After dark targeting Rainbows thru ice.

• purehd
    Newport mn

Hi guys..

Well with trout opener apoun us I was wondering if any you guys target stocked rainbows after dark thru ice in lakes?
    With getting off at 5pm during the week I really have no choice going out after dark.. Ive tryed many times on a local more difficult lake to catch them on with not much luck after the sunset..

Mainly wondering baits that work for after sunset to hook into a few..

Thank you

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve never done it specifically, but the bite always dies completely at sundown. I’d be surprised if you catch any after sunset.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve never caught one after dark in over 15 years but I guess I never stay because the bite window usually ends before dark. I think they stop moving around as much at night and basically go to sleep. You are better off targeting eyes and crappies…..they hunt well into the night.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I shore fished trout lakes around Ely when I was going to school up there. Bite always turned on after dark for rainbows. I never tried ice fishing for them after dark, but you won’t find out if you don’t try.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Fishing hours for stream trout on inland water lakes is 1 hour before sunrise to 11pm. I’ve never done well in the dark tho.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Brown trout are good biters in the dark. Brookies bite well into the dark too. Rainbows may do better after dark if its clear and you have a strong moon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.