Any having battery issues with their merc with power steering?

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

My dad has a 2015 1890 BT with a 90 horse merc with power steering. Had it back to the dealership a time or two because it seemed like the batteries would not last a full day fishing. He bought the boat because we pull alot of plugs and really likes the troll down feature. He currently has two 31m odyssey that run his power steering/starting/electronic (one hds7)/lights/livewells. He has now found out that the power steering draws so much power you can only run it 4-6 hours at low speeds before its dead. Not only this but now they say it can cause damage to the motor idling that low which could cause it to over heat.

Seems like a pretty p*ss poor design if you cant even get a full day of fishing out of a $40K set up. 3 options he has buy a kicker, buy a trolling motor or drive it around every couple hours to help cool off the motor and recharge the batteries. All which you should not have to do.

More of just a rant but seeing if anyone has heard of this. I find it hard you can kill two 31m batteries in less then 8 hours of fishing and think that is acceptable.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have the 1890BT with power steer and have never noticed a lot of draw on the battery, but I don’t run the power steering when at low speed. I only run it when there will be pull on the motor, high speed or trimmed way down in rough water. Is there a switch on his to turn the power steer off? Not sure why you would have the power steer on at low speeds.

I only have one battery running mine and have not had an issue with it, but I can see if you left it on the whole time you were out and used the power steer to turn the motor all day how it can draw the battery down.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I will have him look but I don’t think there is a switch. I like it at low speeds if you take your hand off your motor doesn’t pull to the side and start spinning you in a circle.

sticker

We are talking the Warrior power steer correct, not the Merc power steer? They are two totally different things.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Good question. I assumed it was Merc’s

sticker

I know very little about the merc power steering, but I am pretty familiar with Warriors and I have never had an issue since 2005. They may have changed it now though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.