Broadheads for the lady

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I had a bad experience with Rage 2-blade this weekend… needless to say I’ll be switching this next season.

I shoot a decently fast bow, so I have a lot of choices. What about the wife with a low poundage bow? Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice broadhead that will increase chances of penetration & pass through? Preferably mechanical so she doesn’t have to change the sights and mess with helical vanes, etc. Tried the 40KE’s, they’re out.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I could be wrong, but I believe you may want to go with a cut on contact type of broadhead vs. mechanical because of the low poundage. Reason being, mechanical broadheads require more kinetic energy to be effective. Therefore, a cut on contact starts slicing on impact and doesn’t stop until the arrow stops.
    I don’t have any personal experience with a cut on contact type, but a good buddy of mine uses the G5 montecs for moose, bear and deer and swears by them!
    Good luck!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I would look at G5 Striker, Montec, or Slick Tricks. Maybe even the NAP Bloodrunners. My guess is she won’t be shooting long distances anyway. They may fly fine without adjustments out to 30yds or so.

tres_pezon
    Plymouth, MN

Check out the Grimreaper Razorcut. It has a cut-on-contact leading tip, mechanical deployment so she doesn’t have to dink around with her pins and a nice cutting diameter.

I started using them last year. Got to follow one epic blood trail and was very impressed with the performance.

Good luck!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Cool thanks for the tips guys (pun definitely intended)! I will be looking at the Montec or Slick Trick standard probably. Sounds like a fixed is preferable for low poundage bows.

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

My girlfriend shoots muzzy 100 grains with hers and has had excelent luck with them. I belive she is pulling 40-42 pounds

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

we set wild thang up with the 1″ cut montec, I personally shoot the 2 blade Rage and like with any other broadhead when placed in the vitals does an excellent job

joef
    La Crosse, WI

I shoot G5 strikers and have had good luck with them, they fly straight 30 yards no adjustment and I have had good penetration with them. My buddy shoots shuttle T-lok and they are pretty awesome, he killed a buck a few years ago and put it through the shoulder blade, i was pretty impressed.

rubber
    river falls wi

I have had good luck with the g5 montec. I pull just over 50 lbs and both the deer I have shot with them have ben straight pass throughs one at 25 yards and the other at 40. It’s the best brodhead I’ve used but have not shot a lot of mechanical brodheads

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Take the wife to a bow shop that has a chronograph, have her shoot the arrows she hunts with through it. Knowing the fps that the bow throws the arrows will allow the shop to determine her approx kenetic energy rate for her setup. Then pose this same question to them. I don’t know what the low end legal limits for bow poundage is where you are from, but you may find if it is at the lowest limits (30-35??), a pass through shot may not be possible regardless of the hunting head used. Good Luck!

tarcar

Slick tricks are great

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Slick tricks are great

I sell several types of heads in the shop…Slick Tricks have tested out extremely well and several Elk hunters I know returned from Mechs to this style of head.
    A well tuned 35-40# bow will acheive a boiler room pass thru with the proper spine arrow, 1 inch diam cut on contact broadhead and 8-10 GPI of total arrow weight. I’ve seen this already many times with young uns and women…Just keep the shots under 20 yards.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I suppose it depends on what poundage she is drawing at. I always recommend the Grim Reaper mechanicals, but they are not recommended under 50lbs. Otherwise, in my kids case, I have them shooting the G5’s because they only draw 35lbs.

The last thing you want to do is use a mechanical and only have it penetrate a couple inches…realllllly long tracking job!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Wow, good info. Resounding answer is fixed. Slick tricks or montec it will be for her! I think i’m going to go with a T3 and some AXIS arrows for myself.

Thanks a lot guys.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

In regards to Easton Axis arrows, remember that due to their smaller shaft diameter, the diameter of the head you choose may be larger than the shaft. You’ll need to install a snap on piece onto the arrow shaft to help balance out the difference. I use the Tekan II head, and it is necessary for their use.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was shooting Cabelas arrows until two years ago when I switched to the Axis. I can’t believe how much harder they hit. I’ve been very happy with them since switching.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.