Any one build there own floor for hub house

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am trying to come up with a floor for my new resort so its easier to camp in. Looking at 1/4 inch ply wood with 2×4 runners underneath on a hinge system to fold it in half and fit in truck bed.
    I want to put 6 or 8 holes in floor with flap open doors.
    Just seeing if any one else does such a thing?
    And no im not looking for the snap together floor pieces either. My idea is to put skis under it as well so it can be pulled around when up.

Red Eye

Think clam makes a fabric one

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Think clam makes a fabric one

I changed the title. Talking about building there own.
    Yes vlam has a floor in there one hub, but thats not what I was talking about

onestout
    Hudson, WI

It would be nice to use something to lock/hook the corners into to get them up off the ice a little. Maybe pvc pipe cutoff or something. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My cousin made one for his Clam 6-pack. He used 3/8 CDX over 2×4 with 1 1/2 foam between “joists”. 8 holes with indoor carpet. Made it in 2 or 3 individual pieces that each folded. It wasnt terribly heavy but you couldn’t pull it around while setup. It was phenomenal to sleep in. I’ll see if he has any pics.

broth82

I just use the 24″x24″ foam tiles, you can get them at Menards. Works great

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You should use 3/4″ treated plywood and treated 4×4 post to keep you up off the ice to keep the floor warm.

sorgy

My cousin built one for his Eskimo 949i and it was incredibly warm. He used scrap plywood and chip board he had in his garage and also insulated under it. It was super dry and warm inside the hub. Those were the pros.
    Cons-
    1) it was not very mobile at all. 2)it was fairly heavy. He would make multiple trips out to where he was setting up with his snowmobile so he needed to be close.
    Changes I would make would be 1/4 plywood, 2×2 frame, Hinge 2 sections together and possibly some used down hill skies that could be bolted on and used to transport(I would figure out how to make them removable) the works all at once(kind of like a Schmitty sled). He had a couple of catch covers on one side and the other he had a plywood door- worked great.
    I do not have any pics

CaptainMusky

I am trying to come up with a floor for my new resort so its easier to camp in. Looking at 1/4 inch ply wood with 2×4 runners underneath on a hinge system to fold it in half and fit in truck bed.
    I want to put 6 or 8 holes in floor with flap open doors.
    Just seeing if any one else does such a thing?
    And no im not looking for the snap together floor pieces either. My idea is to put skis under it as well so it can be pulled around when up.

Are you thinking about insulating it at all? I think 1/4″ plywood would be fine with foam sandwiched between two sheets. Should be pretty easy to slap together I would think. It would get heavy though using 2×4’s I think using 2×3 or even 2×2 would be strong enough and save some unnecessary weight. I dont have a hub house, but I like your idea because I have been thinking about getting one for camping in even during deer hunting.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yup I agree 2×2 would be ideal. And yes ill put foam insulation between all the runners. And I want the house to sit on it so I can anchor it to it when dragged behind wheeler. Building it in 4 sections might be more ideal, then have to figure out how to hook them together.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I made a floor thats hinged in the middle. 1/4″ plywood framed with 2X2’s with ridged insulation. Started off with two sets of ski’s, one per side so it could be pulled set up or collapsed. I’ve since removed one pair as I just don’t move it once set up anymore. As I get older it gets used less often!
    Makes a world of difference having a insulated floor!

jld
    Holmen

Here is what I am doing for my Otter Lodge which is basically 8×8 inside. I want it bigger than the foot print of the shack. I then put the 1/2” workout mats on top. I am doing four holes at the top end. Adding a couple of 3×4 rugs just to help keep it dry. Maybe a little over kill but it should keep me dry. Had an issue first time I did an overnight with water as we were on a slushy lake.

Attachments:
    1. 898F61EB-7060-4479-8A81-CCD527F73EE4.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

What you are asking for is called an Ice Castle……

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What you are asking for is called an Ice Castle……

Have the firebrand. But this is for smaller potholes I fish with terrible accesses.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

I did a similar concept several years ago for up at the cabin, using the frame from an old swim platform. It was way heavier than it needed to be, built out of treated 2×6 joists and 3/4″ plywood. I slapped a 2×12 skid on each side and cut holes in the floor for catch covers. Used a piece of unistrut bolted onto another random piece of metal from the barn for the hitch.

The biggest recommendation I have is to line your skids with HDPE. I wasn’t able to move the skid platform by hand until I did that. It also made it much easier for the wheeler to pull around the lake.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6899.jpg

2. IMG_3678.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.