Any Bird Feeders: 2nd edition

• Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Anyone know what bird makes this call? 00:02 is its 1st call then 00:09 is the distinct double whistle with metal intonation between.

Tree top bug eater & super shy. Cannot get an eye or scope on this bird. Enter woods & silence.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Practicing rapid fire Steve?

Sorry about that dang anxious trigger finger but at least nobody got hurt whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    Practicing rapid fire Steve?

Sorry about that dang anxious trigger finger but at least nobody got hurt whistling

I think he was trying to point out Florida is pretty far away. devil

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

[/quote]

Glen is a very wise man toast

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glen is a very wise man toast
    [/quote]well, it just happens to be my lasy name is Weismann’. For real! waytogo

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Young wrens leaving there house today it rare to see the little ones at least I never see them leave and they been hatching out here for near 6 years now waytogo

ok back to birds, been watching the wrens today, Nan they’ve been smoking the bugs. Been real busy. Haven’t seen the youngins though yet. I get close they are giving me a talking to.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Carole got too close to the wren house yesterday and got bonked in the head. Tonight I was tending some yard stuff and got too close and heard all about it. Dive bombing little dinks but like Glenn says, they do raise heck on the bugs.

Rod Bent

Anyone know what bird makes this call? 00:02 is its 1st call then 00:09 is the distinct double whistle with metal intonation between.

Tree top bug eater & super shy. Cannot get an eye or scope on this bird. Enter woods & silence.

Kurt it might be an Eastern Wood Peewee, or a Phoebe. Go to Cornell University Bird Calls and they have recorded bird songs.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

RB,

Thanks for Cornell lead. I don’t hear the distinct sound from the 2 mentioned but after I return from a sweaty adventure trying to spot this little bug chaser I’ll download the Merlin app & give that a try.

Kurt

BrianF

Not seen at the feeder, but had a knock at my sliding glass door at our N. Minnesota cabin as I was taking a mid-day nap, which woke me from my dream state.

The knock turned out to be a Golden-crowned Kinglet, which had flown into the glass and was a little stunned. I picked her up and she came to life a bit, jumping up my arm to sit on my shoulder for a few minutes.

I wanted to get my phone in the house for a nice picture, but was too worried she’d fly away inside. So, I just enjoyed her company for a while before she flew off on her own into the trees, none the worse for wear.

She seemed to have no fear of me as she hopped around on my shoulder and arm.

Had to look this bird up, but they are migratory insect feeders that are found predominantly in the northern forests of Canada, N Minnesota, and N. Wisconsin. Here is a picture from the internet.

Attachments:
    1. 60DE352D-1135-468F-A814-3C9BEE4C0FBF.jpeg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Kinglets are notorious for hitting windows. I’ve saved a few, buried a few.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve seen a couple random Orioles and heard others talking back and for the last week. Today with the great weather we had Orioles at the feeders most of the day. Its sure nice to see them back big time.

I also had a big Pileated visit the suet feeders this morning fairly early. Its hard to sit and watch what one of them will do to suet cake.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

I had several grosbeaks and orioles and my first of the year wren all the last couple days 🍻
    But them darn robins keep trying to nest on my garage light smash smash chased

gary d
    cordova,il

I see you guys started to see orioles up north already. I just started to see mine down here this morning. They just are late i guess. I have also an orchard oriole and boy he is very dark almost black. he sure is pretty. I seen a cat bird also with the orioles.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve heard Orioles for well over a week but they didn’t show until last Thursday when we had one male around for an hour. Yesterday we had males and females hanging out. They’ve been here quite a bit already today. Once they find the sweet stuff they don’t go far.

With the leaves off the trees pretty much yet I have seen several of their nests hanging when scoping the trees in other properties watch the birds. I know of at least six nests. Last year we had what we thought was 5 families here at the feeders, including an Orchard Oriole pair, which is on par for the nest count. Its always fun to have the Orioles, very friendly bird. And its rewarding when they bring their chicks to feed.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

1 yellow headed black bird waytogo toast

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Fishing yesterday morning we saw a really bright colored Scarlet Tanager. With the woods still fairly uncluttered with leaves and understory the male bird stood out like a sore thumb. We stopped the boat and watched him snooping around. Beautiful birds. Totally different color of red than a Cardinal.

We saw a mink feeding along the water’s edge several times as well. Now there’s a busy critter.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I haven’t seen any Orioles at my feeder yet. But man, The gold finches have showed up in a hoard the last few weeks!

Attachments:
    1. Gold-Finch.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well I’ll be!! Seen the first wren and Oriole of the year today. waytogo yay

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

This guy has been causing me a little grief as of late. Twice I the last week I’ve had to chase him out of the yard and grab the feeder and suet before he gets to them.

Attachments:
    1. FB86D03F-21C8-47F9-9B37-B1121F72B05E.jpeg

1. trim.76A2E289-5B57-48BF-939F-50506106E8BB.mov
    glenn57
    cold spring mn

That’s a big bird rotflol

This morning been watching a dozen yellow finches by the feeders. They sure are busybodies. waytogo

Buffalo Fishhead

This morning in the yard:

Spotted Towhee
    Yellow warbler
    Audubon’s race Yellow-Rumped warbler (male)
    Bullock’s Oriole
    Black-capped chickadee

Buffalo Fishhead

On May 11 added:

Western Tanager
    Lazuli Bunting

BrianF

One of the many benefits of working from home during Covid is the ability to keep an eye on the bird feeders. Yesterday, in the span of a few minutes, we had a Baltimore oriole, red throated Humminbird, a hairy woodpecker, and a gray cat bird visit the hummingbird feeder. This is in the south metro of the twin cities.

I was unfamiliar with the gray cat bird which I learned is a migratory insect feeder that draws its name from the cat-like meowing call it makes.

Attachments:
    1. 43C75FB7-3CCB-4A6A-AE0C-1B9588E42FEE.png

2. 66042D59-BF98-4F2B-9B33-137A01378DBF.png

3. 12D96AFF-6AEE-4F84-A962-198DB10DDA9F.png

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Had a few cat birds spend the winter by the house this year.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Grape jelly ran out after a large number of orioles came through. This little guy came up to the window with a look of “don’t you have more jelly?”

Bird migration here is about as normal as ever.

Attachments:
    1. 0F696B36-58FA-4F04-B5D3-66FDD160D903.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Red Starts are back for this season at our house. We’ve been seeing them pretty regular now picking bugs out of the air near our big oak. Beautifully colored small birds. They don’t sit still long enough for a picture. We watched one yesterday for about a half an hour.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I saw a redstart the other day, too. We’ve had rose-breasted grosbeaks the past few days. We’ve been in this house 6 years, and this is the first I’ve ever seen one here!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We got a great view of this barred owl in our backyard last night. Such awesome birds!

Attachments:
    1. 20200519_204805.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We got a great view of this barred owl in our backyard last night. Such awesome birds!

They sure are cool!!! Haven’t seen the two by my house in a couple weeks but we hear them regularly in the evening.

Orioles showed up about a week ago. My FW was hollering at me the other day to come look at the feeders & we had a beautiful Scarlet Tanager sitting out there. I hope they stick around, although the last 2 years its been a quick sighting & never to be seen again for the season.. Not sure where they go or really what they want for food..?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The owls are fun to see.

Ice….We got a pic from a friend in Two Harbors of a Scarlet Tanager on a feeder yesterday. Larger areas of softwoods will draw them.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.