Anyone thinking of a fishing kayak?

• bigpike

I sold my old yaks last fall and hunted for a new one all winter. I settled on this Old Town Vapor 10. After using it for a few weeks now I couldnt be any more happy with the purchase. 2 rod holders, an anchor on a pulley system, open cockpit roomy for your gear, adjustable foot pegs and chair, stabilty and maneuverability are all things I love about it. At $470 this boat is priced and designed right!

Attachments:
    1. 20160423_134114.jpg

gary d
    cordova,il

Grandson loves fishing from his kayak. When we go up north he has a blast in it. I made a trailer for him for this summer so he can pull his kayak down to the back waters. I made it so he can pull it down with his bike or garden tractor.

Attachments:
    1. k-trailer-002.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Love my vapor.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Hope to get the Chupacabra out more this season. designed as a SUP-yak but also has a chair to use as a sit on top.

Attachments:
    1. image-56.jpeg

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

@bigpike, do you find it hard to stay in the seat with it upside down like that? whistling

bigpike

rev, not sure whats up with my upside down pics lately, is it the way I hold the phone?

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

rev, not sure whats up with my upside down pics lately, is it the way I hold the phone?

Beats me, I can barely take a picture with my phone, let alone do anything with it. I have to have my kids do anything technology related…

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

@bigpike, do you find it hard to stay in the seat with it upside down like that? whistling

Good perspective for rolling.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Got mine out yesterday for the first time… really enjoy it on smaller waters, and the big boat gets used less because of it.

I have a sit on top… wish I could find a way of lasting longer in it. Sore rear end. I really like some of the newer models with the adjustable height seat so you can get in different positions through a long day.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a canoe that I fish out of occasionally. Quite a few friends of mine fish out of kayaks quite a bit and I am looking to picking one up for myself. I find it tough to justify spending $500+ setup on a decent yak when I’m unsure how much i’ll use it but the cheap ones are junk. If anyone is upgrading, let me know!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You can buy cheaper ones and outfit yourself. I did that with one of ours. Ended up finding and installing flush mounted rod holders along with cleats and paddle keeper. Has worked out very well and I have far less than $300 into it. I cant remember exactly what I paid last year but bought the kayak at Dick’s. That same kayak stickers at $300 now. This one:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3986120&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832&categoryId=13041155

Check out the comments. There are a ton of them and they are generally very complimentary. Great entry level Kayak and likely all we will ever need.

404 ERROR
    MN

The problem I have is I would also like to duck hunt out of it in the fall. I am looking at the Perception Sound 10.5 and will most likely bite once I see one on sale somewhere.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That makes sense. I would want a better one if duck hunting. Good luck.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I have a canoe that I fish out of occasionally. Quite a few friends of mine fish out of kayaks quite a bit and I am looking to picking one up for myself. I find it tough to justify spending $500+ setup on a decent yak when I’m unsure how much i’ll use it but the cheap ones are junk. If anyone is upgrading, let me know!

Don’t know if it applies to you, but I’ve taken to using my kayak paddle in my canoe. I find it easier to paddle and control in wind or current when it’s just me in there. Give it a try…

bigpike

From what I can see its the exact same boat. It has all the same features
    The color selection is different, the price is the same or very close.

bigpike

Being 6’7″ you will love that roomy cockpit and the adjustable footpegs.

404 ERROR
    MN

Anyone have one of these? Been on the fence about getting a kayak. This thread has made me turn the corner! http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18666536 How similar is this to the vapor? My only problem is that I’m 6′ 7″ and am worried about leg room and being comfortable. Any feedback? thanks

For fishing, I think I would rather have a non-closing storage in the back to hold a tackle bag or cooler. I have a buddy who has a Perception Sound Angler and I really liked the storage on it. He got a dozen decoys strapped to the back just fine when hunting also.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Perception-Sound-10-5-Angler-Kayak-Moss-Camo&i=941063&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=393431303633&gclid=CPKmuMqwscwCFYSAaQods7gN9w

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

Anyone have one of these? Been on the fence about getting a kayak. This thread has made me turn the corner! http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18666536 How similar is this to the vapor? My only problem is that I’m 6′ 7″ and am worried about leg room and being comfortable. Any feedback? thanks

My tip to you would probably be to look at sit-on-top models which will allow your legs to stretch out and hang out of the kayak as you want. They’re a lot more comfortable IMO than a sit-in version. Especially if you’ve got any type of “captains chair” which will raise you up a few more inches without sacrificing too much stability.

Because when I only really kayak rivers, I opted for a Jackson Coosa which I can say is my favorite kayak that I’ve owned out of the last 6 or 7. The other kayak that I regret selling was an Ocean Kayak Trident 13. That was a phenomenal kayak as well.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

One thing to think about when considering a kayak is some places will hold on water demos when summer rolls around. There may be an opportunity to test drive different manufacturers & models. Not sure how many stores do them but it may be worth looking into.

MikeH

Merican Eagle,

I was just looking for a fishing/hunting kayak too. I wanted a sit-on-top for getting in and out easily while hunting, and one with a lot of on deck storage for decoys. Got a Future Beach Discovery from Dicks. Might be worth considering – only $300 now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The sit on tops seem to all have holes in the hull. Do your feet get wet?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just an FYI Cabelas has a very good sale going on. Emotion 10-footer rigged for fishing. Basic entry level but all some would ever need including me.
    $299. I could see that Dicks has a lot of Emotion kayaks in the window but I did not stop in for price. We bought one there a couple years ago and my wife loves it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.