Anyone else making Homemade Jigs

• sidescan

I have been having good luck with homemade balanced Baby Perch imitations this ice season. I first used them hung under strike indicators (bobber) in the summer flyfishing for Rainbow and Brown trout on lakes I fish that have Perch populations with great success. Thought I’d try them for Jumbo Perch and they have been smacking them this ice fishing season as well LOL. Good fun and rewarding making your own lure’s or flies and landing fish on them. Fish safe

Attachments:
    1. Perch-Fly-004.jpg

2. Perch-Fly-002.jpg

sidescan

Next project is working on a internal scent chamber.On a Daiichi 4660 #6 I use a sewing pin to extend the body and to hold the ultra heavy Tungsten cone to help get them down fast and lets them sit level. I added a rattle (the hot ticket) as well on these later models and they seem to help with hookups. I use white polypropylene yarn to build a body shape and which is easy to work with and color with permanent markers for the shading. I use uv instant set epoxy mixed with craft ultrafine glitter in diffent colors for sparkle and shading.If you are looking for a winter hobby tying or making lures can be fun and rewarding expermenting with patterns during the long winter nights. Fish safe

Attachments:
    1. Perch-Fly-003.jpg

2. Perch-Fly-001.jpg

3. Perch-Fly-005.jpg

begforeyes

Very interesting. Looks like a great hobby! Are you able to get the needed equipment at a fishing retailer like Cabela’s or do you order from a specialty store?

Very cool. Glad you’ve had success on the water too!

sidescan

Thx I enjoy it as you always are learning. I guided for thirty years so tying was part of it,so I have built up a pile of materials. I try buy bulk whenever possible, I use Hagan’s out of Mitchell SD Hagansfish.com for bulk, Cabela’s and other fishing stores and fly tying shops for the newer trick item’s available now days. I retired a couple years ago and now live further North so I order off the web these days mainly for convenience. Good fun, hope to find time to work on baby trout and walleye, and watch the cannibals eat. Pic. is one I took of a client with a nice bonefish on Little Cayman Island West Indies where I guided winters for twenty odd years. He was fishing one of my bonefish flies. Fish safe

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0025_14.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.