Annual State Fair thread

• Ripjiggen

I’m an obese slob with 7 kids in strollers, so I’ll be there in the mass of people during a weekday.
    Can’t wait.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I get the appeal for some, but it’s not for me (unless the Mrs. decides she really wants to go). The last time I went was 7 or 8 years ago.

I try to support kids/businesses/exhibits at our local county fair and town festivals here. Shorter drive, less crowded, and generally a good cause.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Jimmy Crack Corn and I Don’t Care.

CaptainMusky

Any of you take in concerts? I never have but they’ve had good acts before I wonder who is there this year.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I’ll be going this year because the lady wants to see T Pain so to tolerate it I will be spending an arm and a leg on beer haha

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Jimmy Crack Corn and I Don’t Care.

rotflol rotflol rotflol

i wanted to go one year cause Skynard was playing……..and like the 2-3 times before i wanted to see them they canceled!!!!!! flame flame

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The first time I went was in the 60s. My dad, brother and I watched the stock car race. Last time I went with my daughter in 2014 and saw Tim McGraw. Good show.
    Otherwise, meh, not the biggest fan.

wkw

Yep ! Back when Dick Trickle won it every year

jwellsy

I like watching the ARCA races. Those young bucks are hungry and really get with the program trying to break into NASCAR.

The Illinois State fair has a huge area called Conservation World. They have all kinds of kids activities (like Indian war canoe rides and a .22 shooting gallery) and all kinds of vendors with rendezvous goods, carved decoys, custom calls etc. Plus, they’ll have dog field trial demos, lumber jack shows and birds of prey shows etc.

I also like seeing the grand prize hog, the Budweiser Clydesdales, the butter cow, the clogging dancers, and wandering through the exhibit halls full everything from huge Whitetail racks to innovative products.

I can remember as a kid the state fair always had a hoochi-koochy tent. Those aren’t really needed anymore. The way some people dress now days is probably more revealing than what went on inside those tents.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

that was the best part for me going to the fair……….well 90% of it…….was people watching!!! whistling whistling

the other 10% was food!!!!!

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

I hadn’t been to the fair since maybe “87”, but last year the wife talked me into going. Parking was easy off of como, great big fields can hold any size vehicle. We went on a Sunday it was definitely warm out but we had a great time,spent a bunch, walked a bunch and ate too much. Not sure if we’ll go this year but it would neat to go during the week to check out some live news casts and shows, not much of that on a Sunday..

dbright
    Cambridge

I will be at the fair this year for the first time in 15 years. But I will be working the same as the last time there.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Someone mentioned going to one of the concerts, a few years ago we went to the Jim Gaffigan comedy show. When we used to go more often we’d get there in the morning, so going to a show or concert was a little different, seems like a bit of a different crowd of late teens toward evening/ night time.

Also if it helps anyone, I think Tuesdays might offer a military/ veteran discount on admission.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Took our wild little boys to the Steele County Fair today and had a great time. In our household our fair priorities, in no particular order, are:

1. Rides
    2. Food
    3. Farm animals.

And in my opinion the Steele County Fair takes care of those priorities without some of the hassles of the State Fair. As others have said, to each their own, just my thoughts.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Steele County Fair is the king of county fairs.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Steele County Fair is the king of county fairs.

And the last of the year, going on right now!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Took our wild little boys to the Steele County Fair today and had a great time. In our household our fair priorities, in no particular order, are:

1. Rides
    2. Food
    3. Farm animals.

And in my opinion the Steele County Fair takes care of those priorities without some of the hassles of the State Fair. As others have said, to each their own, just my thoughts.

We did the same at the Carver County Fair, which my wife said was good enough to skip the State Fair. So that was a big win, and saved a $100+.

JEREMY
    BP

Whats the over/under the girl whos head is carved out of butter is really a girl this year.

Reef W

Whats the over/under the girl whos head is carved out of butter is really a girl this year.

It’s fascinating that no matter the topic chicks with dicks is what’s on your mind coffee

JEREMY
    BP

Think your thinking about dicks dude. Maybe I meant maybe it will have a tail or something.

Brad Dimond

We get two free Fair tickets and the coupon book from our Credit Union. Take the bus from Huntingdon Bank Stadium, walk through the gate and be out of pocket $0. Pretty good value.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Steele county is fun but not the state fair. I go to both do not have a choice on the steele county. Also have the family food booth there which I get to eat most days of the steele county :).

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Pierce County Fair checked the boxes for my son and I this year, I think I spent like $50 total? Most of that because I let him play overpriced carnie games.

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

We used to go to the fair every year to see the freaks. Once Walmart came to town we just started going there. Free parking, no admission, air conditioned and they sell corn dogs. Best part is they run 365 days a year.

WS

FinickyFish

I love a good county fair. That’s where I take the kids to do rides and I play as much legion bingo as possible. We’re going to do the Statefair as well, but no rides. I enjoy drinking too many special addition beers and trying the odd foods. We don’t eat out a whole lot so we splurge a bit there and make an event out of it. I spend more on pulltabs in a night so hard to complain on the cost. I still have 1 niece that does the llama show so we try to watch that.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Any of you take in concerts? I never have but they’ve had good acts before I wonder who is there this year.

Got tickets to see Blake Sheldon on Sunday. Years ago the fair was the best place to see big acts without paying through the nose, although these tickets weren’t cheap by any means. Back in the day we never missed seeing Alabama, I think they hold the record for the most appearances at the grandstand. That may have changed by now.

Reef W

Embarrass Regional Fair is pretty rocking… Beer is $2 and if you buy 7 you get one free toast

Attachments:
    1. 20240824_201335-scaled.jpg

Ripjiggen

It’s fascinating that no matter the topic chicks with dicks is what’s on your mind coffee

Not sure how I missed this but too funny.

dbright
    Cambridge

What a cesspool after the sun goes down. I can’t imagine the crowds would be anywhere near as big if the news reported half of the stuff that goes on down there.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.