Am I okay for Canada?

• Gitchi Gummi

I think this is the point that @tswoboda was originally trying to make. They can’t deny re-entry if you are a US citizen. Will they make it hard? Probably. Would it be easier if you had what they wanted? For sure. But you will still get in.
    DT

you will get back in… eventually… But you might spend your entire day (or multiple days) at the border trying to remedy the situation and might screw up something for your buddies trip or them trying to get home.

I don’t know why anyone would knowingly sign up to go thru that process when it is so easy to get a passport or EDL if you put in one ounce of planning.

I default to the laws, regulations and requirements on what the respective countries border security states. I’d never tell someone that because Jim Bob’s uncle’s father in law did it, you should be able to also. That is how misinformation spreads. At the end of the day, it’s up to the border agents discretion and I wouldn’t bank my or my buddies trip on that gamble. You’re driving separate if thats the case.

tswoboda

You have your panties all bunched up asking for personal experience… how much personal experience do you have crossing without a passport?

I’ll say it again, I don’t know why anyone would knowingly sign up to go thru that process when it is so easy to get a passport or EDL if you put in one ounce of planning. I will never understand why people make things harder on themselves than they need to. There’s always somebody who wants to test the waters tho.

I already mentioned a couple examples….

But for the guy reading this who’s nervously waiting on the passport in the mail, or the guy who’s buddy asked him to go on a trip 2 weeks before they leave… don’t cancel your trip, you will get in and back home with your BC and DL.

Sometimes life gets in the way of planning. Sometimes you don’t even know there’s something to plan for. Life is too short to skip a trip with the boys.

FinnyDinDin

So what would have been your simple answer to the original poster been? This was simply different people who have had different experiences. None of the answers more correct or incorrect than another. It sure would be nice if the Question had a clear answer, but I can tell you when it comes to Canadian border crossings they are no clear answers.
    end quote

I already provided it. Check the fifth reply.

I also pretty much called how this would play out. That’s why I answer the question and bail on these threads.

tswoboda

I also pretty much called how this would play out. That’s why I answer the question and bail on these threads.

Smart man lol

Riverrat

I’ve only been on IDO for like a year and I’ve already seen this whole thread play out at least once before.

B-man

My buddy crossed into Canada using a “Real ID” driver’s license thinking it was what was needed for both sides.

When we went to cross back into the United States the border agents were not happy…

While they were holding us, I quipped to the agent that he [my buddy] was a United States Army Combat Veteran.

She turned to my buddy and said, “Thank you for your service Nathan, but you still need proper identification to re-enter the United States.”

Eventually they let us cross back in, but he was told not to do it again.

———-

On a different trip another buddy was grilled hard and nearly denied entry (applying for his RABC in person) into Canada for not declaring a misdemeanor disorderly conduct he received in the United States (bar fight in his early 20’s).

He sat on the naughty bench for an hour before they finally gave him his RABC.

———–

Moral of the story, both sides of customs don’t f-around

Have your ducks in a row.

CaptainMusky

Exactly Bman! That’s what’s I’ve been saying yet some who shall remain nameless think its not big deal. Not at all.

Gitchi Gummi

Sure doesn’t look like you bailed on the thread to me wink

Gitchi Gummi

You have your panties all bunched up asking for personal experience… how much personal experience do you have crossing without a passport?

No panties here. Sorry to disappoint you.

No, never crossed without a passport. I do my homework and travel with all necessary documentation. Life’s too short to chance blowing up a trip over an extremely preventable issue.

FinnyDinDin

Sure doesn’t look like you bailed on the thread to me wink

Do you see me bickering with ignorant people like you?

I used to be like tswoboda and didn’t want to see people bail on their Canadian adventure over false information. I gave up.

shefland
    Walker

you can cross all you want, but if they take it to the next level, and lie, you are in trouble. My buddy, at Pembina crossing lied about a DUI from 18 years ago, he had to pay a fee to get a one time entry in. The canadians know what you have been up to, once again thats if they take it to another level No skeletons in the closet

jwellsy

+2 on the no sunglasses thing. We also take off our hats and don’t avoid eye contact at all.

If it’s dark we turn on the interior dome light so they can see everybody’s hands (no smoking at the border).

I think the best response To DUI questions is to say “yes, 20 years ago (or whatever) I went through a rough time and made some poor choices”. They seemed to appreciate the honesty and candor.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Can someone tell me who I would contact in order to find out if I would have an issue getting into canada.
    Over ten years ago I have a OUI in WI. I have a new passport and wondering if I would have an issue crossing the border.

I had exactly the same question this past summer.

I had a new friend join one of our little expeditions to the far north and I know to always ask about any new person’s DUI situation.

Low/behold, this guy had a DUI just over 14 years ago. He had all his paperwork as far as having done what needed to be done at the time, so fingers-crossed, we went ahead with the trip.

He drove his own truck and pulled his own boat, so just in case he was turned back, we’d have been able to continue on with minimal disruption.

We crossed at Frostbite Falls / Ft. Frances. The game plan was obviously don’t bring it up unless asked, but if asked don’t lie.

As it turned out, the question was never asked.

