Any Bird Feeders: 2nd edition

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Seen a loon last Saturday or Sunday. Was at Shady’s Long Shots (Rich-Spring Golf Club) one flew over making all kinds of noise.

that loon was swimming in the open water today in that bay by the campground!!!!

not sure how far north they can get, when I went up last weekend the lakes where pretty tight yet north of Emily.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nothing more surreal than sitting in your Lanai in Florida and hearing a loon. We’ve seen quite a few this winter when out in the boat. The plumage is different.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It seems to me no matter what size your birdfeeder is you’re always filling it every other day.

Attachments:
    1. 1E5443BC-1633-4716-9A92-DBF8BFCE7B1A.jpeg

2. 72D57167-C46A-40FB-B267-6EBBED38C2EA.jpeg

3. 66DA812F-E7EE-4455-99DA-D2DB1D8010AF.jpeg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I slipped out of the house at 6 this morning and hit the lake to see if the crappies wanted to play. No such thing with the lake high by a foot and a half and lots of current. Water temps dropped all the way back to 44 degrees again. THANK YOU snow…..not.

I did see several pairs of Woodies, a couple loons that appeared lost and a bunch of Cormorants that appeared to be hungry and headed for Mille Lacs. Better there than here.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve seen and heard several loons in the past week.

Rod Bent

Saw a cormorant flying near Newport yesterday.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Still sitting on fishable ice here in Rhinelander. Red wing blackbirds only just now showing up. A flock of juncos showed up just in time for last weeks snowstorm, and I guess some early woodcock really took a hit.
    I’ve seen a few mallard out cruising looking for open water, but for now they’re confined to the rivers which are (mostly) opening up. With todays rain and the warmer weather we’re finally getting, I expect a bear to trash my feeders any day now…

Rod Bent

The hummingbird migration has reached central Iowa and southern Wisconsin. Time to get my feeders ready!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I put the cardinal juice and a couple of orange halves out on Tuesday and today I saw two male orioles….I’m thinking I saw the same bird twice. This was refreshing to see. Not so refreshing is Saturday’s forecast.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

One of my favorite parts about moving is I see new wildlife frequently. This morning a Yellow crowned Night Heron was in the neighbors yard. I didn’t get a good photo, but this is what he looked like.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

That’s a cool looking bird Pug!

So, I got a question for you bird folks. Yesterday I noticed a small flock (6-8) of birds I couldn’t identify. They were mostly pecking at the suet cake I have hanging on a tree. They hop up and down the tree like a Nuthatch would but couldn’t really see any good identifiable markings on them except a streak across the face kinda like a Nuthatch would have. I thought maybe a red-breasted Nuthatch but didn’t see any real coloring on the breast. Females were a “normal” brown and white pattern. Are there any other birds that will climb down a tree face first? If they are still around today when I get home, I’ll try to get a picture. Just curious if you guys have any ideas what this bird could be?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s a striking bird Pug. Thanks for sharing the likeness!

Ice….nut hatches are the only birds that travel upside down on trees. We have two kinds in Minnesota, the Red-Breasted and the Common. The Red Breasted is the smaller of the two. On a tree straight on it would be tough to id one from the other unless you’re good at the subtle differences across the back. I’ can’t tell them apart unless I have a peek at the breast or have the two together for a size difference.

I see groups of females of both species here, but the males are very territorial and seem to be solitary at the feeders.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Tom, I have a couple Common Nuthatches that have been around a while. I also thought they were the only birds to travel upside down on a tree. They were constantly going after each other (the males at least). They very well could be red breasted nuthatches. I saw only one pair last year for only a couple weeks. None yet this year, or so I think. I’ll try to get a better view of them this afternoon. I was so curious because I couldn’t get a real good look at the breast and, like I said, they were traveling up and down the tree like a nuthatch would do. Thanks Tom!

After some googling, I’m pretty sure that’s what they are. Prominent black stripe on the face. Surprised they were grouped up the way they were.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We bought a decent SLR digital camera, but haven’t taken it out lately. I need to put it on a tripod and keep it in the spare bedroom.

Here what I got with the phone. No good.

