Anyone replace an air conditioner lately?

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just bought a house and it has an ancient air conditioner. Anyone replace an AC lately or anyone know how much I should expect to spend?

I know the static cost of buying a new unit, it’s not that I’m worried about, it’s the labor. Every estimate I find online is mentioning stuff like duct work and stuff, but we are already setup with central air. Is it possible to just replace the unit, or is there a lot more to it than that?

Most units are looking like ~$1500 or so, but all the estimates I’m finding are like 3-5k, is there really that much additional cost on top of the unit?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It all depends on how old the unit is and if they can reuse the existing “A” coil, line set, electrical connections, Thermostat wiring ect.

If all those things are in line, the $1,500 cost seems about right, but without knowing those things, it is a crapshoot.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We replaced our furnace in September. We got quotes to do the AC at the same time, but we opted not to. $3-5K sounds about right. We looked at Trane and Lennox.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It all depends on how old the unit is and if they can reuse the existing “A” coil, line set, electrical connections, Thermostat wiring ect.

If all those things are in line, the $1,500 cost seems about right, but without knowing those things, it is a crapshoot.

Haha welllll, our AC looks a lot like this one:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d_jDsCQdqqQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

If your Ac is that old , your furnace is probably just as old. Makes sense to upgrade Both at the same time to high efficiency units . Your old Ac is most likely an r22 unit , new ones are 410, so you would need to replace the line set and acoil. If your ductwork is already sized correctly , there would just be modifications to adapt to the new furnace . Cost will vary depending on size , brand , efficiency , etc.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Our furnace is actually pretty new, I think it’s at most 6 or 7 years old. So maybe some of those modifications have already been done.

I’m going to have to have some people come in and give quotes obviously, but wanted to see if that 3-5k number was right. Was really hoping it would be cheaper :).

I think I can handle 3k, 5k is probably going to be a bit tougher to stomach though.

mattgroff

We own a hvac company let me know what you are looking for and I can give you any info you need. Let me know where you live if you have not bought yet I can give you a estimate.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Stay around $3000 don’t pay much more. A non high seer rated one will work and @ $3000 they will make money. You will need a new A-coil new condenser (outside unit) if they can change out the line set get that done. Flushing them out works just fine if it can’t be replaced. Same price no extra charge.

Both ways work but it is always better to change the line set out since the refrigerant is difference and they use different oils.

mattgroff

Not sure the size of the unit you are looking for but I can do a 2.5 ton carrier a/c and coil for 2,200
    Or a Goodman for 2,000

I would opt for the Goodman reliable and parts are cheap to fix and warranty is great.
    Thanks Matt.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not sure the size of the unit you are looking for but I can do a 2.5 ton carrier a/c and coil for 2,200
    Or a Goodman for 2,000

I would opt for the Goodman reliable and parts are cheap to fix and warranty is great.
    Thanks Matt.

I live in Mahtomedi, are you based in the cities? Not sure what size we need, our house is 2600 square feet, but about half of that is below ground and it’s a one story home. So far it has stayed pretty cool inside, but it also hasn’t been very warm out.

Would love to give business to someone on here though, would feel better about that then whoever I find on google.

I’m guessing those are your prices for just the equipment right?

Thanks for all the info dudes.

Edit: we can take this to PMs if it’s more comfortable for you!

mattgroff

No that is material and labor. We are based out of rosemount we have been in business for 25 years I live in Inver grove heights I do side jobs all the time we can take care of you shoot me a text 651-336-3818

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

You’re the man, I’ll shoot you a text!

Reef W

I got new 96% luxaire furnace, new luxaire AC, aprilaire 2410 air purifier, and a refurb of existing humidifier with upgrade to outdoor temp sensor installed last year (or two years ago?) for $6100 and there was $550 in rebates at the time.

Fisherpaul

We did our last summer. We have a 98 percent efficiency rated Trane. And also had the Central air done at the same time and whole home humidifier added. Our total cost after the rebates were 5400 dollars. Bugt we’re not in the metro either.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

We are in the process of getting quotes for a total (ac and furnace) replacement. Our houses sound like a similar set up with ours being a little smaller at 2450 sq ft. I have 3 (Lennox, Tempstar, Carrier) quotes from different places. All range between 5,000 and 8,700 depending on how far up the rated efficiency ladder you want to go. For us it makes sense to go with a little better unit when you look at the kickbacks you can from utilities.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Standard Heating and Air Conditioning damn near wipe out our family. I would suggest avoiding them. Seriously.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I had a good experience two years ago with Boehm out of St. Paul.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

We had a Goodman installed last summer by a friend working on the side for our smallish ranch for about $1700. Our regular furnace guy quoted $2350 for a comparable Comfortmaker and $3700 for all the bells and whistles. The Goodman seems rock solid and our guy said it was the way to go. I think it might be a little louder than a Comfortmaker, but we’re happy with the unit and deal.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just wanted to close this out a bit. Ended up giving Matt a call and he came out yesterday and got the job done by himself, what a beast.

Anyone looking for any HVAC work should look him up, thanks Matt!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.