Adding an axle to boat trailer

• isu22andy

Check lake of the ozzarks Missouri . Not many walleye boats down there but Lots of rich people buy places down there , put the boat on a lift and never take it off . Trailer just sitting around . Good luck .

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Something seems off with your trailer. Lotta guys running your same setup without these issues. Have you had the boat back into the dealer to look at it?

Those batteries don’t add a ton of weight if you just swapped to larger. A kicker weighs about a hundred pounds. Guys put heavier coolers in their boats and roll down the road.

Does the boat sit on the trailer correctly? With the kicker off the back maybe you need to get that weight forward on the trailer? Are you contacting all the rollers correctly so the weight is distributed?

I’m assuming you looked at all the possible issues but having to add an axle for a boat that’s not that heavy seems crazy.

dirtywater

Something seems off with your trailer. Lotta guys running your same setup without these issues. Have you had the boat back into the dealer to look at it?

Those batteries don’t add a ton of weight if you just swapped to larger. A kicker weighs about a hundred pounds. Guys put heavier coolers in their boats and roll down the road.

Does the boat sit on the trailer correctly? With the kicker off the back maybe you need to get that weight forward on the trailer? Are you contacting all the rollers correctly so the weight is distributed?

I’m assuming you looked at all the possible issues but having to add an axle for a boat that’s not that heavy seems crazy.

Agree something sounds weird here.

One other thought: Since used trailers are not easy to come by, I theory you could get a decent price for your current trailer— much more than the $1200 trade-in offer. I always sell private party if possible and then take that cash and put it toward a new trailer.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

3500# axle and springs doesnt take too long to get over weight…

Boat-1,780 lbs.
    Kicker-120 lbs.
    Main-510 lbs.
    4 AGMS-272 lbs.
    Full tank-245 lbs.
    Terrova-72 lbs.

All of that not counting the trailer is 2,999 lbs and I have way too much crap I put into the boat for trips. Literally everything is stuffed to the gills.

The 185 is offered in a single and dual axle, but the 195 which only weighs 25 lb more at 1805 lbs is only offered in a dual axle.

Boat appears to sit on the trailer correctly. It is a bunk trailer and everything aligns. No trip back to the dealer, as it is 500 miles away where we purchased the boat.

Certainly open to options though. I took the boat to the place that said they could add the axle, and I do trust them and their work. They build and customize trailers/motorcoaches. They are the ones who stated the trailer was severly overloaded and it was evident by looking at the suspension, so I trust their opinion. Now, is there a way to address this without adding the axle I do not know. I went in asking about adding the axle, which they said they could easily do. Is there a better option like the torsion?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Your missing a big opportunity at getting that other trailer for 500 and taking the fenders and axels, have some one fabricate the axel on, use the fenders and have a spare axel

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Your missing a big opportunity at getting that other trailer for 500 and taking the fenders and axels, have some one fabricate the axel on, use the fenders and have a spare axel

I guess I am missing your point here. Take the axle and fenders and do what with them? Put them on my existing trailer?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I guess I am missing your point here. Take the axle and fenders and do what with them? Put them on my existing trailer?

Yup

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

3500# axle and springs doesnt take too long to get over weight…

Boat-1,780 lbs.
    Kicker-120 lbs.
    Main-510 lbs.
    4 AGMS-272 lbs.
    Full tank-245 lbs.
    Terrova-72 lbs.

All of that not counting the trailer is 2,999 lbs and I have way too much crap I put into the boat for trips. Literally everything is stuffed to the gills.

The 185 is offered in a single and dual axle, but the 195 which only weighs 25 lb more at 1805 lbs is only offered in a dual axle.

Boat appears to sit on the trailer correctly. It is a bunk trailer and everything aligns. No trip back to the dealer, as it is 500 miles away where we purchased the boat.

Certainly open to options though. I took the boat to the place that said they could add the axle, and I do trust them and their work. They build and customize trailers/motorcoaches. They are the ones who stated the trailer was severly overloaded and it was evident by looking at the suspension, so I trust their opinion. Now, is there a way to address this without adding the axle I do not know. I went in asking about adding the axle, which they said they could easily do. Is there a better option like the torsion?

I think over 19’ in MN you have to have a dual axle. My ranger was the same…single or dual since it’s 18’9”.

I was thinking it was a roller trailer and maybe the boat was a bit off kilter. Since it’s bunks there isn’t much to adjust.

