Aluma Lite vs Ridgeline skid house

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m looking to pick up a skid house for next season and am wondering if any IDO’ers have a recommendation on a good skid house.
    I’ve done some research and like the Ridgeline however they seem to be sold out until Sept. There are some Aluma Lites left and are being discounted.

I’m thinking a 6 x 10 V-front.
    I will be pulling it with a 700 Griz.
    It will stay on one lake so trailering it is a non-factor.
    Most of the time it will be fishing 2 people. (3 if I can get Iowaboy1 up there)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a guy on Lake State Fishing .com selling a skid house. It’s smaller then what you are looking for and I don’t know what they are worth. He has dropped the price 2 or 3 times so if you can make it work I would shoot him a offer. Might have to wait a couple of days, the web site over there is down yet again. jester
    The place is more predictable then Trump texting.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just checked for you. The site is back up but for some reason the ad is gone. crazy

Weird place over there. I’ll let you know if it reappears again. grin

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks Dutchboy

Iowaboy1

ha ha ha,I will be there,getting there is not the problem,getting home is after three or four days of the Jack-O-lympics.
    those furlongs are getting tough on this old bird,yes,furlongs,not furloughs.
    as in I went too fur and stayed too long.

not worried about getting lost neither,been fearsome confused for a month or two but never lost.

MNdrifter

Firebrand makes skidders too. Just sayin’ wink

I have been pleased with my Firebrand wheel house. Other than size. I’m contemplating going up a little longer, if I got the right offer for my 8×17…..

Doug M
    SE SD

Same here. Wish they should wait on hole placement at the advice of the buyer on at least a few of them, or just let the buyer do it themselves.

Tbone

I had a Ridgeline wheel house. Had nothing but problems. It couldn’t haul near the weight it was rated for. And a lot of poor welds that failed. Glad I wasn’t going down the road when the tounge snapped. Pain in the posterior getting it off the lake. Among other problems. I would go with a more reputable company.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m heading up to Cromwell this week to look at a 6 X 10 V Aluma Lite. Jay has great pricing on them now and seeing as the season is going to go thru the 4th of July I’ll still get plenty of use out of it this year.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Since you are going on a roadtrip, did you try Northland Auto in Milaca? They sell Yeti although I don’t know if thats what you are looking for.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I called up to Northland and they don’t have any skid houses.
    They said Yetti quit making them a few years ago

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

don’t mean to hi-jack the thread but just curious with an aluminum skid house would you be leaving that on the lake unattended or would you pull that onto shore every night? If leaving on the lake how would you secure it so theft is not a concern?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Crappie – Great question, and I have put alot of thought into it.
    I’ll chip it and put a sticker on the doors and windows stating that.
    I am on a lake that gets little traffic and is difficult to access so that helps.
    I plan on bringing it to shore each weekend. I have a boulder on shore that I will tapcon an eye bolt into and chain it up to that.
    Other than that, it will be insured.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Because I was a terrible school student i’ll ask this. If a person had a rod you could freeze into the lake to chain the house to, could you put a electrical charge from a battery to it to melt the ice & remove the rod when you wanted to move it? Don’t know many thieves that travel with batteries.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Because I was a terrible school student i’ll ask this. If a person had a rod you could freeze into the lake to chain the house to, could you put a electrical charge from a battery to it to melt the ice & remove the rod when you wanted to move it? Don’t know many thieves that travel with batteries.

I thought of something like that also, but like you I wasn’t the greatest student either. So I don’t know the answer to that.

Chad Leton

Interested in this topic as well. Good question..following

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Looks like we need somebody who went to school to learn or somebody that can google a solution. grin

MNBOWHUNTIN

I have an 8×12 v front aluma lite. I bought it as just a spray foamed shell, and have tried to keep the weight down as much as I could. I put a bunk in the back, a deep cycle battery, a solar panel, and some cedar boards for rattle reels and coat hooks. Other than that, it stays pretty light weight until I load it up with gear for a 3-4 day excursion. I pull it around with a Honda Foreman with tracks and trailer it on a 24ft snowmobile trailer.

The whole system works pretty well. I just got back from Clearwater Lake Manitoba, a 9 hr drive. The Honda did well pulling it with all the gear in it, I think we pulled it close to 20 miles on the lake.

The hitch that came with it is not very good, I have modified it to make it work better. As far as comparing it to the ridgeline, I can’t help much there. The overall craftsmanship of the aluma lite is lacking a bit, sheeting seams aren’t that tight and the spray in insulation, while good and warm, would be a PITA if a guy wanted to put up some T&G or something on the walls.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Forgot to add in the heater. I put in a Williams DV propane heater. Which weighs more than I would’ve liked, but it works well and has more than enough heat for the coldest nights.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

MNBOW –
    That’s great info. I’m not glad to hear the about the sheeting seams. I understand the pita spray foam but that seems to be an issue with any aluminum skid house. I’m thinking I would just paint the spray foam due to weight issues.
    I spoke with the guy from aluma lite and he said his house float. Said hi kid has a video of him and a buddy with the house on open water with an outboard in a hole pushing around a lake and their feet didn’t even get wet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.