All around ice rod ?

• walleyevision

Hi there,

My son would really like his “own” ice fishing rod for Christmas. I don’t want to get him something crappy for $20 and am willing to spend up to about $80-100. My question is what would be a good all around rod that he could use for walleye, perch or even panfish in a pinch? Should I be looking in the 36″ ML, fast category? If anyone has specific examples that would be great. I kind of jumped down the custom ice rods rabbit hole on google and it’s a bit overwhelming, lol.

Thanks!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Throne Bros perch sweetheart.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

2 $25 Beaver Dams, one ultra light or light and one medium. He’ll be set for years. 24-28 inch if in a shelter or house, 36 is fine for outside. IMHO

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Tuned Up has a chart on their site that may help. Trying to cover pannies and walleyes with a single rod puts you in between a lot of the actions. I’d choose the preference and lean that way for a single rod.

For $100 you can likely get two decent rods. Find an ultralight pannie rod and moderate/medium action walleye rod.

I’ve used the bullwhip from TUCR for both. It’s a bit underpowered for walleye but can get the job done…especially if they aren’t the main target species.

https://tunedupcustomrods.com/

dbright
    Cambridge

Unless you plan on doing alot of bobber fishing or adding a spring bobber to pan fish with I would much rather go with two $50 rods and get one for each. On a good bite a walleye rod will catch some pan fish but on a negative bite I will make for a long day of missed bites.

Smellson

Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart or Tucr Precision.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Throne Bros <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch sweetheart.

Bingo

Deuces

Why can’t the kiddo pick out his own rod and reel? Sounds more exciting to me. Head into Cabela’s, Scheels or Joe’s and watch his face light up when he sees all of them lined up hanging in a row.

If you can direct him into a med light combo in that price range and call it good.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why not 2 13 fishing rods. A ultra light and a medium light. There are plenty of cheaper rods that are great. One of my favorite rods is still a 36 inch frabil quick tip. I think it was 30 bucks and I use that for dead stick and jigging all the time. It’ll handle both crappies and walleye.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I would recommend a fusion from tuned up custom.. Great for small jigs for panfish and perch, yet stiff enough to handle up to an 1/8 oz spoon or a 3 rippin rap for walleyes. If he fishing outside a lot a longer rod would be better, but if he sits in a house I wouldnt get any longer than a 32. Most of my rods I had made from TUCR are 34″. Pair it up with an okuma ceymar 10 and it is golden.

Dave maze
    Isanti

A perch sweetheart and a clip on spring bobber.

Deuces

How old is the kid and does he have the skillset to utilize a custom?

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I would get him two maybe even three depending on what you get.
    Look at the Frabil line of rods like bearcat mentioned.I would think their Glass noodle and the QT.would cover panfish and then look for ML for walleyes.I think the JM meatstick is a decent rod for the money also.

mojogunter

I would agree with the others that said the thorne perch sweetheart. That is a good all purpose rod.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

What’s the action like on the TB? I have one of the old TUCR quick tips and curious if it’s fast like that

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What’s the action like on the TB? I have one of the old TUCR quick tips and curious if it’s fast like that

Perch sweet heart is a awesome crappie rod that can handle walleye without problems

Bluegill89

28” Thorne Brothers Perch Sweetheart with a Syncork handle and REC Outside Recoil Guides.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

From the Thorne Bro’s website:

Thorne Bro’s Perch Sweetheart
    Due to high demand, we at Thorne Bros. have developed a perfect rod for those jumbo perch. Featuring the same ultra-fast taper as the panfish and walleye sweet hearts with an action that falls between the two. However, don’t let the name fool you. This is one of our most popular walleye rods as its “sweet spot” is the 1/8 oz. Spoon. Also great for those heavier Tungsten jigs used when chasing down big Panfish. Our best selling blank. To put it simply; if you can only bring one rod for every species, you bring this one. Available in tons of different handle and guide options; and remember, if you don’t see exactly what you’re looking for you can always build your own Thorne Bros. Custom Rod!

Just picked mine up a few days ago. You can pick your length guides etc. Can’t wait to get on the ice to use it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

From the Thorne Bro’s website:

Thorne Bro’s Perch Sweetheart
    Due to high demand, we at Thorne Bros. have developed a perfect rod for those jumbo perch. Featuring the same ultra-fast taper as the panfish and walleye sweet hearts with an action that falls between the two. However, don’t let the name fool you. This is one of our most popular walleye rods as its “sweet spot” is the 1/8 oz. Spoon. Also great for those heavier Tungsten jigs used when chasing down big Panfish. Our best selling blank. To put it simply; if you can only bring one rod for every species, you bring this one. Available in tons of different handle and guide options; and remember, if you don’t see exactly what you’re looking for you can always build your own Thorne Bros. Custom Rod!

Just picked mine up a few days ago. You can pick your length guides etc. Can’t wait to get on the ice to use it.

This has been one of my favorite crappie walleye rods for many years

walleyevision

Thanks a million guys! I’m thinking I’ll head over to Thorne Bros this weekend to pick up a sweatheart. I’ll probably bring the boy so he can pick his preferred handle. Maybe I’ll get one for myself too???

walleyevision

PS – if you guys are looking for a great little spinning reel, the Piscifun Viper is an awesome reel, 11 bearings, carbon drag and about $35. Use the promo code: friday25 takes 25% off too.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

PS – if you guys are looking for a great little spinning reel, the Piscifun Viper is an awesome reel, 11 bearings, carbon drag and about $35. Use the promo code: friday25 takes 25% off too.

Been thinking of giving these a try. How is the 500 size on a light to medium light setup? I don’t like tiny reels and I don’t want it oversized either.

walleyevision

I only have the 1000 size. I did order a 500 today, so we’ll see.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If you want a custom made to order rod with his name on it PM me. I have fast action Panfish, Perch and walleye carbons. He can pick the handle and wrap colors and I will put his name on it for you.

Brian

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yes the Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart is truly a jack of all trades rod. Very versatile for all.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

2 $25 Beaver Dams, one ultra light or light and one medium. He’ll be set for years. 24-28 inch if in a shelter or house, 36 is fine for outside. IMHO

I would agree with this 100%. I have TUCR bullwhip and precision and the Beaver Dam rods are very nice for the money. He can use these to see if he likes the action and then down the road upgrade to nicer custom rods if he wants but performance wise (even if they last just a couple years) for the $$ is comparable. Plus you can get him two nicer reels for each that he can then use for down the road.

I will say though that I bought a “smokeshow” from Frostbite and they have a series that is affordable. I think I paid $55 for the smokeshow and that is an all round rod.

Good luck and glad your getting your son involved!

onepine
    Elk River

If I was to build a young person a rod it would be a ML perch/ walleye rod 32″ long. 36″ is a lot of rod to handle on the ice for a youngster. Shoot me a PM I will build him whatever he wants.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Careful with Beaver Dams, I ordered 3 last year for my kids and only one had guides lined up

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

JS Outfitters for a solid custom rod that doesn’t break the bank.

BackwaterICE

My 8 y/o fishes a custom rod I made him – 26″ L glass with a president

Keep them on fish to stay interested in the obsession – nice to see other dads taking their kids out!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.