New Alumacraft Owners?

• kroger3
    blaine mn

Purchased a 2012 175 competitor tiller and has anyone else found out that the new fuel system advertised at 35 gallons is actually a 30 gallon but only has a capicty of 20 useable gallons???

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

what??

so how much gas ACTUALLY fits into the tank??

sounds like a ponzi scheme 2me…

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

That boat will have 2 gas lines from the tank. Each line has a drop tube that sits in the tank, one being higher then the other. Perhaps that’s where the shortage comes from

kroger3
    blaine mn

The tank has a 30 gallon capicity even though the catalogs say 35 and when you hit about 20 gallons you hit where the vent lines enter the tank causing no more venting while filling and it will burp fuel in your face. I am told this is the new system for 2012 and am still dealing on them with the issue. Bought this model for the advertised 35 gallon capicty for the long trips where refueling is not an option. Had I known you only could do 20 gallons I would have gotten something else.

Boat was sent back to alumacraft to pull the floor up an address the issue and was basically told its normal and just put 20 gallons in.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

First thing is how do you know this. I noticed on mine that the gas gauge always reads less when on the trailer then in the water. When I bought the boat, dealer told me that they put in 10 gallons of gas. Gas gauge still read empty on the trailer. Never started reading until I put another 10 gallons in.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Oh man that sucks. That’s like buying a new Vet with a 4 cylinder in it

Beaver E

I got a tourny 2009. It said it has a 38 gallon tank and I looked at he gas gauge and it read empty. I then went to fill it up and only put 20 gal. in. I am still confused about it. My dealer told me that it wont read right on the trailer.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

First thing is how do you know this. I noticed on mine that the gas gauge always reads less when on the trailer then in the water. When I bought the boat, dealer told me that they put in 10 gallons of gas. Gas gauge still read empty on the trailer. Never started reading until I put another 10 gallons in.

This is coming right from the engineering dept and parts dept at alumacraft that it is a 30 gallon tank with 20 usable gallons with the new venting system and the advertisment is a “mis print”.

They picked up my boat Monday and returned it today to fix some other issues as well as the fuel filling/capicity problem. I have a fuel flow sensor in with my HDS unit as well and can confirm first hand that I will run out before you use 35 gallons!

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

This is not good at all. I ordered a 185 a few weeks ago, and planned on taking it up to Rainy for the IDO get together. Only having 20 gallon of usable fuel will not cut it. What is good is a 30 gallon tank if you can only get 20 gallons of gas out if. I am going to have to give them a call, and get the scoop.

Drew

kroger3
    blaine mn

There advertised 35 gallon tank in the 175 tiller was one of my big reasons for going alumacraft. I should hear more back tomorrow about it. May end up buying a new boat again this year

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Looked at my 195 last night and it says 41 gal tank. I have the main motor on the lower intake and my kicker on the upper gas intake line. Not sure how much I can count on for either one. I try to run the tank low before heading home and don’t fill er up until I get to the water. My drives are about 4 and 5 hours so no need in hauling all that gas around.

Walleyeriz

I ordered the 185 dominator last week. It also says 35 gal. tank.It’s not a tiller, I hope I don’t have the same problem

kroger3
    blaine mn

Pretty sure it will be the wrong tank. Spoke with the VP Jerry Byron yesterday about it and new molds are in the works and should see new tanks in 6-7 weeks. According to him everyone will be notified by a mailing and replacement tanks will be installed when they are available. They admitted it was a HUGE oversight and will fix the problem. They had no idea about the problem until I brought it to there attention.

They have been standing behind there work 100% and are working on the solution but this is not a quick fix with a tank redesign

Walleyeriz

This is coming right from the engineering dept and parts dept at alumacraft that it is a 30 gallon tank with 20 usable gallons with the new venting system and the advertisment is a “mis print”.

They picked up my boat Monday and returned it today to fix some other issues as well as the fuel filling/capicity problem. I have a fuel flow sensor in with my HDS unit as well and can confirm first hand that I will run out before you use 35 gallons!

Could you post the phone # of the engeneering dept. I’d like to call about the Dominator

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Could you post the phone # of the engeneering dept. I’d like to call about the Dominator

I can confirm everything that Richie has posted. They are currently designing a replacement fuel tank, but do not have it ready to roll (or don’t have it in production yet). Your Dominator will have the same fuel tank as his (and my) Competitor. When they have everything figured out, you’ll get notified and will have the opportunity to have your fuel tank replaced.

It is probably worth clarifying… A person can get 30 gallons of fuel in the “bad” tank, and run through most of it. Filling just becomes a pain after ~20 gallons.

-Drew

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

I have a 38 in my 2010 Dominator but rarely fill it over half and have never filled it more than 3/4. I guess I just don’t see any reason to have all that extra weight in the boat. I have never had a problem filling but I also fill it slow. The idea of it burping fuel all over the carpet doesn’t appeal to me. Is this just the new models only or is this later ones also.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I guess I just don’t see any reason to have all that extra weight in the boat.

I agree with this for the most part. For my local fishing trips, there is no reason to have a full tank of gas. However, for trips like the IDO Rainy Lake GTG’s having a full tank of gas is a must. When you are on the water for 5 days in a row, having a full tank on day one is a must. I don’t really want to bring 10 extra containers of fuel along.

Quote:

Is this just the new models only or is this later ones also.

It is just the 2012 models. It is a conflict between a venting system that was designed for a 35 gallon tank, but got placed in a 30 gallon tank. The new venting system was designed to conform to California’s EPA standards.

Drew

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I just don’t see any reason to have all that extra weight in the boat.

I agree with this for the most part. For my local fishing trips, there is no reason to have a full tank of gas. However, for trips like the IDO Rainy Lake GTG’s having a full tank of gas is a must. When you are on the water for 5 days in a row, having a full tank on day one is a must. I don’t really want to bring 10 extra containers of fuel along.

Quote:

Is this just the new models only or is this later ones also.

It is just the 2012 models. It is a conflict between a venting system that was designed for a 35 gallon tank, but got placed in a 30 gallon tank. The new venting system was designed to conform to California’s EPA standards.

Drew

Your right on. As I was told by Alumacraft it was the 2012’s that were assembled after Jan 1st. If you have a 2012 from the end of last year then you are fine.

As for as needing the 35 gallons it is a must for the type of fishing I do. Sometimes refueling is not an option for several days at a time.

I will post more details as I hear them. The last conversation I had with the VP Jerry Byron he stated that the new tanks will be available in 6-7 weeks (as of 4-24)and the old ones will still be installed until then. Also talking with my salesman he herd there was a service bulliten coming out friday about the problem so hopefully the salse staffs are informed now.

melly

Ordered a 2012 Alumacraft Competitor 175 sport and after reading this
    called the headquarters. They are aware of the problem and it was a mix up with the company that builds their gas tanks is what I’m being told. They are in the process of figuring the best action to take however sounded like
    they would all get fixed and or replaced soon.

kroger3
    blaine mn

They seem to have a different answer for everyone. My last conversation with Jerry Byron on 5-2 was new tanks will be available in 3-4 weeks so he was thinking they could have the right tank in my boat before memorial weekend. I know this will probably not happen but thats what the VP of Alumacraft is telling me.

FYI make sure your dry storage, livewells, cooler, and splashwell do not leak from the deck surface down.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.