Annual "What are you purchasing" 2020 Thread

• Ryan Lange
    Lewiston MN

Thanks i already got one. did you not like it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like my old 5 gallon bucket with a lid for 7 bucks over the Engle and it holds more water

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think I’m moving to using the pop up more often, so adding a sled for that. Otherwise I’m not much for the latest and greatest, finally moved from an FL8 to an 18 a few years ago, still catch the same amount of fish and as many or more than my buddies with _____ that just came out.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Not a fan of Engels either, for 10 bucks go buy an aquarium aerator and 5 gallon bucket

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I cant think of anything new i need or want for ice fishing. I seem to have bought everything i want years ago. When my LX-5 dies i will be looking long and hard at the digital options they have now for ice fishing/boat use. Or i might just get a vexilar FL-18 and be done with it for the next 30 years. Not going Marcum again that’s for sure

Oh i did just buy an attachment so i can use my Ion auger head to drill in my spikes for my pop up house. that will be nice. I plan on trying out camping overnight in my pop up this year

Unrelated to ice fishing ive been wanting and waiting patiently since 2017 for a new truck. If everything goes as planned ill have it this summer.

tornadochaser

buying a thermal 2 man flip over, shopping for an ATV, and adding a few more JAKs custom rods to the rod case.

Jknitter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jknitter wrote:</div>
    -Elliott ice rod, looking at the Nomad or Rippin-eyes. Waiting to go check them out in person to see if they’re worth the money as there aren’t many reviews on them yet.

Never fished one, but I held a few at the ice show last year. They’re incredibly light and seem well built.

The few reviews i have seen have said the same thing. Theres a sport shop about an hour from me that is selling them this year so I’m just waiting to get up there to try them out for myself before i spend 120 on a rod. Thanks for the info!

KPE
    River Falls, WI

– Still looking to possibly purchase a set of ice fishing bibs. I have held off for the past couple years because I do have a perfectly good pair of Gander Mtn Insulated Camo Hunting Bibs. Might just use them again this year.

I have no stake in the company at all, but Striker bibs are so damn comfy, it’s easy to take naps in them out in the cold! I use my insulated carhartt’s for early ice, hunting, and general wear and tear but the strikers feel like wearing a nice warm blanket even when temps get below 0. I’ll be using them for snowmobiling this year since I decided to get into yet another wallet destroying hobby )

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Lange wrote:</div>

I like my old 5 gallon bucket with a lid for 7 bucks over the Engle and it holds more water

I’m going to agree on the Engel, it’s heavy when full, bulky, and I’ve never quite been satisfied with it. I do like keeping minnows alive in the garage for weeks at a time with it and I do like it in the summer in the boat, but it is not a tool for run and gun ice fishing IMO

Stcroixangler
    Chippewa Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AnotherFisherman wrote:</div>
    – Still looking to possibly purchase a set of ice fishing bibs. I have held off for the past couple years because I do have a perfectly good pair of Gander Mtn Insulated Camo Hunting Bibs. Might just use them again this year.

I have no stake in the company at all, but Striker bibs are so damn comfy, it’s easy to take naps in them out in the cold! I use my insulated carhartt’s for early ice, hunting, and general wear and tear but the strikers feel like wearing a nice warm blanket even when temps get below 0. I’ll be using them for snowmobiling this year since I decided to get into yet another wallet destroying hobby )

I absolutely love my Striker bins and jacket. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten cold in them. Are they pricey? Yes. But soooo worth it based on the extra time out on the ice due to staying warm. Plus, they’re Wisco based, a plus for me.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Lange wrote:</div>

I’m going to agree on the Engel, it’s heavy when full, bulky, and I’ve never quite been satisfied with it. I do like keeping minnows alive in the garage for weeks at a time with it and I do like it in the summer in the boat, but it is not a tool for run and gun <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing IMO

Only thing I like about the engel for ice fishing is that it is basically indestructible so you don’t have to worry about water getting out or damage when your running around on ice. It is heavy though when you hae it full of water. I have the 19 gallon I think. Other thing is that the aerator seems to run forever on that thing.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

Like everyone else, all new ice gear since i think my last years stuff shoulda caught more fish. Maybe buy some of those Live Target crank baits to to throw in the tackle box because they sure are pretty to look at. Any money left over I’m sure i can burn through it on the first snowmobile I’ve owned.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Stepping into the world of wheelhouses this year.