Attachments:
    1. 20190430_075152.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Well, I made it home and the birds I had seen yesterday where not around. Instead, I have another new to me bird. Yellow mowhawk, yellow on front of wings, and yellow on the tail that is visible when they fly. The pics aren’t very good but maybe someone can shed some light on what these little buggers are?
    The closest thing I can find that looks similar is the Yellow-rumped Warbler or The Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Attachments:
    1. 240124894.png

2. IMG_20190430_173420.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The one circled is a gold crowned kinglet. Pretty little birds and full of energy. They’re fun to watch feed on bugs that fly. Little suckers are quick. You’re far enough north that they may hang around thru summer, but they really like the northern forests when its warm.

Those Red Breasted Nuthatches are northern birds too. They winter here where I am at and we have them all winter long at out feeders, but the first hint of the snow leaving and those birds are gone with it. We see them at the cabin all summer and into the fall. Red Breasted Nuthatches seem to be friendlier or easier to get close to than the common Nuthatches.

I have a bunch of bird ID books with actual photo color plates to work from and then there’s this site here that can be a big help as well as just plain interesting to look thru. Check it out.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I hung my wren houses about a week and a half ago, and the chickadees descended immediately. Thankfully, they can’t quite squeeze in. Saturday morning, I was pleased to see a house wren, which was immediately attacked by 2 chickadees, which struck me as funny because the wrens generally attack anything and everything. rotflol

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

The one circled is a gold crowned kinglet. Pretty little birds and full of energy. They’re fun to watch feed on bugs that fly. Little suckers are quick. You’re far enough north that they may hang around thru summer, but they really like the northern forests when its warm.
    I have a bunch of bird ID books with actual photo color plates to work from and then there’s this site here that can be a big help as well as just plain interesting to look thru. Check it out.

The Golden-crowned Kinglet is what I was leaning towards with my limited research. Both pics are of the same bird(s). I have a nice bird book at home that is supposed to be on the end table in the living room. Between the long winter of not using it, the kids, & my FW, it has disappeared.. I have the Merlin Bird App on my phone which wasn’t much help. Google brought me to the All About Birds page and that’s what I used to determine it was one or the other.

In the 2 years I’ve lived just west of Hinckley I have not seen this bird before. Yes, they are very active! It was hard to get a good picture because they don’t hold still very long. Very fun to watch. I hope they stick around but I’m not holding my breath.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Another thing I’ve noticed in the last week is my Gold Finches have all but disappeared!? Since I’ve moved in there has always been an abundance of them around. Where would they go? Nesting? Hiding from the crappy weather?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Staking out a territory? In winter I’d have a flock come to my feeder. Then spring would come and I’d only have one pair or 2 pair who would fight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just have a duck next to my boat making more ducks.
    Kinda cool, she’s already on the grill.

Attachments:
    1. Gurturde-the-duck.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Today the Orioles launched a full scale siege on the feeders. They’ve been here all day. A game warden stopped to say hi after he did his rounds on the river behind us and commented on the Orioles on the feeder. I love those Orioles….striking birds. Today we had our first of the year Orchard Oriole. Things look to be interesting on the Oriole front.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Today is a Red-Start day. While I have seen a couple over the last week, the park trees are full of them today. They don’t sit still long enough to get a picture. They’re beautiful little birds and full of energy

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Last night I found out why they call them night heron. My dog moved the sliding door’s door jam and locked me out so I had to go around front. It was just after twilight and I noticed a shadow slinking around by the neighbors house about 20 yards from me. I could barely make it out, but it was that night heron.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

With the Orioles on their way up, how far behind are the Hummers?

Rod Bent

The hummingbird feeders are up. They gotta be close (Cottage Grove).

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We have hummers in Rochester and today we had a visual on the first of this year’s Orchard Orioles. I have heard one or two in the last couple days but today they were on the feeders. Hen Orioles are here now too…several in fact at our feeders. I’m building another bottle feeder for them to lighten the load at the other bottle and jelly feeders. Its getting ridiculous how many orange birds there are using our feeders this year. We go thru a full pint of nectar a day.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Had a yellow rumped warbler at the feeder yesterday. Pretty cool little bird. Haven’t had them at my house before but my old man gets them every spring.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just have a duck next to my boat making more ducks.
    Kinda cool, she’s already on the grill.

Mmmmmm, grilled duck….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve had some female Evening Grosbeaks stopping by this morning. I see Rose Breasted Grosbeaks off and on all spring but the Evening variety is unusual.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.