Alumacraft: T-Pro 195 or Competitor 205

• John Jackson

Hi guys, I am currently transitioning from a tiller to console (wife mediated). I have decided to go with alumacraft. I mostly fish musky and pike but am transiting to more multispecies (walleye and bass). I live on a 9,000 acre lake that gets windy and I troll and cast almost equal amounts. I will likely take the boat on Lake Superior, Vermillion, Leech, etc.

Which of the two boats will likely be the best for mostly musky / pike fishing with some big water trolling / walleye fishing?

Thanks, and yes I am planning on looking at both this week in person I’m just looking for some advice from current owners (mostly on the gunwale width with figure 8’s, ability to get shallow, tracking with trolling motors in wind, hull differences, etc)

Thanks,
    Steven

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have to believe bigger is better.

Joe

I have a competitor 205 and do a lot of musky fishing. The front deck is massive and the rod lockers hold 9′ rods. Great musky boat.

I prefer the narrow gunnels on the competitor, I have a single cinsole and I like to lay rods down on the ledge while fishing or walk can around the boat with a fish on since its the same height as the casting deck.

As far as wind goes, it’s usually windy here. Boat handles it fine, but being a 20.5′ aluminum boat it does catch wind and can get blown around if you are moving along under 1mph while casting with a crosswind. I think this would be worse in the T-pro as i believe that has taller sides. If you are moving faster 1.5+mph trolling it tracks better.

michael keehr

I don’t own either but have been in both. The front deck on the 195 felt really tight with 2 people on it. The 205 was comfortable with 2. I would say get the 205. I really liked spring crappie fishing out of the 205 as it had bases for 2 seats up front. The 205 was really nice in the back as you could walk the elevated side as well. The 195 did feel more solid when we pounded huge waves but alot of that has to do with driver. I don’t think you would go wrong either way

John Jackson

Thats great information guys thank you. I think you’re spot on Michael and I will go with a competitor 205. Now to decide between and Evinrude G2 and Yamaha SHO.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I mainly fish muskies and the Comp 205 has about as good of a front casting set up as you can imagine. Also, you can get the flip down back seats that extend the back casting deck too. I ended up getting an Edge 185 with a G2 150HO last year due to it being better watersports/cruising set up (wife loved it), and a little more affordable than the 205. I will say that the wider gunnels on the Edge (same as T-Pro essentially) haven’t been an issue with figure 8’s at all.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

I have the below 205, I mostly muskie fish but do fish for everything. Boat has an amazing layout for multi-species. In the pic of the front deck, that is a 8’6″ musky rod and it lays flat on the deck in front of the windshield, the deck is massive and a treat to cast from. I got the jump seat / casting deck extension and really like that when I decide to troll or have 3-4 people in the boat, no need for extra seat bases. I got 16 rods in the front rod storage, and can fit 12′ trolling rods in the side rod locker, and a whole bunch of them at that. I really like the way this boat handles, yes its a big tin boat, so wind can be tricky at times when casting, but with a 36V TM and some practice you can fish in about anything with this rig, if you have questions let me know.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0720.jpg

2. VVXR4309.jpg

3. IMG_0544.jpg

Joe

Bigstick, how does that work with 16 rods in the bow? Doubled up in each spot? Do ypu still have the plastic piece in that holds the handle end of the rods?

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

Yes it’s stock still, rod socks are a must, on the bottom row I can get 2-3 bait casters per tube, with a 9’ length, you can stagger the rods and lay them on the bottom. The top row I double up a couple of them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.