Any Salsa Makers?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have 3 jalapeño plants that are huge this year. Thinking of loading up on tomatoes in a couple weeks when they are local and abundant and making salsa

Does anyone have information or recipe on how to jar salsa? I realize it may be involved so whatever information you have or even post a link if you can

Thanks,

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My tomatoes are coming along right now as well as the jalepenos and other goodies. I dug my garlic and shallots today and plan to bundle and hang them tomorrow. Both of these go into my fresh salsa.

I’m not a canned salsa guy so I can’t help with a recipe but fresh salsa and lime chips is just hard to beat. I’ll make a couple quarts of fresh salsa at a time and its seldom in the fridge for more than two days.

Good luck with your canning. Got lids?

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Pretty hard to beat Mrs Dash seasoning packets!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m a salsa maker. Tomatoes are looking good along with 3 different peppers. Hoping for a good year. Details available on a couple months.

MNdrifter

I do a variation of this recipe in the comments. I also watch the video each year to remember how to water bath can. I really like this recipe because it is nice and thick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is the best salsa recipe I have found, and you can adjust the spiciness by adjusting the jalapeño/ghost peppers. I’d call this medium-hot and I like spicy.

Salsa Recipe

8-10 cups quartered blanched tomatoes (skin and stem removed)

1 bunch Cilantro

2-3 onions (baseball size)

8 jalapeños

3-4 Green peppers

1 Cup cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon salt

2 ghost peppers

2 tablespoons minced garlic

simmer/boil without cover until tomatoes are broke down and consistency looks good.

Mash large tomatoes parts while stirring

Can and then process for 20 mins.

Recipe makes about 4-5 quarts

Brad Dimond

Ingredients
    ­ 10-12 Pounds Peeled and Cored Tomatoes
    ­ 1-2 Green Bell Peppers – chopped
    ­ 8-10 Jalapeno Peppers- chopped
    ­ 4-5 Sweet Banana Peppers- chopped
    ­ 1-2 Large Onions- chopped
    ­ 3-4 Cloves of Garlic – minced
    ­ 1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
    ­ 1/4 Cup Sugar
    ­ 1/8 Cup Salt
    ­ 1-2 Tablespoons Cumin
    ­ 24 Ounces of No Salt Added Tomato Paste

Directions
    1. Fill an 8 quart kettle ¾ full of tomatoes. Add chopped peppers, onion and garlic. Simmer approximately 30 minutes, until peppers/onions are tender.
    2. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and cumin. Simmer 30 minutes more.
    3. Add tomato paste, simmer 30 minutes more.
    4. Ladle salsa into sterilized jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Seal and process in boiling water bath or pressure cooker for 10 to 15 minutes.

For additional heat add dried red pepper or double the jalapenos. The more you cook the jalapenos the milder they get; the opposite is true for the dried red pepper.

You can substitute Real Lime for vinegar ounce for ounce. Do not use fresh lime juice, acidity is variable. Real Lime has consistent acidity that is the same as vinegar.

Yield is 12-14 pints of salsa.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Thanks guys! This is getting me excited to try. Have a buddy who would pull out a jar of homemade salsa during hunting season or ice season…. nothing better

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Spent Friday afternoon getting the Salsa finished up!
    My recipe is similar to Brad’s above. For more heat we use less sweet peppers and will sometimes dabble with the ghost peppers.

Attachments:
    1. Salsa2020.jpg

2. Salsa-2020.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a great season. Put up about 20 pints of salsa and about the same in plain stewed tomatoes. It was a great year for tomatoes and peppers at my house.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.