Any Bird Feeders: 2nd edition

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Orioles making a nest right outside our window. Full view. Never seen before. As close as it is I’m guessing it’s just a mock attempt but if they follow through I’ll see the whole process close and unabstructed.

Orioles nest complete. We may get to witness the whole cycle.

That’s cool. It brings me back to my childhood when I saw them nest.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

We hang this in the yard with the oranges and jelly . My friend makes them , just a wooden platform with pegs on it to hold the hair from cow tails . The orioles take the hair to make nests . Once they find it , it’s hard to keep it stocked.

Attachments:
    1. 848DA6C7-9D61-4C65-8926-90D4020534BC.jpeg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s awesome.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That hair dispenser is a neat little support aide for those birds making nests. Brian, that video is something else. When we get more than two hummers at a time it seems like its war.

Rod Bent

Very cool Brian.
    PS As I’m writing this a train of geese just scooted across the parking lot, 6 adults and close to 30 goslings!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Swarmed

Very cool. We rarely get more than one at a time because they are so aggressive. Usually a male will not let any of the others drink. There were 4 lined up last weekend but it was a battle.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We have a lot of barred owls. We hear them nearly daily, and based on the reaction of the songbirds, you definitely know when one is around.
    I spotted this one this morning because several cardinals were scolding it. Beautiful birds, and I am always amazed at how silently they fly!

Attachments:
    1. 20190607_060307.jpg

2. 20190607_060247.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Love owls. That’s a great picture.

We were at the cabin a couple days this week and never have we had so many Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks. They’d go thru 5 pounds of sunflower seed a day. Non-stop action from them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ralph, have you heard them barking at night? When it starts up it is startling until I realize it’s the owls. I could listen to that all night.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Oh yes!
    Once while camping, we had one right above our tent. That was a rude 3 a.m. awakening!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve only heard them do it once here and in the distance. At the old house in Lake Mary there a pair that would squak in the trees just on the other side of the fence. I could listen to them all night.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I made these ground level bird baths a few years ago and decided they needed a touch up so today was the day. Ma came out to the garage to check on the painting progress, then headed right to the yard to make a new area for the smaller one with the green trim.

The larger of the dishes is about three feet long and nine inches deep but its hard to get an idea on depth in this picture. I used mature rhubarb leave spread over a sugar sand base to get the veins in these. I used a real loose [wet] chopped fiberglass reinforced mortar mix to cast the leaves and the resulting product is amazingly strong. This is the fifth season on these and there is no wire mesh or anything else inside.

I’ll likely have to put an electric fence around these to keep the fur bearers out. lol

These will sit in the yard in the sun while I get some colored wood chips down for a bed, then Ma can poke thru the chips to plant some pretties for the tweeties to enjoy while the do laps in their new pools.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

those look awesome Tom!!!!!! waytogo waytogo oh to be retired!!!!!!!!! crazy someday!!!!!!!

Rod Bent

Those are beautiful Tom!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve been seeing juvenile Downy Woodpeckers at the peanut butter feeder this morning. What treat to watch. There are a couple of vacant shepherds hooks that they’ll land on to study the peanut butter feeder and their feet haven’t got the strength yet to wrap around the rod to hold on and they aren’t smart enough to land on the top of the arch. They sometimes will slide three feet down the rod. Now get three or four of the youngsters out there and its something.

The feeder gets filled with a mixture of two pounds of baking lard and a 15.5 ounce jar of chunky peanut butter that’s been well blended together. This mix gets stuffed into the many holes in the surface of the feeder and woodpeckers love it. I run out of the venison fat that I render to use thru the winter and use the lard during the months vennie tallow isn’t handy.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Here’s one of a couple of this style peanut butter feeders we use during the warmer weather. As soon as we start seeing frost I bring up the two birch logs of about 3″ diameter which have three, 1 1/2″ holes bored thru them that holds the peanut butter/lard/tallow mixture. Each log piece has a large eye screw in one end for hanging.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s not a bird, but found this guy crossing the road and moved him to safety.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190629_084131.jpg

Rod Bent

Hey Pug I commented to my wife this morning that I’ve seen a lot of roadkill snapping turtles this year. It seems like that’s been a trend for the past few years. Hopefully that means a healthy population. Good job on the “catch and release “!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

July that “bird” devil will be fair game an be in my roaster!!

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

They are yummy but not worth driving to Florida to get that one ???? whistling toast

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

They are yummy but not worth driving to Florida to get that one ???? whistling toast

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Young wrens leaving there house today it rare to see the little ones at least I never see them leave and they been hatching out here for near 6 years now waytogo

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Practicing rapid fire Steve?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.