Camp Ripley

• Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I didn’t want to highjack another post so I ask it here. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the archery hunt? I would love to apply but I’m having second thoughts. I was told it’s a complete rat race. Long lines to get in, over crowding, etc. Is it worth my time having never been there to attempt it this year? Are you allowed to scout at all before the hunt or do you just learn more from year to year? I just called the MN DNR and asked a few questions and the guy just sounded like he wanted nothing more than to get off the phone with me. I have no trips out of Wisconsin planned this year and this would be a great quick trip. Any help would be great!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve heard the same things Jigger. However, I think if you know this going into the situation it will make a big difference. I know guys who have hunted there quite a bit. They all have had deer busted due to some guy wondering through the woods. It happens.

I’ll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Everything you hear about the Ripley hunt is true. Just like Kooty said, the key is going into the hunt knowing that you will run into people. It’s not your typical hunt! Stay in your stand as long as you can. People will start getting down from their stands and deer will get pushed around. The thing you gotta keep telling yourself is the next deer you see could very well be a booner!

kooty
    Keymaster

This deer was shot last year. Not to shabby of a deer.

I spent quite a few days on Ripley for guards in the past. I was always amazed at the size of the some of the deer there.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Here is another one that was killed last year.

These are the deer that make dealing with all the crap worth it….

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Trust me when I say I am prepared to put up with the over crowding. I’m more or less fighting a loosing battle trying to convince my hunting buddies. It’s lookin like this is going to be a solo mission for me. Looking at the rules, it looks like just getting into the camp is a hassle. If I do draw, are the camping arrangements enought to hold a 30’camper?

kooty
    Keymaster

If we happen to draw, I’d gladly help you in anyway I can. I had planned on tenting it, so maybe we can work something out.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I’m applying right now, if I draw, you are more than welcome to leave the tent at home.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I pull my 32′ there and it is no problem. Some guys have the country star diesel pusher rigs…. livin in style Ripley is a different kind of hunt.. you maximize tree time, you get 2 days, thats it. Like Dennis said, if you cna stay put, from around 11am-1pm, when other guys are meeting at the truck for a sandwich… it is like the worlds biggest deer drive happening. I never get out of my tree, I take my sandwich with and sit it out. I have been rewarded with a beauty 10 pt and numerous doe deer.

big G

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I take the first week of November off every year and sit from sun up to sun down so I have no problem sitting all day. If I can keep my santitiy for 9 days. I can pull off another 2. Hope I draw….

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

When is the Ripley hunt?

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s always on the 3rd weekend in Oct. MEA weekend. 10/21 – 10/22

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

From the MN DNR website.

10/21/10 – 10/22/10
    Deer hunt – Camp Ripley archery hunt – 1st season

10/30/10 – 10/31/10
    Deer hunt – Camp Ripley archery hunt – 2nd season

kooty
    Keymaster

Looks to be about 2500 tags issued for the first hunt. With about an 8% success rate. Not super great odds. However, it’s a hunt and an experience. I always said during guards I wanted to go back and hunt there. Watched a black bear chase a dude across our compound one day. Funny stuff. 50 + guys with weapons and not a single bullet.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Kooty, where did you get the 8% success ? I imagine you are talking kill percentage. Draw % is probably around 80-90% success and quite honestly, most guys in my group are BIG horns hunting only… so kill % is skewed, I would guess that if everybody shot the 1st deer they seen, it would be about 60% success. Good luck to all in the draw !!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

2500 tags issued…how big is Ripley? Sounds interesting to say the least. I heard it’s like a shot gun start in the morning and you have to be back at a certain time too?

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

After the slobs killed in there last year, I would be willing to wager a few cold ones that there might be a few more people applying this year…

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

50,000 plus acres.

kooty
    Keymaster

Sorta Mike. You have to check in each morning and be out of the woods by 7:30PM each day. No doubt it’s a bit of a cluster. There are a couple off limit areas, which I wouldn’t want to be in anyway. With all the unspent ordinance there.

G, got the results from this web page:

Results

Scroll down the page a bit. In 2008, there was a record harvest. Lots of does taken that year.

kooty
    Keymaster

Tru Dat!! Especially when both bucks were plastered in magazines like Field & Stream.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually if all goes as planned tomorrow morning….I won’t be going to Ripley…instead on thursday night, I will be heading to Montana for some Cow Elk action & whitetail doe surplus tags up for grabs tomorrow morning at 8AM…hope my typing and internet connection are true

lick

Good luck Glen

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I think everyone should try it at least once!!! If you don’t like it, don’t go back. Part of the fun for me is the waiting in line, camping out,, bs’ing with the buddies. It’s a lot of anticipation and excitement wrapped in one. you KNOW big bucks will be downed over the next 2 days, the only question is if you will be lucky enough to have an opportunity.

I don’t mind that there are guys that don’t want to go, it’ gives me a better shot at getting in every year. IF you have a spot producing nice deer and you have a better shot on your home property then stay home, I would. BUT, if you want an experience , go to Ripley.

8% success. It’s only 8% because many of the hunters are passing on deer. If you got paid $10,000 if you came back with a deer, I bet it would be closer to 80-90%.

Ask anyone that’s been going there for a few years or more, and I would bet they have a story about a big buck that they got, had a chance to get, or someone in their group got.

Try it, you will be glad you did.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

OH,
    And it was mentioned but I will confirm again.

THE SAME REASON WHY GUYS DON’T LIKE TO GO TO RIPLEY IS THE EXACT REASON WHY I DO LIKE TO GO. The HUNTERS. I don’t care when I see a guy walk past me,, I know he’s moving deer which is good,,,right. A few years back I had a GIANT come back through 2 dudes that walked no more than 100 yards from me. He wasn’t close enough but it was wild.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Very good points walleybuster. I’ve never hunted it but I believe Camp Ripley is what you make it out to be. It’s all about your attitude going in there and I would consider it a gift if I shot a buck in there. The one thing I like is everyone is on the same playing field, playing by the same rules which forces hunters to get along with one another.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.