Anybody Chasing Smallies Lately?

• Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

The wind is supposed to be tolerable on Saturday so I was thinking about heading out for some SMB. Haven’t been out since June, wondering what’s working.

Thanks,

Joe

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Did you go? I plan on going tommorrow. Trying to see if anything worked out for you ?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

When does the sucker bite start?

Bass-n-Eyes

I did go, one of the slower bites I’ve had. I’ve only fished smallies on Mille Lacs in the spring and fall so there were a few things I didn’t expect. I dont know if its normally this way in the summer but the rocks I fish had a lot of grass on them. They looked “furry” on side imaging and was constantly cleaning grass off my baits. Also the water clarity was the worst I’ve seen here, maybe 3 feet. I’m used to being able to see the bottom in up to 10 feet of water. Fished the north side mostly along with MyrMar and Garrison areas. The weather site I looked at blew the wind forecast, supposed to be WSW 5-10, more like 15-20. Pretty rough in the afternoon. Did catch a dozen or so, no giants. Everything came on ned rigs and dropshot. Moving baits didn’t produce anything. Lots of people out chasing bass, I think there was some sort of high school tournament going on. Didn’t see many caught around me though. I’m staying up here (inlaws live on the lake) so I’ll try again tomorrow.

Ripjiggen

They got a lot of rain last night which is why the water is dirty. Move deeper inf you want the bigger ones and less weeds on the rocks.

They always bite in suckers but the good bite doesn’t start till September.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I dont know if its normally this way in the summer but the rocks I fish had a lot of grass on them. They looked “furry” on side imaging and was constantly cleaning grass off my baits. Also the water clarity was the worst I’ve seen here, maybe 3 feet. I’m used to being able to see the bottom in up to 10 feet of water. Fished the north side mostly along with MyrMar and Garrison areas. The weather site I looked at blew the wind forecast, supposed to be WSW 5-10, more like 15-20.

Yes, it always seems come August there’ll be more weed growth and that includes that grass which can make trolling aggravating having to constantly pull your line in to clean it off.

Also it rained good here Wednesday night, again Thursday morning and afternoon, and then yet again Friday evening = dirty water.

Always add 10 when looking at wind forecast for the area. The area is not the same as all that open water.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Just got back. Ned and drop shot got a couple. Oddly enough, a big DT-10 caught about 7. One nice one. The rest about 15inches.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Was able land between 20-25 between 11 and 3 today, nothing over 20, but 1 19″ and 1 18″. all on dropshot between 14 and 28 feet. Just jumping from boulder to boulder.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Also it rained good here Wednesday night, again Thursday morning and afternoon, and then yet again Friday evening = dirty water.

Always add 10 when looking at wind forecast for the area. The area is not the same as all that open water.

x2 especially on the wind forecast.

fishingdm

I was out this afternoon on the north end. Caught two 3lb smallies and one 20″ walleye. Caught them on a chatterbait.

Bass-n-Eyes

Went over to the east side of the lake on Sunday which I had never fished in all the years I’ve fished Mille Lacs. No grass on the rocks and did much better than Saturday, caught a 20″ & 21″ (OK technically the wife caught them) along with lots of 15-19 inch fish. Had another 20+ incher break me off at the boat. (Dang zebra mussels). Everything came on neds and drop shot again, the only thing I could catch on moving baits was a few walleyes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.