Anyone been out lately?

• walleyevision

Heading up Saturday and really looking forward to it. Has anyone been fishing lately? Have the walleyes left the shallows yet?

Trying to figure out where to start, flats or rock/sand up shallow. I heard the bug hatch was really bad last Saturday, hopefully they’re done.

Ripjiggen

I always start shallow and work deeper on Mille lacs. Yes there are fish in all the spots you mentioned. Shallow deep rock sand and mud.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

With the temps keeping the water cooler I was still be focusing on the shallow first break yet 12-18ft, sliding out to deeper water later as the sun comes up or the area is getting alot of pressure. Caught 34 on saturday for 2 guys, despite the bugs and flat calm conditions. Guys I know went out to a couple flats and didnt really mark squat, but as said before there is always fish out there.

Ripjiggen

Caught just as many fish on the flats last Saturday as I did on shoreline. The water temps were up to 68 last weekend which is very warm for this time of year. I’m sure dropped like a rock this week getting them closer to normal. Seeing more fish on side imaging as water clarity was 10-15 ft in some areas and a boat going over the top was spooking many fish even out on the mud.

walleyevision

Caught just as many fish on the flats last Saturday as I did on shoreline. The water temps were up to 68 last weekend which is very warm for this time of year. I’m sure dropped like a rock this week getting them closer to normal. Seeing more fish on side imaging as water clarity was 10-15 ft in some areas and a boat going over the top was spooking many fish even out on the mud.

Were they up on top of the flats roaming, or relating to the deeper edges?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would be targeting structure off the first breaks unless it’s really crowded

walleyevision

I would be targeting structure off the first breaks unless it’s really crowded

That’s where I’m leaning… unfortunately with Memorial Day weekend, I’m guessing it will be packed.

lunker33
    excelsior

Walleyes are in the shallows year round….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Walleyes are in the shallows year round….

I agree. I never fish flats especially in the summer.
    I will be up tomorrow fishing shallow rocks

walleyevision

I’m thinking I may hit the south end and try the rocks first. There is supposed to be a 8-15mph south wind tomorrow with gusts up to 20 around midday. I like fishing the north side, but not sure if I want to deal that wind.

Good luck to everyone else!

Ripjiggen

Yes start shallow to deep. Like others have said. It will be packed and finding fish that have not been cut up in their school by boats is the key to having a good day vs ok day

Ryan Haller

Got really quiet on here since the closure. Anybody having any luck on smallies? Want to get my nephew out there and find a few footballs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.