Always crappies

• jeremey Carel

I’m pretty lucky to have a friend who has “everything” in the ice fishing world. He very generous and invites me to all his “local” hotspots. Don’t get me wrong the guy is great – but here is my issue. All he wants to do is catch crappies. That’s it. It’s fun but I’d love to target other species and he really doesn’t. In your opinion whats a good way to “convince” him to bracnh out a little. Thanks for your input.

404 ERROR
    MN

I got a buddy with the same problem. My solution was to fish Crappies with him and other species with other people…no use in trying to convince someone to do something they don’t enjoy, that just drives wedges.

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

Get him on a good bite of another species; sounds like he’s into agressive, fast action. I was the same way until I got into a hot ‘eye bite, I liked how predictable and agressive panfish are (not to mention you can get a great dinner after waytogo ). Anyone who will show you their local spots is a keeper!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

So you want him to “branch out” as in him show his other species spots or “branch out” as in you show him spots.

If you dangle enough carrots in front of him what u can catch he’ll come with. Maybe u don’t have the equipment or know how to do that though?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Perhaps you need to branch out?
    Begin buying your own gear and begin finding your own spots…
    Something to consider, change yourself rather than others.
    Sounds rash but its not meant to be, just being to the point.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

When your on the right water set out some tip-ups to get him “hooked”. Plant the idea in his head like Leo in Inception.

Dan Baker

I have the same problem with a friend of mine, but it’s in the summer. I bring him out on the boat and want to throw for bass, but he is stuck with the a mini-mite and Ultra Light in his had all the time. I just let him go with it. My boat, my spots.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m pretty lucky to have a friend who has “everything” in the ice fishing world. He very generous and invites me to all his “local” hotspots. Don’t get me wrong the guy is great – but here is my issue. All he wants to do is catch crappies. That’s it. It’s fun but I’d love to target other species and he really doesn’t. In your opinion whats a good way to “convince” him to bracnh out a little. Thanks for your input.

And I say, “don’t look a gift horse……”

Nodak

The answer has already been nailed. Buy your own gear if you want freedom. The property owner makes the rules.

Go enjoy crappies with your friend. Respect his preferences even if they are dumb and be content just to enjoy the day with your friend.

Once you get your own gear, then go tear up walleye, night fish burbot, set rigs for pike, and cover water as much as you want. Do whatever. Invite him to go under the pretense that you are now going to try your ideas. He may take to it, he may not.

We are all individuals with different preferences that contrast even more in fishing.

I like to fly fish and vertical jig with ultralights. When I invite people, I’ll do those things. I’m not a fan of trolling but when I go with other people, they want to troll. So I troll. The owner of the boat is the captain. Concessions can be made but I never push them.

I fish with my favorite setups and take extra steps to help odds. Then I’ll have a guy in my boat who ties a crankbait on his ultralight to troll with no leader. I dont offer advice unless asked for it. Even if I outfish the other guy, we both got to do it exactly how we wanted to. Older guys often resist trying new ways. I just let them do it how they always have. Lastly, fishing is arbitrary. My way is not the best, just different.

At the end of the day, we just like fishing. My libertarian principles kinda infiltrated my reply.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Does your friend, need another friend? wave Can you arrange an introduction?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.