Alumacraft Competitor 205 -115 SHO Speed

• JonnyMo

Hey all,

Well I finally had a chance to finish off the 2 hours of break in on the 115 Yamaha SHO attached to my Competitor 205 Tiller… so I was able to go WOT for some short distances.

Results were 40mph loaded with TM, 4 batteries, half tank, 2 people, and fishing gear.

Now I know some will say that’s not fast, but it’s plenty for me in a tiller! Lol

My last boat hit about 29mph on a good day, and the extra bump in speed is nice.

I doubt I will be pounding WOT too often as it’s not cruising at that speed, it’s more hanging on. Control is great, and very impressed with the handling of pretty good chop.

All I can say is the new near 21ft Alumacraft dances across what my old 16.5ft Princecraft was getting crushed on. Nothing against my old boat, I loved it very much and have nothing negative to say about Princecraft… but wow, this Alumacraft is smooooth! Those extra feet really make a HUGE difference!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, and if you were debating the 115 SHO on the Competitor 205… it’s really a perfect fit.

BTW, low troll speed in forward was as low as 2.2mph. That’s plenty slow for most of what I do. Adding a sock should drop me to a snails pace.

Very happy!

paulroecker

Drop your vantage to slow your forward trolling speed.

JonnyMo

Hey Paul,
    Apologies for my ignorance… can you explain what you mean by dropping my vantage point?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

He is referring to your transom mounted minnkota vantage trolling motor. Assuming you have one. Most tiller guys do.

JonnyMo

He is referring to your transom mounted minnkota vantage trolling motor. Assuming you have one. Most tiller guys do.

Ahhh… no, my trolling motor in a bow mount and I am using my main engine on its lowest setting.

I might consider a rear one down the road! )

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Drop your bow mount in the water, it creates drag. Also trim the main motor up that will also slow you down.

Enjoy the boat!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.