Anchor recommendation Solera 189

• sinfish

I am a new owner of a Solera 189. I fish the river mostly. What anchor would you recommend? I have had fluke style in the past but are there better designs out there?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Congrats fellow Solera owner.

I use what I call the river spike style slip ring anchor (photo) with 3 feet of rubber coated chain and it’s done very well for me.

Others will tell you the Richter Anchor. I haven’t used them, but as much as they get recommended, I would think they work well.

Attachments:
    1. 7847379_FUL.jpg

Jerry Sauter

Although I have no experience with a solera, I use the digger anchor and it has always held well.

Smellson

Really happy with my water spike. Seems to be one of the better all around anchors I’ve used. I don’t use an anchor too much anymore so it’s nice that the water spike has a pin you can pull out to store the whole thing flat

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Before spotlock days the right anchor was crucial!
    It was always a dead even split between waterspike and Richtor.

Longer line is required for the spike vs the sure weight of the richtor on a shorter line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Longer line is required for the spike vs the sure weight of the richtor on a shorter line.

So true. That’s the reason I went with the spike over the richtor. I’m lazy and the richtor was heavy! LOL!

If your fishing the St Croix or a lake frequently (sand or smooth shale) the richtor has the edge. Otherwise 3 feet of rubber coated chain and 75′ of rope will do you well (unless you’re anchoring in plus 30′ of water).

Dean, it’s the 5/8″ isn’t it for being easier on the hands. I know I’ve tried the thinner nylon rope and I hate it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I use what I call the river spike style slip ring anchor (photo) with 3 feet of rubber coated chain and it’s done very well for me.

X2

I own a Richter and it sits on the shelf. WaterSpike all the way.

The only time the Richter did a better job was in a very muddy bottom. Then the extra weight of the Richter helped a lot. In a rock, gravel sand bottom its a Water Spike 100%.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Yes BK the rope diameter and chain were a critical link on pool 4 current.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Catriver Anchor. Last one you’ll ever buy.

I’ve anchored a 40′ yacht in high water with my anchor.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Son told me about a box anchor and picked one up. Takes up less room than spike and worked well for him as I have not had a chance to try yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.