Anybody use a Bail-R-Matic self draining boat plug?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Does it really work as advertised? I keep my boat on a lift all summer and dont have a canopy so i’d like to avoid the added weight rainwater adds to the boat until I can flip the bilge switch on…

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

looks like the one I had, worked good and it says 100% warranty…

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I have used that same brand for many years on two different boats with no problems.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve never had the need for one, but have heard they can get clogged with junk and not reseal fully when back in the water. Just something to be aware of.

cheers

I had issues with mine, plugging , not sealing,I have gone to bilge pump on automatic switch, no issues with dead battery . Been doing it for 4 years no problem

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I keep my boat on a lift all summer

Does the lift sit above the water line? Couldn’t you just take the plug out to drain any rain?

CaptainMusky

Most plugs are installed from the outside so that would be a total PITA.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I keep my boat on a lift all summer

Does the lift sit above the water line? Couldn’t you just take the plug out to drain any rain?

My Skeeter plug screws in from the outside of the boat, the back of the boat sits above 6′ of water depth on the lift, so I would need to go swimming or float on a tube every time I put the plug back in, trying to avoid that….

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Seems a lot easier to do than dinking around with auto bilges and bait o matics. But then again I’m taller with longer arms than the average bear.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I had issues with mine, plugging , not sealing,I have gone to bilge pump on automatic switch, no issues with dead battery . Been doing it for 4 years no problem

yep, my auto-bilge isn’t working right now, just looking for a quick workable solution until I have time over the winter months to climb inside the boat to fix/replace it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Seems a lot easier to do than dinking around with auto bilges and bait o matics. But then again I’m taller with longer arms than the average bear.

There’s ZERO chance I could remove the plug leaning over the back of the boat or reaching from the dock…only option is to jump in the lake or get on one of my kids tubes and float over to it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve never had the need for one, but have heard they can get clogged with junk and not reseal fully when back in the water. Just something to be aware of.

yep,that’s my worry and wanted to get owner input to confirm that…sounded too good to be true…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I also sprayed some 303 Fabric guard on sections of the cover to help some of the rain water slide off and not soak through to inside the boat, we’ll see…

CaptainMusky

Well I am 6’3″ and have a nearly 7 foot wingspan and there is NO CHANCE I could reach the plug from inside the boat when on a lift. I have a really deep transom and laying on my stomach with my head near the water doesnt interest me in the least.

Rick Janssen

I had one and I had some leaks, but I think that was “operator error” because I could not really get enough angle on it from the inside to get it really tight.

Deuces

In your particular situation I’d try it. If it’s on a lift you’d be able to tell if it’s leaking and change out plugs if it ever does before anything goes sideways.

If you were to be docking it at a marina in the water id have a different opinion.

JoeMX1825
    MN

i’m gonna try it for $35, i’ll report back my experiences with it…

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

yep,that’s my worry and wanted to get owner input to confirm that…sounded too good to be true…

I’m definitely not saying they are bad at all, I’ve heard many people love them. If I had a bigger boat I’d likely get one. However I’d give the bilge a good rinse and make sure there isn’t any small junk that could get sucked into the outlet. Have heard sunflower shells are a big issue.

BTW, for anyone thinking this would work well for a boat sitting at the dock, you’d be wrong. The water level in the boat would need to get higher than the water level outside in order for it to open, which would force equilibrium between the two. These work great for boats stored on a lift or trailer, not sitting in the water. While in the water, once you get up on plane they open allowing drainage of whatever is in the bilge. A full bilge would make it quite difficult to get up on plane. They are great for those older boats with minor leaks that are difficult to find/fix.

isu22andy

How’s the nut prevented from backing off and jiggling loose over time ? Just looks like a nylon nut ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How’s the nut prevented from backing off and jiggling loose over time ? Just looks like a nylon nut ?

Friction fit just like livewell pumps. Elbow grease. Tighten and let be.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well I am 6’3″ and have a nearly 7 foot wingspan and there is NO CHANCE I could reach the plug from inside the boat when on a lift. I have a really deep transom and laying on my stomach with my head near the water doesnt interest me in the least.

Haha. I’ve got a 10 foot wingspan.

I can reach the plug on a fiberglass warrior with wackers on the back. Did it more than once in my Grandfather’s previous boat when he forgot the plug. Nearly ended up in the drink though. jester

CaptainMusky

One thing I learned is that my auto bilge isn’t as auto as I thought. It won’t come on unless the master power is on which I thought was weird. I thought it used to.

munchy
    NULL

If you look close on the bottom of the nylon nut there is a black o ring that would keep pressure on the assembly. But I’d put a little bit of silicone on it as well to help secure everything.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240709_115115.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

One thing I learned is that my auto bilge isn’t as auto as I thought. It won’t come on unless the master power is on which I thought was weird. I thought it used to.

most (including mine) are directly wired to the main battery

munchy
    NULL

There may be a jumper somewhere that got mixed up during a reassembly at one time. However not all boats have the bilge hardwired to the battery.

CaptainMusky

That could be the case because I had my boat re-rigged last year dealing with a different issue and he may not have hooked it up right. I know the pump, both actually do work however.

munchy
    NULL

That could be the case because I had my boat re-rigged last year dealing with a different issue and he may not have hooked it up right. I know the pump, both actually do work however.

Look on the backside of the main switch, if there is a smaller secondary wire coming off the switched/load lug, move it to the line/battery lug. If it’s not there it may have been removed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.