Annual State Fair thread

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just about that time again! The great Minnesota sweat together starts in one week.

So let’s hear about your plans, food, attractions, and experiences right here. What is the bucket of soggy knock off nestle toll house cookies up these days? 25 bucks? lol

I’ll sit back and enjoy the comments.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know the state fair is not for everyone, but I look forward to a trip there at least every other year. Made it there last year so not sure how much drive I’ll have to get there again this year. I understand why some don’t care for it:
    Lots of people – way to many in one place
    In the metro – at least it’s not in Minneapolis
    High cost – yep it’s all mostly overpriced
    Hassle of parking – I use one of the park and ride shuttles so not all that bad.
    Despite all that I really enjoy going. For me it’s the people watching and the chance to eat foods you mostly can not find anyplace else.

JoeMX1825
    MN

We go as a family the 1st Friday every year, my kids love to pick out 2-3 oddball food things they plan on trying out every year, Mom and Dad go for the People Watching and a few Fair staple foods….Funny our #1 tradition is to go to the Home Depot building and try to win a free 5 gallon bucket from the plinko game…

To each there own, I don’t get the Fair hate by some, for those who claim its too expensive, you can take a free bus shuttle from about 40 locations in the extended metro area, you can get discounted tickets at any Cub location (or do what I do and purchase tickets for next years fair in the fall when they offer their Best Discount of the year sale) You can find tons of foods deals in the $5 Bargain books that pay for themselves after 2-3 uses…Avoid the Midway and Rides at all costs imo, but everything else is free to walk through…

Obviously some things are expensive (craft beers, Lobster on a stick, etc) but you don’t need to get those if you don’t like…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

BTW you can still purchased advance admission tickets at a discount if you intend to go. Its $3 off compared to regular admission at the gate. 3 bucks saved is 3 bucks closer to a footlong corn dog.

I’ve used the shuttle most years too. The last time I used it, it was 5 bucks round trip. Drop off was at the back entrance by the Blue Ribbon Barn. When I parked down there, it was a bit of a nightmare depending on time of day.

Right now there isn’t any of those nasty humid hot days on the horizon either so the weather should cooperate. Obviously that can change being that we’re 7 days out and it lasts for 12 days.

My Grandpa (who died in 2012) hated that place lol. He always said to me “why would I want to wait in line for half an hour to take a pizz?” rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Your grandfather was a smart man. I’m with him

CaptainMusky

I have not gone in many years. Too expensive, too many people and usually too hot. I did enjoy it back in the day but not anymore. We would always get there early and then leave by 1 before it got too busy.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would rather forget to put my drain plug in my boat than walk through the fair with a stroller again.

CaptainMusky

I would rather forget to put my drain plug in my boat than walk through the fair with a stroller again.

Oh you were ONE of those at the fair! LOL

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL ah yes the strollers in a mass of humanity issue

JoeMX1825
    MN

I absolutely agree, the RV sized strollers and Motorized Carts have gotten completely out of control…saving grace is those riding & pushing them look miserable as well…

dirtywater

We went last year so probably won’t this year. I like the fair but it’s not an every year necessity like for some.

Motorcycle is the best way to get to the fair, if you know you know.

Last year my favorite food was pork belly on a stick. The mini donut beer from lift bridge is pretty solid as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What’s wrong with strollers. It’s half as bad as the obese walking around nocking in to everyone eating they corn dogs and mini donuts by the gallon

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I am saving $120 by staying home

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’d rather go for a boat ride with Wes Logan, then to go to the state fair.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Gross.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lmao you can tell pretty easily who likes this and who doesn’t. rotflol

Just the cost alone, especially if you have 4 or 5 in a family, is staggering. Just admission and parking/shuttle would be 100 bucks or more. And that’s just to get there and get through the gates. shock

ganderpike
    Alexandria

There is some irony in fishermen pointing their noses up at the cost of a fair.

Im with Bearcat, lose my appetite seeing all the obese. Ill go hang some tree stands.

mark Mason

We went last year so probably won’t this year. I like the fair but it’s not an every year necessity like for some.

Last year my favorite food was pork belly on a stick. The mini donut beer from lift bridge is pretty solid as well.

Please share your motorcycle secret, is the bike lot easy to use? I see they moved all the park and rides out of the city so I would need to drive 25 minutes west to Minnetonka to catch a $6 bus.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I was already there.

I think it was in 1972.

SR

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve Never Seen an Armored Car Following a Hearse to a funeral home yet. Can’t take it with you !

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol good one fishthumper. woot

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been there. Wouldn’t mind going again, but my wife would be one of them in the motorized carts running into you guys!! doah

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>

Please share your motorcycle secret, is the bike lot easy to use? I see they moved all the park and rides out of the city so I would need to drive 25 minutes west to Minnetonka to catch a $6 bus.

The secure motorcycle lot is on Como very near an entrance. It’s $15 and I’ve never seen it full. It’s nice to know exactly where you’re going ahead of time. For me it hits the sweet spot of fast/cheap/convenient. Unfortunately I don’t have a bike these days.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

The strollers and wagons are just a necessary evil. It’s a family event and young kids are part of the family. The only other option would be the parents having to carry one or two kids around for most of the long hot day.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The strollers and wagons are just a necessary evil. It’s a family event and young kids are part of the family. The only other option would be the parents having to carry one or two kids around for most of the long hot day.

I get it, although I didn’t take my kids until they could handle walking the fair (throw in a few missed covid years) regular strollers are fine, I’m complaining about the big double wides with all the accessories attached…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

I’ve Never Seen an Armored Car Following a Hearse to a funeral home yet. Can’t take it with you !

Oh I bet he has 100s of better things to spend his money on rather then that nightmare

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I didn’t take my kids until they could handle walking the fair

This is me too. If I have to push a stroller or haul a kid around in a carrier for hours on end through masses of people, they aint coming. I’ll wait until they can use their own 2 feet.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.