We were talking with some other Americans who own another camp on the river, and they couldn’t recall the question ever being asked of their group either.

So as others have said, there are no absolutes because every border agent could go a different way with this. But the majority opinion seems to be that after 10 years or more, it’s not going to be a show stopper.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

yeah, travelling with a birth certificate is far safer and easier than getting an enhanced dl. come on folks, get it together! what kind of backwoods fool would refuse to get the enhanced instead of having to travel with your birth certificate. smgdh

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

yeah, travelling with a birth certificate is far safer and easier than getting an enhanced dl. come on folks, get it together! what kind of backwoods fool would refuse to get the enhanced instead of having to travel with your birth certificate. smgdh

Yeah, I don’t get going through all the contortions to avoid getting a passport/EDL. It takes 1 appointment and like 40 minutes to get a passport. Then you’re good for a decade wherever you want to go.

I use my passport for Canada/USA re-entry. Works 100% of the time. Works anywhere an American can go. Fast and easy. I like fast and easy stuff that works 100% of the time.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

yeah, travelling with a birth certificate is far safer and easier than getting an enhanced dl. come on folks, get it together! what kind of backwoods fool would refuse to get the enhanced instead of having to travel with your birth certificate.

That’s what I was saying earlier in this thread but there are some that would still rather try to cross with a standard DL and their birth certificate. doah

Bring a second vehicle, just like Dutchboy says, so the person who gets denied can drive back home without ruining the trip for everyone else.

Gitchi Gummi

The irony is off the charts with this post. Thanks for the laugh little man

MX1825

I’ll bet original poster wishes he never started this thread. doah

Cam White

So much misinformation given in this thread, it’s not even worth commenting about. As I’ve said before, if anyone has anything on their record that converts to a felony here in Canada like a dui, spend the 50 bucks and apply for a nexus card. Both countries review your file and criminal history, and both have to accept you to be allowed into the trusted traveller program. If you get rejected, then you need to speak to a lawyer that specializes in border issues.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Can’t believe i read all this. LOL My absentee neighbor is a retired border patrol agent for US/Mexico . He told me some very interesting stories in his working career to say the least . Myself as of late always used a passport no issues , but no DUI,s One year shed antler hunting came back with a pair of moose sheds a spike buck antler and a jaw bone from a bear . Declared everything and US border agent stated it was illegal to have the jaw bone in my possession ! Uh Oh ! Gave us a pass to return to Canada and get rid of it . On the way back through he asked if we had anything else to declare ? Most definitely not i replied . He smiled and sent us on our way . I would not want to push my luck , i’m sure they could make life miserable if they so choose to .

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FinnyDinDin wrote:</div>

You are welcome big man.

I was simply pointing out your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject. Happens in every Canada crossing thread. Never fails.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

A Nexus card takes 11-20 months for processing….

Not sure if that would be a viable option

Gitchi Gummi

You are welcome big man.

I was simply pointing out your obvious lack of knowledge on the subject. Happens in every Canada crossing thread. Never fails.

Only in your mind could someone providing actual links and references to the US and CA border control be said to be ignorant. What exactly did I say that is incorrect?

You telling people they don’t need a passport or EDL to successfully travel home from Canada contradicts information directly from the US Border Patrol… but please, go ahead and tell me how ignorant I am.

Leo Dogg

At least this problem has been solved.

Justin Trudeau Installs Taxpayer-Funded Tampon Dispensers in Canadian Men’s Bathrooms.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reportedly made good in the week leading up to Christmas on his May 2023 promise to install dispensers for feminine hygiene products in men’s bathrooms.

tswoboda

Oh boy this one just won’t go away. Y’all really didn’t have anything better to be doing on Christmas Eve?

For my 26th post on this insane thread I will again remind you I completely agree that a passport is the way to go… use a passport, or passport card, or EDL. I’ve maintained a current passport since I was old enough to know what a passport is and I’m also now on my third Enhanced Driver’s License.

Again, I’m not recommending crossing with only a birth certificate and driver’s license. I don’t do it. I’m certainly not telling you guys to do it. I’m simply saying you can. And it blows my mind you guys keep belittling the multiple people on this thread who have first hand experience doing this, when you have no experience with it at all.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

Yeah, I don’t get going through all the contortions to avoid getting a passport/EDL. It takes 1 appointment and like 40 minutes to get a passport. Then you’re good for a decade wherever you want to go.

I use my passport for Canada/USA re-entry. Works 100% of the time. Works anywhere an American can go. Fast and easy. I like fast and easy stuff that works 100% of the time.

That’s what I was saying earlier in this thread but there are some that would still rather try to cross with a standard DL and their birth certificate.

Bring a second vehicle, just like Dutchboy says, so the person who gets denied can drive back home without ruining the trip for everyone else.

tswoboda

^^^ This made me actually laugh out loud rotflol

For the record Timmy’s coffee is absolute p!ss water whistling

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

For the record Timmy’s coffee is absolute p!ss water

I agree. But those crazy Canucks must not think so, Or maybe they like P!ss water. It is the only place in Canada that I’ve seen lines waiting around the building for something. The one here is Saint Cloud lasted about a few months. Of all the coffee shops in this town its the only one that DIDN”T have a line.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.