Getting back into Archery

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After being out of the Archery scene for many years I’m thinking about back into it this next year. I’m not sure if I will get back into the hunting side of it (But who knows) But would like to just get back to shooting. I’d also like to get my daughter( 6 yrs old ) into it with me. My ? is how much money am I looking at to get myself and her set up. I’d like a nice setup, not top of the line but not junk either. I know given how fast she is likely to grow that I don’t want to spend a ton of money on her setup for sure but would like to get her into something decent that will help her begin to enjoy the sport. So much has changed since I last shot that I’m sure i will be shocked at how different everything is. I guess the best thing to do is to take a trip to a archery shop ( I know check out Schaffers ) If anyone is looking at getting a new setup and is looking to sell there old bow, feel free to PM me with the details. Also if anyone knows of someone that has a youth bow that they want to sell let me know. Thanks.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I have a 6 or 7 year old, left handed Hoyt for sale. Everything you need to shoot. Including arrows and release. I ‘m pretty sure it has a 29.5″ draw. 60-70lbs.

PM me if interested.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

What’s your draw length?

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s great to hear that you want to get back into archery! And it’s even better to hear that you want to introduce it to your daughter!

How much money will it cost you? That’s a little hard to say because there are so many choices out there in regard to bows much less all the different accessories (sights, rests, releases, stabilizers, arrows, bow cases, targets etc…).

Obviously if you buy used, you will save some significant money. However, do not buy used because you think it’s a good deal. Only buy used if you think the bow fits you right and only you. Make sure you go to someone who can measure your draw length properly.

Purchasing a bow for target shooting versus hunting is also a major difference. Just something to think about…

I would not invest a lot of money in a youth bow for your daughter who’s only 6. She’s not going to know any difference in the quality of the bow. Make it very simple. The most important thing is to make sure she has a positive experience with it and that she likes to do it. If she progresses, then you may want to invest in a better bow for her in the future.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m guessing that my draw length is around 29″ ( Unless I’ve shrunk ) and I’m right handed. Thanks.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

First of all welcome back!

For you: There are a ton if used bows out there. I’m guessing you could get something pretty decent all ready and set up properly for about $ 500-600. Look at the Mission Bows made by Mathews. I read a lot of good stuff and reviews about them and that their the best bow for the money. Just go to an archery shop and see what they have. Since you live in Savage, stop by Schaffer’s in Burnsville and have those boys help you out!

For you Daughter: They make bows that both adjustable in poundage and draw length for the Youth. You should be able to find something

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

For your daughter I would give the Matthews Genesis a look. I bought one for my son a few years back (he was around 6 at the time) and he is still using it. They have a draw range from as little as you want to pull them back all the way out to 30″. They also can be turned down to around 10 pounds. You should be able to find a used one for around $100-$150. For you I would check all makes out, just to see what you like. If I were going to try and get into the sport without breaking the bank I would look into the Mission (Mathews) line of bows. My favorite bow that I’ve shot is the BowTech Guardian.

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

Quote:

First of all welcome back!

For you: There are a ton if used bows out there. I’m guessing you could get something pretty decent all ready and set up properly for about $ 500-600. Look at the Mission Bows made by Mathews. I read a lot of good stuff and reviews about them and that their the best bow for the money. Just go to an archery shop and see what they have. Since you live in Savage, stop by Schaffer’s in Burnsville and have those boys help you out!

For you Daughter: They make bows that both adjustable in poundage and draw length for the Youth. You should be able to find something

X2 you can pick a Mission set up for a very good price and they have adjustable draw lenght and wieght so it would be a great bow for any young/beginer another pretty decent bow you can buy set up that might be a good one to look at is the diamond razors edge..I think the complete setup is $350 is at gander..Then once the hook is set you both can get a Mathews

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’m looking at a new bow. and would get rid of my loaded switchback xt 29.5 in draw right hand

huntfish42
    SSP, MN

For your daughter check out the Fuse Freestyle – we got our son one for Christmas and he absolutely loves it. It is very adjustable and looks just like daddy’s bow. I believe I paid around $140 for it and I also bought a Tru-Fire Patriot Jr. release and set him up with some of my older carbon arrows and bolted on a whisker biscuit. The bow shoots great, and they make a pink camo pattern for the little ladies

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Cool, thanks for sharing Huntfish42!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.