Alumacraft 205 Tiller mercury 175Pro XS combo

• Dave Mulder

I am looking at picking up this Tiller combo shortly (2023 year models) Looking for a prop recommendation for the 175 Pro XS that will get me started as a good baseline. Does anyone run this combo by chance? Or something similar to it. Boat weight dry is 1616lbs 175HP Motor is a V6 5400-6000 rpms at WOT

Based on running this hull before with various motors I would expect mid+ 45 mph for performance. Thanks

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1507.jpeg

mojogunter

I would guess a 17P for more low end hole shot, and up to a 19P for more speed.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have 0 input on this but thats a sweet rig! waytogo

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

What does your dealer say? Warner’s in New Richmond had a 205 with a 175 on it earlier this spring, talk to them and see if they will help you out.

I would think a Tempest in a 19(or maybe a 21) or an Enertia in a 20 would be a good start.

Setting the motor at the right height is just as if not even more important. Also remember, the max RPM range is 5400-6000, but you always want to be closer to the high end, so hitting 6000 is ideal. Also, you want these RPMs are your typical boat load, so don’t do it with a 1/4 tank and nothing else in the boat.

Dave Mulder

Have had a chance to run the boat with a 4 blade aluminum 19 pitch prop. 5000 rpm.s with 43 mph. Great hole shot and good bite with the prop cornering. I would think switching to 3 blade will do the trick to get my rpm.s up?

Going to try a 4 blade 17 pitch this coming week (have one in the garage already)

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Going from a 4 to a 3 blade, same pitch will typically net you around 2-300 RPMs. Still too low for max RPM. Are you sure your motor is set at the correct height? And are you sure that MPH/RPM is correct? Something seems off.

A 19″ Tempest should be the correct prop.

I also wouldn’t be chasing the prop selection until you have the motor at the right height. You want to be as close to 6k RPMs as possible.

Dave Mulder

The 19 pitch tempest is on my shortlist right now….sounds like that is the prop most are using.

Motor is mounted 2nd hole from the top at this time. Certainly a consideration to move up. I believe the last time we were out up on plane the cavitation plate was out of the water but will double check. Thanks for the input!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Going from a 4 to a 3 blade, same pitch will typically net you around 2-300 RPMs. Still too low for max RPM. Are you sure your motor is set at the correct height? And are you sure that MPH/RPM is correct? Something seems off.

A 19″ Tempest should be the correct prop.

I also wouldn’t be chasing the prop selection until you have the motor at the right height. You want to be as close to 6k RPMs as possible.

Can you explain how motor height effects holes hot and overall top RPM’s?

Would it also effect how much you can trim the boat while going full speed? What about tiller torque?

Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread. If so I can start another one.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Raising the motor reduces the amount of drag in the water which usually equates to higher RPM and speed. Not sure it helps holeshot all that much. With a stainless prop you can get by with a higher setting because of better bite/less slippage compared to aluminum. Stainless also typically allows more trim for the same reason.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Can you explain how motor height effects holes hot and overall top RPM’s?

Would it also effect how much you can trim the boat while going full speed? What about tiller torque?

Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread. If so I can start another one.

Motor height is very critical when talking holeshot, mid range and top speed.

The lower the lower unit is in the water, the better holeshot you will experience….obviously there are exceptions to this rule. But, the lower your lower unit is in the water, also creates more drag, which is reduce your mid and top speed. Plus, it will also lower fuel efficiency. More drag lowers RPMS, and you want your motor to be as close to the top end of the recommends max RPMS. In this case the recommended max RPM is 5400-6000. You want to be as close to 6000 RPMs when full throttle, trimmed and at your typical boat weight. But, if you raise your motor too high you will cause prop blowout and performance will suffer greatly. A motor can be raised so high that basically only (1) ear of the prop is fully submerged in the water(when on plane, trimmed, max RPMs), these props have a very high pitch and is basically a boat used for top speed only(race boat). Might be more info that you really want to read.

This is why you see hydraulic jack plates on so many large glass boats. Dig the motor down for planning out, then raise the motor for most efficient cruise/top speed.

Typically when on plane and trimmed, you want the cavitation plate above the water line. This can be frustrating and most do not mess with it, and just get within a ideal range. There is not perfect prop or perfect motor height setting for all application, hence the jack plate.

Yes, check where your cavitation plate is when up on plane. I’m very confident the motor could be raised a hole. Most dealers go conservative when setting the motor height. As it is in their best interest to be conservative than go all out performance.

Your rigs top speed should be around 46-47, so you are chasing 3-4 MPH. My 205 with a 175 Zuk top speed is 45, but the gear ratio is a 2.50, you have a 1.85, so you should see a higher top end.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I run an Alumacraft 2XB hull, so somewhat similar to the OP. I believe my cavitation plate is 1 to 1 1/2″ above the bottom of my hull. I run a tempest plus prop and get virtually no blowout on turns. My setup is a 185 with a Merc 150 4 stroke and 19p prop. I feel like I’m slightly over-propped, but the next step down in the tempest is a 17p. I think you’re on the right track starting with the 19p tempest though and possibly raising one more hole. Some prop shops will let you test multiple options. These props are spendy and you want to get it right.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.