Amped outdoors battery and a new rod case will be on docket. After that I just need to get out more.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

A time machine…

catmando
    wis

Picked up an Excalibur crossbow, Pretty much set, till I figure I am not.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

A time machine…

Yep, to two winters ago when you could spend the last half of winter fishing lakers on the north shore because the lake froze so well!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Only thing I like about the engel for <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing is that it is basically indestructible so you don’t have to worry about water getting out or damage when your running around on ice. It is heavy though when you hae it full of water. I have the 19 gallon I think. Other thing is that the aerator seems to run forever on that thing.
    [/quote]

19 gallon?? Do you have a cart or sled for that?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

My two “big” purchases this year will be a big hub, likely the Otter Resort, and a 12v lithium battery. My goal is to get into ice camping a bit this winter and need something big enough for two cots + gear and a better way to keep my helix 7 running longer than just a day or two.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My two “big” purchases this year will be a big hub, likely the Otter Resort, and a 12v lithium battery. My goal is to get into ice camping a bit this winter and need something big enough for two cots + gear and a better way to keep my helix 7 running longer than just a day or two.

Resort hub? Other wise my resort would never compensate 2 cots with room for any thing else.

tanner voeller

had the clam silver briefcase style rod box, used and abused over the last two winters. guy at cabelas talked me into the eagle rod case.

am looking into some of the clam hub accessories to see if they would link up with an otter hub house, i contacted clam over the question me they said that it should work.

also looking to get into the strikemaster lithium 24V auger.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I picked up a Finicky Fooler to try out and a Ceymar Baitfeeder.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Had a couple gift cards and Cabelas Card points to burn off. Picked up a Marcum Recon 5 on sale. One of those “Nice to have” things that has been on the list for quite a while.

-J.

bigpike

8″ light flight auger
    Milwaukee fuel mud mixer
    Otter magnum sled with hyfax, and tow bar.
    Lithium battery.

All major upgrades for this guy. Still working on a few of these items for black Friday sales….

AnotherFisherman

I picked up a whole bunch of goodies at some year-end closeouts last year, so I’m excited to use some new tackle and rod combo.

– Maybe a nice flip-over for 2 people +. I have a really nice Clam single flip-over and a 2-man popup, but love the flip-over style. The FW or other buddies would be able to tag along.

Well, I got the flip-over. Got a Otter Lodge Pro, very excited for it! Also upgraded heaters to the big buddy heater ($90 @ Northern Tool) and the Marcum Brute Lithium battery ($50 @Scheels). Definitely going to hold off on bibs for the season and just use the hunting bibs after the $$ I dropped on new gear I didn’t “need”. And the season hasn’t even started yet. LOL

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Lithium battery.

End of season sale last March.
    8 inch Lite Flight, Clam conversion plate, and Striker coat and bibs.
    Got it all out of the basement last week.

Sylvanboat

Outgrew my little jig box. Bot this. I am now ready to go.

Attachments:
    1. A589CBC3-46BF-4CE1-B74C-70E24F11B0BA.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just grabbed a couple of brute batteries and an ice ducer for the Garmin 73. Going to give that a whirl and if I like it I’ll upgrade to livescope. I have livescope on the boat so I could fool around with removing the ducer and using for ice but that seems like alot of work. Plus, I fish the river all winter so I’ not going to be a fan of removing and replacing it.

I’d also like some ice somewhere near the metro….before x-mas.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’d also like some ice somewhere near the metro….before x-mas.

If we get some good cold nights it might not be long. Forecast doesn’t look promising though.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.