Am I okay for Canada?

• lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Can someone tell me who I would contact in order to find out if I would have an issue getting into canada.

Over ten years ago I have a OUI in WI. I have a new passport and wondering if I would have an issue crossing the border.

I turn 50 in couple of years and would like to plan something possibly for a trip.

Thanks in advance.

Gitchi Gummi

based on everything I’ve heard is it’s 100% dependent upon what border agent you get when crossing and what kind of day they’re having. It is not as black and white as it should be, even with the 10 year rule.

One easy way to test the waters is apply for a RABC (remote area border crossing) permit which can be done online. You fill out a form, provide a pic of your passport, and pay the fee (I think it was like $35 or something?). I needed a RABC permit for my BWCA trip last summer and had my form approved and back to me in like 2 days or something crazy like that and it is good for a year.

DO NOT LIE on the application! One of the questions asks if you have ever committed a crime. If you lie and say no and they find out during whatever background checks they do, they will deny you immediately.

Krh129

Contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Generally for an alcohol related driving offense you are considered rehabilitated after 10 years from the completion of your sentence and can cross. Within 10 years you will need a waiver.

CaptainMusky

We have two guys that have DUIs on their record (not sure how long ago) and they have not had any trouble getting in BUT I am not saying you may not.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I would call the border crossing you will be entering at. Take notes. Name of person, date etc.

FinnyDinDin

You will be fine. I have friends and family that have crossed dozens of times with a dui over 10 years old with no questions asked.

I am sure plenty of people will tell you otherwise. For some reason there is tons of false rumors about crossing in to Canada that people claim to be fact. I see it in every thread.

You don’t even need a passport if crossing by land but nearly everyone will tell you that you do.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It sure would be nice if there were clear rules. I have a friend who has an offense or two (there’s a drunk and disorderly conduct in there). Probably 10 years ago, he wanted to take a trip north of the border. He went through all of the right channels, and in the end, received a harshly-worded letter stating that he was never welcome in Canada. rotflol

CaptainMusky

You don’t even need a passport if crossing by land but nearly everyone will tell you that you do.

You dont, but you will need at least an enhanced drivers license to get back into the US.

tswoboda

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/overcome-criminal-convictions.html#a1

If you want to be 100% certain then consult with a lawyer that specializes in Canadian immigration law. You’re going to get a million different stories and opinions on the forums, 99% of them going off hearsay from a buddy’s buddy.

Just one recommendation, coming directly from someone who’s been through it. Do not call the CBSA office where you plan to cross looking for advice – that will get you nowhere. When I went through this I called every entry from Pembina to I’Falls and they all said the same thing… I’m inadmissible and do not try to cross. I said screw that and I’ve crossed more times than I can count since then without doing any rehabilitation and never been denied. Had to pay the $200 TRP one time and been interviewed a couple other times. But if I went off my calls to CSBA then I never would have even tried.

tswoboda

You dont, but you will need at least an enhanced drivers license to get back into the US.

Nah. The US CBP is not going to deny re-entry to a US citizen because they don’t have a passport or enhanced DL.

CaptainMusky

Nah. The US CBP is not going to deny re-entry to a US citizen because they don’t have a passport or enhanced DL.

A buddy in my group just last year gave them just a regular license and the dude requested an enhanced license or a passport.

tswoboda

A buddy in my group just last year gave them just a regular license and the dude requested an enhanced license or a passport.

Is he still sitting at the border?

big_g
    Isle, MN

You don’t need a lawyer. Just go here and follow the rehab link

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You will definitely need an enhanced DL, passport card, or valid passport to enter Canada. An enhanced DL can be used to enter via a land crossing.

Traveling by air into Canada you need a passport.

tswoboda

No, he had his passport and gave that to them.

Was he just doing a science experiment or what? jester

I hope you see my point of what do you think those agents would do with your buddy if he didn’t have that passport. If he only had what was required to get into Canada, ID and birth certificate. You really believe they would have denied him entry and made him stay in Canada? No, they say welcome home – bring a passport next time.

tswoboda

You will definitely need an enhanced DL, passport card, or valid passport to enter Canada.

no you don’t

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Right from the Canadian Border Services website.

International visitors to Canada
    Check Travel health measures

All international travellers must carry acceptable identification and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.

International transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure that travellers have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or refused entry into Canada. What you need will depend on where you are from, how you are travelling, and what documents you are travelling with. Consult entry requirements by country.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

tswoboda

A passport is recommended

Where does it say You will definitely need an enhanced DL, passport card, or valid passport to enter Canada.

You can 100% enter with a DL and birth certificate. Do I recommend it? No. But saying you can’t is just wrong.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You can 100% enter with a DL and birth certificate. Do I recommend it? No. But saying you can’t is just wrong.

I’d say its a requirement if you look at the State Department’s requirements listed below. Maybe a inquiry right to the source would be better than looking for advice on an outdoors forum, as already stated above.

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 only need proof of U.S. citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html#:~:text=Entry%20into%20Canada%3A%20Canadian%20law,need%20proof%20of%20U.S.%20citizenship.

