Algoma WI

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

I just agreed to join a friend on a trip to Algoma WI, Sept 23rd till the 29th. He has gone here for years for the month of Oct. He does not own a boat and most always fishes the little river there for salmon. Reports have not been good, I suggested me taking my boat, he agreed that it would give us a better advantage to find something that would want our offerings.

I’m a walleye guy along with crappie and rainbows from Taneycomo. I know nothing of salmon and lakers. Can you guys and gals give me a crash course in the next 7 days on everything? My boat a Lund 1950 Tyee is more than large enough for Lake Michigan.

B-man

I’ve never fished there that late, but it will definitely be staging time.

Not sure how much of a run there is in Algoma, but typically you fish the area in front of the river (harbor patrol) late in the year. There could very well be fish out deep yet too.

Your best bet will to be touch base with a couple of the bait shops in town.

Your boat could be too small some days…..keep an eye on the weather and bring some spinning rods to fish the river if the lake is too rough.

As for gear, there is not a more gear intensive type of fishing than going after salmon. Most guys have 15-25+ rods in the boat (rigger rods, copper, lead core, wire, braid, etc)

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

White J plugs run flat 50′ behind the board has been working. run it 2.5-3 mph. A little orange pro king spon also good 100′ behind down rigger 7 and 10 down. Make sure your gear is sound. We’ve gotten a couple of 30 lb fish.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks you guys, I’m aware of waves and have been in some good sized ones like 5 1/2 footers @ LOW MN. and 5 footers @ Oahe, SD. My boat is just under 20′ and has a 260 hp 350ci V8 I/O Merc drive.

I do not have downriggers. I do have a couple of Offshore planer boards, one for each side. I have little experience with them. I have 3 Suffix lead core rods and 2 25# braid trolling rods all with sealine line counters #47 & #27’s. Most all of my spinning gear is 2500 series w/ braid 20 to 25 pound. My friends are the 4000 series with mono (I think) that he is adamant about for the local river marshmallow fishing that’s what he calls it anyway.

Capt Dan, when you say a downrigger 7 and 10 down, what are the numbers in relation to feet deep? If I understand, your “J” plugs are essentially running top water. 50′ behind a board running only as deep as it will go with 50′ of line out past the board?

I read the Lake link post last night, and about everything else I could find quickly. Most are fishing in 80′ and deeper. I’ve never fished past 35′.

Do I need to restring some of my reels?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Denny make sure you have all you Coast Gaurd equipment since you will be on Federal waters. The CG stops boats on a regular basis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.