Affordable Health Care coverage ( If there is such a thing ) Wisconsin resident.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My daughter needs to find some affordable health care coverage. She recently mover from Duluth to superior Wisc. so Minnesota Care is no longer a option I believe. I’m guessing Wisc. has something similar. Doing some research and its all rather confusing. I left the insurance thing to her and she ended up with some insurance that ended up being a scam and cost her several months of payments and did not end up paying any of here medical bills. Not good. Want to make sure she gets something real this time. If anyone know of where to start let me know.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I found something called Badgercare Plus. Does anyone here know anything about it?

CaptainMusky

How old is your daughter? If she is 25 or under she can stay on yours. I dont know anything about WI insurance.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

How old is your daughter? If she is 25 or under she can stay on yours. I dont know anything about WI insurance.

She is under 25 ( Just turned 21 ) My wife and I are covered by my wife’s employer. But since my daughter is not claimed by us on our tax’s and she was living on her own and moved to Wisconsin we had her get her own insurance. Right now the wife is checking with her HR dept to see if we can get her added back to her insurance policy. But since its not the open enrollment period we need to see if it qualifies as a life event to add mid term. Its also rather costly to add her to my wife’s current insurance. I keep hearing about how all these other people keep getting cheap insurance through Ucare, Minnesota Care, or obama care, what ever they call all these other low cost insurances. I though that was what she was getting but somehow she ended up getting what she thought was Minnesota care and it ended up being some type of a scam.

CaptainMusky

Bummer man! I would think the cheapest way to go would be under you, but not sure what WI is like.

B-man

Badgercare is legit, my wife helped to set up several family/friends with it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Badgercare is legit, my wife helped to set up several family/friends with it.

Good to know. Going to have her fill out the application to see if she qualifies and to see what the cost is.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Right now the wife is checking with her HR dept to see if we can get her added back to her insurance policy. But since its not the open enrollment period we need to see if it qualifies as a life event to add mid term.

My experience with this is that a birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, or death are qualifying life events to change health insurance out of the open enrollment season.

CaptainMusky

You can also change if there has been an employment change for covered parties. So if she switched jobs lost a job and is no longer covered it should work.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Affordable health insurance doesn’t exist anymore, the Affordable Care Act killed any affordable options. I was a client, as well as sold it when the transition happened.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<My experience with this is that a birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, or death are qualifying life events to change health insurance out of the open enrollment season.

Ya none of those apply

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You can also change if there has been an employment change for covered parties. So if she switched jobs lost a job and is no longer covered it should work.

Sadly this doesnt apply either.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Affordable health insurance doesn’t exist anymore, the Affordable Care Act killed any affordable options. I was a client, as well as sold it when the transition happened.

Ya sadly health care cost is a big problem these days. This had also lead to a problem with Healthcare coverage Cost. Not sure how many saw that the debt Fairness act was signed by Waltz and goes into effect on Oct. 1st. I’m not totally sure how I feel about this act. It now makes its so that:

Past Due medical bills can no longer be reported to credit Bureau’s and has 0 effect on Credit ratings.

A spouse is no longer liable for their spouse’s medical expenses.

A medical provider can no longer withhold medical care for those with past unpaid medical expenses.

I see this causing many from from even bothering to find and pay for medical insurance and many simply not even bothering to try and pay for medical care. In turn this will just allow medical care to now just charge even more for medical care for those who have medical insurance to cover for those who don’t. This once again just causes those who are working and paying for their medical coverage to just have to pay for those who can’t or in some cases just won’t work. I just don’t see how this will end up well in the end. Its going to get to a point when those working and paying for those who are not will simply give it and stop working as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Every state has to have a state helthcare exchange or they have to utilize the Federal exchange.

Wisconsin has its own exchange, it’s called WisCovered. Details here:

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/getcovered/index.htm

They offer assistance to find insurance and I’d think they’d also be a good source of info about any state/fed tax credits or other programs to lower the cost.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Affordable health insurance doesn’t exist anymore, the Affordable Care Act killed any affordable options

Agreed. It spreads the healthcare costs out to everyone instead of to the people who use more of it.

I personally think you should pay more if you need more. Just like most other necessities in life. No offense to people who are sick or have cancer, but healthy people should not be paying for your healthcare, and that’s exactly what that bill did. Families of 5 or 6 pay nearly the same premiums that a family of 3 or 4 does too, which I also disagree with. Premiums should go up evenly every time you add someone to the plan.

If you can’t afford healthcare in India, they throw you in the Ganges River. jester

Ice Cap

Go see your insurance agent. That’s what they do. I went to mine to weed through all the Medicare stuff shortly before I became eligible. He set me up with a couple supplements that cover everything. At a good cost. Lots of stuff out there go to someone who knows instead of trying to weed through it yourself.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

well got some good news. My wife was able to add her to her work insurance as a life event because of the loss of her other insurance and her moving to Wisc. For now this seems like the best option.

MX1825

Good to hear it worked out ft.
    Also the info Ice Cap gave you is solid. See an independent insurance agent. There will be options with price points, coverage, and deductibles.
    Insurance devil

FinnyDinDin

Good to hear it worked out ft.
    Also the info Ice Cap gave you is solid. See an independent insurance agent. There will be options with price points, coverage, and deductibles.
    Insurance devil

Almost all independent agents got out of individual health insurance when Obamacare came through. There was no money to be made so agents bailed. Vast majority of health agents only offer group plans. This leaves the consumer the only option to purchase direct from the government which is a nightmare. No surprise there, the government doesn’t do anything better than the private sector does.

I think Obamacare had good intentions but it has been bad for the general consumer. I think you will see the fairness act walz just signed is going to do the same and just drive health care coverage up for everyone.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.