Annual Fantasy Football Post

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

With a new Fantasy Football season starting soon, I thought I’d start a post for all those playing. My Draft is on 8/29. We have a 10 team league and the scoring is the PPR format. We do a snake style draft and I’m drafting 3rd. As a start I’m interested in know what position you would draft in order in this format. I know that lots depend on how things play out from other teams. It seems like most rankings and mock drafts, the top 3 picks are all RB’s and then Followed by all WR for the rest of the 1st round. So I think I’m best off taking a RB with the 3rd pick. But would like some advise on what to do with the 2nd and 3rd round. Its seems like in this scoring format no one seems to be taking a QB till late round 4 at the earliest and mostly in round 5. Just curious what other’s stategy are. I just hope to do better than in past year. I’ve had some bad luck with some great draft choices getting injured early in the season but I’m sure many others have as well. I never use to buy into taking a RB with the 1st 2 picks but starting to understand it now. In PPR its the top receivers and RB’s who catch passes out of the backfield that have the highest score each week it seems. last year I just didn’t factor the receptions by RB in near enough. Good luck to all of you in your season.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m also number 3. Ours is standard scoring, draft day is Sept 1. You already know who I’m taking at that spot.

Round 2 I’ll be going with a WR.

Let us know how it shakes out. Fantasy football is a crap shoot by most standards. waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m also number 3. Ours is standard scoring, draft day is Sept 1. You already know who I’m taking at that spot.
    Round 2 I’ll be going with a WR.

Let us know how it shakes out. Fantasy football is a crap shoot by most standards

Gim – Curious how long you are thinking of waiting to pick a QB

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I usually wait on my QB selection. Probably at least 6th or 7th round. There was not much difference in overall points from someone like Allen, Hurts, or Mahomes when you compare them to QBs like Purdy, Lawrence, or Prescott.

Last year I took Brock Purdy in the 10th round and he finished in the top 5 QB scoring.

I think Anthony Richardson could be a dual threat QB this season. He only played in 2 games last season before he got injured but both games he used his arm and legs to score. If you get a whole season or most of a whole season out of that, he’ll explode in production from a fantasy standpoint.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

usually wait on my QB selection. Probably at least 6th or 7th round. There was not much difference in overall points from someone like Allen, Hurts, or Mahomes when you compare them to QBs like Purdy, Lawrence, or Prescott.

Yep. Looking at last years scoring in PPR formats I see what you are saying. It seemed odd that most experts start picking then in round 5. I guess it will depend on when all the members in our league start the run on them. It seems like when someone takes the 1st few everyone starts to think they need to get one before they end up with like the 10th best one. I guess it come down to the drop off from the top 3 and the 10th at the end of the season. It may not be all that many points per game difference.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Man… here I was toying with the idea of doing fantasy football one of these seasons now that I’m more interested in the game than I was in years past, but I don’t even understand much of what you guys are talking about! doah rotflol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Man… here I was toying with the idea of doing fantasy football one of these seasons now that I’m more interested in the game than I was in years past, but I don’t even understand much of what you guys are talking about!

Sharon. Go ahead and jump in. You can learn as you go. It is rather fun. Some leagues are really laid back and others are rather competitive. Ours is a group of friends who have know each other for a long time. Mostly for bragging rights. I’m not real good. Thus why I’m looking for help from the experts here. My guess is you will be better at it than I am. Then again that’ grin s not to hard.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m in the same 16 team, PPR scoring league I’ve been in for 5-6 years. As the 2X defending champion my strategy won’t change.

My last 3 picks every year…

3rd to last pick = QB
    2nd to last pick = Kicker
    Last Pick = Defense

Taking a defense or kicker any earlier than that is the ultimate wasted draft pick. Taking a QB before a double digit round is a waste as well. It’s one of the only positions that has relatively little respective difference between QB 5 or 6…..and QB 12 or 13 by the end of the year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I generally agree with Bucky’s strategy on defense and kickers. Later is better.

Brittman

I go with the flow and fill out my starting roster by what I feel is the right fit. Every draft goes differently. I usually finish top 1, 2 or 3 in my three leagues. I usually go WR, WR … I most often get kicked hard in the butt when I go RB that early.

Last year I supposedly finished near the bottom in one draft with a poor outlook projected for the season. Well, I was lucky I suppose that I got to ride the Tyreek gravy train through much of the season. Still, it was my late round picks that filled out those lost to injury. QBs were Cousins and Prescott. Went 12-2 and cake walked through the playoffs. League if full of very, very good fantasy players.

The league that I “won” the draft in had two marquee players exit the season too early. It was a 14-team league so man was there not much to choose from.

So often it comes down to injuries and who you play and when you play them. Whole lot like the real NFL.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

3rd to last pick = QB
    Last Pick = Defense

The kicker and the Def. holds true in almost all mock drafts and rankings. The QB is a whole different situation. Lots of so called expert FF player and sports people posting mock drafts. About the latest the QB’s are being picked in 10 team leagues is round 5 or 6. I know I’m going to hold off much later than normal but by the 3rd to the last pick my guess is 10-12 will be off the board. But then again it seems to work for you so who knows.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I go with the flow and fill out my starting roster by what I feel is the right fit. Every draft goes differently. I usually finish top 1, 2 or 3 in my three leagues. I usually go WR, WR … I most often get kicked hard in the butt when I go RB that early.

So if you would have the #3 pick in our format, Who would you take?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If it is full PPR, I’m going a good WR on a good offense with the #3 pick this year.

The injury bug for RBs is real, as is the growing trend to “ease” guys workload and go by committee. For every year a highly RB has “won” someone a league, 3 or 4 highly drafted RBs have went down to injury.

