Another opener

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

New regs this year sound interesting. We can keep one of those sassy 18-19 inchers that are so common.
    Looking forward to this weekend. Fingers crossed for low wind.

Daily Bag/Possession Limit: 4 fish
    (Not more than one over 17 inches)

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I didn’t get to fish Red this Winter but a couple times…Are there many of the below 17″ fish in there?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I missed last year but they have never been a problem finding in the previous 9 years.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I always do Leech (just because it is so close to my cabin place…) but Red is on my bucket list for sure for Summer fishing. Maybe this year!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One of our buddies has a cabin about an hour from there. There are several closer big walleye lakes from his cabin but we went to Red on a whim the first year it opened back up in 06 and it turned into an annual event. We have been blown off the lake before. Then we hit a smaller backup lake. We only fish it those two days per year and I have never left that lake without my limit. We try to keep them as close to 17 as possible. It turns into a game.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you see a guy in a tiller looking for wingdams and current seams on red opening morning that will be me. Looking forward to it.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

If you see a guy in a tiller looking for wingdams and current seams on red opening morning that will be me. Looking forward to it.

If you are looking for wingdams on Red, you are going to be looking for a long time! I think you are more likely to see bigfoot first

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill keep an eye out for him.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We have been fishing every opener since it re-opened in 2006 and this was by far the worst fishing we have seen. We still got our fish but got far less than ever and did not see the 18″-20″ fish like we used to. 100 fish/boat days are now 20-30 fish days. Back years ago you could only keep 2 then 3 and we caught unreal numbers of fish. Now its seems the fish numbers are down and the limit was increased to 4 with one over 17. That’s some pretty funny math the DNR uses.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Caught our limit Saturday to but had to work for them. Cant really complain as it was our 1st time fishing the lake. Boat traffic reminded me of mille lacs in the good days. Biggest was 19″s.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Sounds like a successful opener.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.