Good luck getting to a workable solution. Sounds you have 2 decent ones..the trailer mentioned above or add the axle. Personally, I’d have an axle added it the shop is reputable like you mentioned.

Karry Kyllo

I think over 19’ in MN you have to have a dual axle. My ranger was the same…single or dual since it’s 18’9”.
    [/quote]

If that’s the case I’ve been illegal since I bought my 20’6″ Lund new in 2011. I have a single axle trailer and have never had an issue. A Trophy 185 would be fine with the right single axle trailer.

catnip
    south metro

It depends on how your current axle is mounted. If it’s an adjustable axle meaning you can slide it forward and back it is a fairly easy modification to add a second axle. However if the shackle mounts are welded to the frame those would need to get cut off then it’s still not hard. Just build a double slider mount. 2 pieces of angle iron weld the shackle mounts to them to mount the springs and weld up some fender mounts then attach with 3 u bolts per side then add axles and wheels.

Musky Ed

You’ve been given reasonable advice, but it seems you don’t really want to hear it, but instead are hoping someone will agree with what you want to do. It’s really simple. The trailer will handle the load it was designed for, and with the kicker also.
    Just quit putting in your boat, as you call it, way too much crap for boat trips/literally everything is stuffed to the gills.
    You have been given the correct advice on this thread, you just don’t want to accept it.
    Your only other options as stated before would be
    – buy a correct trailer
    – modify your trailer correctly/ not as easy as you think
    – don’t bring so much poop
    – buy a different boat with the correct trailer
    – or get a different tow vehicle with enough room to put your stuff in without putting it in your boat
    If all of those choices don’t work for you, then maybe you shouldn’t be going on such a trip with what you have.
    You’re not the first person to have tried to save a buck and buy a single axel trailer, many do, then realize a tandem was what was really needed. But there are solutions to your problems, and honestly modifying your trailer would be my last choice if it were mine.

MX1825

I’ve never priced out just a trailer but almost 9k seems like alot for a standard bunk trailer. Did you get more than 1 new trailer quote?

Jason

Almost every trailer that I see along the road getting worked on is a single axle trailer. I just shake my head and remind myself why I have tandem torsion setups on my trailers. Just because a trailer might be rated for 3500lbs doesn’t mean it’s going to preform well at its max capacity.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think over 19’ in MN you have to have a dual axle.

BIL has a 21′ MasterCraft on a single-axle. He doesn’t tow it too much, but it came from the factory like that, so I can’t imagine it’s not legal.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I’ve never priced out just a trailer but almost 9k seems like alot for a standard bunk trailer. Did you get more than 1 new trailer quote?

That was through where we got the boat and for a Shorelandr trailer. The funny thing is that Shorelandr is an hour away from me…but can’t order direct. I did call Trailmaster too and they’ve got ones that will fit for ~7,500 but they’re 600 miles away.

Musky Ed

Venture makes a tandem axel trailer your size for $4500. If you were to sell yours, your into a new trailer for less than upgrading yours.
    Took all of 30 secconds to find it online.

isu22andy

All the good walleyes are in Manawa anyway ! And the blue cat bites on right now in the zzouri ! mrgreen

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Venture makes a tandem axel trailer your size for $4500. If you were to sell yours, your into a new trailer for less than upgrading yours.
    Took all of 30 secconds to find it online.

Link? Also, not driving to Connecticut.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

All the good walleyes are in Manawa anyway ! And the blue cat bites on right now in the zzouri ! mrgreen

Believe it or not my first 30″ walleye came from Manawa. Skinny as a rail, though. There are some toads in there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tandem axle is not required. Generally a boat that is 19-20 feet or more does come with a tandem axle trailer nowadays. If your trailer is over 3,000 pounds you need annual trailer registration and brakes. Found this on the MN Courts Website:

Registering your trailer depends on weight:
    Under 3,000 lbs―Requires a permanent registration decal that fits on the tongue of the trailer.

Trailers with ratings larger than 3,000 lbs require plates and must be renewed annually. Fees are based on weight.

Musky Ed

I just looked it back up. It’s weight rating wasn’t much better than your single as it was an aluminum trailer.
    What about that link dhpricco gave from a dealer in Minn? I would at least call them, prices dont look bad, he might be able to come up with a solution for you.

Viewing 22 posts - 31 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.