My overall preference is to pick near the end of the first round if it’s a league of 12+ people. Picking in the top 3 almost in a big league really puts all your eggs in one basket – so to speak.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

3rd to last pick = QB
    Last Pick = Defense

The kicker and the Def. holds true in almost all mock drafts and rankings. The QB is a whole different situation. Lots of so called expert FF player and sports people posting mock drafts. About the latest the QB’s are being picked in 10 team leagues is round 5 or 6. I know I’m going to hold off much later than normal but by the 3rd to the last pick my guess is 10-12 will be off the board. But then again it seems to work for you so who knows.

There’s probably a million formulas and scenarios that people have success with. If it’s only a 10 team league, I’d be 100% sure I am the last to draft a QB though without question.

For reference, Baker Mayfield was FF QB10 last year. He finished ahead of Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, and CJ Stroud who many think are much “better” players. Sam Howell was QB12 and had a whopping 2.5 points less season fantasy points than Stroud after the 18 week season. He’s not even a starter this season.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you can get McCaffrey, you take him first & your off to a good start. After that, from 1st to 10th round, you are not separated by much at any position.

1. WR
    2. RB
    3. WR
    4. WR
    5. RB
    6. TE
    7. RB
    8. QB
    9. K
    10. D
    11-16 WR & RB

KP
    Hudson, WI

I have been doing an Auction draft with some buddy’s for a long time. I think Auction drafts are the best drafts you can do. You can go in with a plan and it can all fold in seconds depending how much guys are going for and who gets thrown out first. Its also better in person but it sure does get hard with 14 guys in the league.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If it is full PPR, I’m going a good WR on a good offense with the #3 pick this year.

The injury bug for RBs is real, as is the growing trend to “ease” guys workload and go by committee. For every year a highly RB has “won” someone a league, 3 or 4 highly drafted RBs have went down to injury.

My overall preference is to pick near the end of the first round if it’s a league of 12+ people. Picking in the top 3 almost in a big league really puts all your eggs in one basket – so to speak.

Ya like Justin Jefferson worked out well for me at the #1 pick last year. It’s not just RB that can cost you big due to injuries

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We tried the auction draft last year for the first time since we started doing this back in 2008.

We went back to the snake draft this year.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

we don’t find out what our order is until one hour before the draft.
    Sharon my sons girl friend had never played FF and does not know anything about it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

3rd to last pick = QB
    Last Pick = Defense

Bucky, myself and most any veteran FF player has been banging this drum for years, because it is true. FF has developed into this monstrous economy of Mocks, Rankings, and reports, when it’s really actually very simple. Take the best RB/WR with every pick until you pick up a TE in the mid rounds, and fill out the roster at the end. The only exceptions are when there is an outlier TE (see Gronk).

And you can never have too many RB’s imo, either you will need the depth or you will have great trade bait midyear when _____ top pick goes down. Serviceable WR’s are always available too, so I skew towards top end high volume WR’s early in a PPR (JJ/Tyreek being much better picks than Jamar Chase who has lower volume for example). Injuries happen, I had JJ last year too, it is what it is, if you can figure out who is going to get hurt before the season, someone in the league or Vegas will pay you millions on your new career.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

To your situation Thumper and ESPN’s 10 team PPR rankings, I’d go Tyreek, Amon-Ra or JJ at #3. Then Gibbs, Kyren or Etienne at #17 and probably RB again at #23 as the pickings will be slim by the time you’re on the clock again.

KP
    Hudson, WI

We tried the auction draft last year for the first time since we started doing this back in 2008.

Its a big difference than the snake draft but we have been doing ours for 20 years now which is crazy to think.

Agree with others and you should not reach on a QB in the early rounds.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Have any of you done a Guillotine league before? Those are very fun because any week you could be done for the season.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Eyeguy did one and won nearly $100,000 if I remember correctly. He just bought a new truck lol

Brittman

Who is JJ ?

Gotta get used to this:

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson says he’ll no longer go by the nickname “JJ” and prefers “Jets” going forward.

Netflix Reciever was the first time I actually heard this or heard and retained .

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dual threat QBs are a major bonus too. At least in my league they are. Almost every season the highest scoring player in the league is someone like Allen, Hurts, or Jackson because they can score with their arm and their legs. This is partially why I think someone like Anthony Richardson is in for a big season. That’s assuming he can stay healthy, of course.

Not every league is set up the same in terms of point scoring so YMMV.

Gitchi Gummi

If you want to see who the best fantasy football manager is, do an auction league and FAAB. Snake draft leagues, while fun, are rudimentary

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually just look at total points scored at league end. Usually the highest scorer does not equate to highest finish… hence, luck of the draft order/game schedule plays into it big time. coffee

Gitchi Gummi

Actually just look at total points scored at league end. Usually the highest scorer does not equate to highest finish… hence, luck of the draft order/game schedule plays into it big time. coffee

total points doesn’t tell the whole story… flash back to the LT years.. if you had the luxury of the #1 overall pick and could get LT, you were going to crush your opponents… he was actually so good, the “3rd round reversal” draft styles were born to try to level the playing field if you didn’t get the #1 overall pick.

In auction drafts, every owner has an equal chance at the top player like LT (or insert #1 overall pick of whatever year) versus being limited to the available players when its your turn in the snake order. If you spent the big bucks on him, you had to still be able to fill out a roster with your remaining budget whereas in snake draft, you’re guaranteed another pick in each round (i.e. tier) of players. Auction drafts make you manage a salary cap.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Actually just look at total points scored at league end. Usually the highest scorer does not equate to highest finish

Those are the most frustrating seasons by far. When you have a good team, score a lot of points every week, and just lose high scoring matches. We’ve actually had someone completely miss the playoffs even though they scored the most points. After that season we began paying out the highest scoring team by total points with a return of entry fee money (200 bucks) regardless of where they finish in the standings.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.