Bow Noise tests

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

My friend Tim (HHS StringHush) recently purchased a very exotic decibel meter to test his new string silencers. We put together a variety of bows and I thought we got some interesting results…

Average decibel level taken over 5 shots. Microphone placed exactly 6 feet from the right side surface of the bow. Pretty much stock rigged bows…

Meland 64″ Longbow ( FF string w Beaver Balls) 87.2 dbs

Monster Dragon (from factory, 2 leeches)89.6 dbs

Monster Dragon (Leeches removed, four 4″ Hush) 88.0 dbs

Mathews Drenalin XT (from factory)…89.8 dbs

Bowtech Liberty (from factory)…84.2 dbs

Mathews Switchback: 90.8 dB

Bowtech Allegiance: 90.9 dB

Martin Slay-R: 93.0 dB

Alpine Denali: 93.1 dB

Hoyt V-Tec: 94.3 dB

PSE Vengeance: 94.9 dB

Darton Tempest: 95.3 dB

Oneida Black Eagle: 98.0 dB

Oneida Black Eagle: 10″ Hush, 4 Limbsavers= 89 dbs

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

This is great, I always thought those funky looking Oneidas sounded like a beaver smacking his tail on the water!

Joel

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I was surprised to see the longbow come in so low. I am a stick/string shooter and always figured everybody knows when I shoot.

My father used to have a Oneida and it sounded like a tree snapping off in wind storm every time the arrow left the rest. Of course in those days a(many moons ago)the thought was “its so fast the deer doesnt have time to react to the sound”. My rig the deer lift thier head, look around and then go back to feeding by time the arrow gets to em.

lick

gotta have beaver balls thou

on your bow anyhow

does it register the swearing after the shot also????

tom_gursky

Quote:

gotta have beaver balls thou

on your bow anyhow

does it register the swearing after the shot also????

You betcha…
    Johnny, Dacron strings are quite a bit quieter than FF…and I shot a 2115 alum at about 52#…which would help slow the vibration down also. Beaver balls are cool but not very effective…catwhiskers work probably the best but slow the arrow the most…Bear hunters like me really don’t care about speed at all…give me a quiet heavy arrow at a reasonable speed with a razor sharp, big strong head like a Snuffer or Zwicky 4 bld…

tom_gursky

Quote:

My rig the deer lift thier head, look around and then go back to feeding by time the arrow gets to em

lick

i wouldnt use beaver balls as they may attract wolves

tom_gursky

I thought the only wolves in Sparta were hanging out at the local Pub….

lick

actually …. not to steal the thread but there is a wolf pack on fort mccoy 10 miles from sparta my buddy has multiple trail camera pics and another buddy had his dog (coon hound) killed right in his yard while it was tied up

tom_gursky

Quote:

actually …. not to steal the thread but there is a wolf pack on fort mccoy 10 miles from sparta my buddy has multiple trail camera pics and another buddy had his dog (coon hound) killed right in his yard while it was tied up

Thats a bad deal…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wow interesting Tom. Thanks for sharing this information.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I think it would be interesting to see what happens to the levels on a given setup when a person would add an additional 25 grains to the point – same setup same arrow just a heavier or lighter tip
    400 grain arrow vs a 425 grain setup or even 450

Thanks for sharing, that’s some cool info!

Jeff

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

how bout with blazers

tom_gursky

We just did that JDX… I was surprised to find that it took a substantial amount of extra weight to reduce the DBS…I went from a 75gr to a 150gr point and there was only 0.04 DBS diff…

Protour…we also mixed Blazers, Rayzrs, 4″ Vanes, and 4″ feathers on arrows and a few different rests…Quad 4, WB DLX, and a GK Superstar. There was minimal difference on these issues…BUT! Since we were trying to focus on the string noise we didn’t try a lot of variables that would sure be interesting to investigate.
    BTW…decibel meters are only about $50 and a Stab mounted Chrony about $100.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.