Getting deer to come out into a field

• rattlin_2

I hunt in western WI, and have a question. There is an 80 acre property that is a mix of wood and set-aside. I have permission to hunt the open field and pasture that lies to the west, and also land that borders it to the south, however, that property is just an open maple woods. For the past three nights, I have sat of the brushy fenceline of the field, and I have had multiple does and a few nice bucks that I have called into range, but they wont cross the fence. I do have permission to trail deer on the 80 acres though. I always are calling the deer out of a wooded draw on the other side of the fence. The draw runs down into the land in the south. Would it be easier to put a decoy out in the field or try to call from the open woods? The deer are bedding in that draw. Any help would be appreciated!!!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

are you hunting for a doe (because of EAB) or a buck?

that’s going to change your responses I think. In my scenario right now, I can’t shoot a buck because I haven’t gotten a doe yet, so i’m not going to decoy and call in a buck if I can’t shoot it. All that’s going to do is scare away does.

rattlin_2

I am going after a buck. I see them all the time, but I just cannot get them to commit. I just bought a decoy last night, so I may try that tonight.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

have you tried rattling?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think your decoy will be a huge help this time of year with the rut. Like mentioned, rattling etc…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.