CaptainMusky

I hope you see my point of what do you think those agents would do with your buddy if he didn’t have that passport. If he only had what was required to get into Canada, ID and birth certificate. You really believe they would have denied him entry and made him stay in Canada? No, they say welcome home – bring a passport next time.

I cannot say with 100% certainly what would have happened to him if he didnt provide a passport because he had one. But I am just saying the agent specifically asked him for other form of identification.

tswoboda

Gim that still doesn’t say anything about a passport/card/EDL being required… simply those are accepted options. A birth certificate is also an accepted option for US citizens entering Canada by land. Saying otherwise is just not true. And I know this seems petty but the reason I keep going after this is I’ve run into so many times where people think they need to cancel a trip because their passport didn’t come in time and they read on a forum that they need a passport to get into Canada.

Maybe a inquiry right to the source would be better than looking for advice on an outdoors forum, as already stated above.

Lol I completely agree. I think that was my advice, right?

CaptainMusky

My son turned 17 last year and a drivers license was not sufficient for getting him into canada he had to get a passport. I dont know why in the world that is, but we had to get him one. I read it online somewhere before the trip and a buddy who had his kid go through the same scenario a few years earlier.

ThunderLund78

Just our group’s experience – we have one guy who has a DUI from more than 10 years ago -in fact more than 20, clean record otherwise. He’s never been denied but about every 3rd trip he gets a hard time about it. Anecdotally, I agree with “depends on the agent and the day.” maybe they have a power trip or maybe they’re just bored and like to mess with an occasional traveler. You’d think that they’d keep record of having the conversation in the system and if nothing has hit his record since the last crossing they’d just let him through. And they usually do, but then a year or two goes by and he gets pulled into the side room and gets the “Do you feel you’ve been rehabilitated?” convo.

Riverrat

Two different things are happening here. 1 Entering Canada. Can be done with a valid license and certified birth certificate when traveling by land or sea.2. Re-entering the US. This is what the Enhanced license is for when traveling by land or sea. Can also be done with a variety of other documents including green cards, passport, rabies vaccination, etc. Everytime someone comes to the office and asks if they can get into Canada with there standard license I tell them they can get in with that and a birth certificate, but it doesn’t mean they can get out. I’ve heard the US Border patrol might give you a hard time but they don’t seem to hold people at the border if they have what they got in with. Sorry this doesn’t answer your question OP but maybe clears up what should be focused on.

tswoboda

My son turned 17 last year and a drivers license was not sufficient for getting him into canada he had to get a passport. I dont know why in the world that is, but we had to get him one. I read it online somewhere before the trip and a buddy who had his kid go through the same scenario a few years earlier.

Probably read it on a forum jester

A regular driver’s license won’t get anyone into Canada, not sure where you go that idea. Proof of citizenship and proof of id are the requirements and 16 is the age cutoff, under 16 they only need the proof of citizenship (birth certificate). Birth certificate is proof of citizenship and DL is proof of ID. Passport/card/EDL all cover both proof of citizenship and ID.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Generally for an alcohol related driving offense you are considered rehabilitated after 10 years from the completion of your sentence and can cross. Within 10 years you will need a waiver.

This was the case until Canada legalized weed. Once that happened, a DUI became a more serious offense meaning that the 10 year waiting period for deemed rehabilitation no longer applies to DUIs. There is no period of time now where you can be deemed rehabilitation after a DUI because a DUI in Canada is now punishable up to 10 years.

Now, I did read on a Canadian law office website that they are supposed to grandfather you in if your DUI occurred prior to weed legalization. The problem is “supposed to” and “must” are the same thing. At this point, it’s anybody’s guess what they would do.

tswoboda

Also just a note that it’s not 10 years from when the offense occurred. It’s 10 years from the end of the sentence, so something like a suspended sentence or probation was involved then it’s 10 years from the end of that.

Side note… After reading Canadian English, why don’t Americans spell sentence “SENTENSE” like we do with offense/defense

Gitchi Gummi

The US Border Patrol requires either a password, enhanced ID or tribal card, US military ID, or nexus card to re-enter the US.

Source: US Customs and Border Protection
    https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3618?language=en_US

I don’t know what they’d do in the event you somehow didn’t have one of those items. I certainly wouldn’t plan on trying to get thru the border without one of those items and doing so would be pretty foolish IMO, especially considering that it’s easy to get a EDL or passport. I’m sure they have a process to solve this issue but I don’t know why someone would willingly choose that route.

I’d be curious to see your source that’d support your statement of not needing any of those items. I’d want first hand documentation, not hearsay like someone’s cousins brother in law’s neighbor did it 10 years ago.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    You will definitely need an enhanced DL, passport card, or valid passport to enter Canada.

no you don’t

Tswoboda

If you have managed to get into Canada or Mexico with nothing more than a standard US drivers license, you are one lucky guy. Your chances of winning the lottery is about as good as that happening. Not saying it can’t happen, but I would for sure not count on it.
    Believe me. After going to Canada twice a year for the last 6-7 year ( Minus the covid lock down year ) I’ve seen all kinds of crazy things happen at the border. As someone who has traveled with Various people into Canada who have had past DWI’s, I can tell you for a Fact that you can and possible will get denied entry. Not saying you will be. but for sure may be.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.