A warm fuzzy boat pulling moment

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was bringing the Solera home from the Boat Farm yesterday to get ready for this weekend. Just past Diamond Bluff I noticed a white car behind me while heading down the hill. I figured I would pull over a bit when the next safe place for him to pass comes up.

I’m going 50-55 mph which is the speed limit for most of that stretch but I know if it was me back there, I would want to get around this “boat”. Car coming, not safe to pass, double yellow lines for over 5 miles… crap!

Actually there was one very short area I could have pulled over but there was a bicyclist well into the lane. Now I’m a little worried the guy behind me could be one of those guys that says the ‘ell with it and pass in an area where he’s blind to on coming traffic and at best, I’ll witness a head on or at worst…I’ll be involved in an accident!

Finally a safe and legal place to pass opens up and I put on my right turn signal, start slowing and pulling on to the tarred shoulder. He passes me and I move back into the my lane.

Then he puts his hand out the window and waves! I actually cracked a smile.

Sometimes it’s just the little things that make a guys day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s what I was expecting!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s what I was expecting!

He’s a self-professed wrestler Brian. That one finger wave is a tool of the wrestling trade that I’ve heard is quite effective at making the opponents lose their concentration when said finger applies pressure in the appropriate location. A wave from him isn’t in jest or anger…he’s just letting you know that he knows how to control you.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Might have been a proctologist just out advertising his trade.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He should have been flagged for faceguarding.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Good for you… and good for the other guy. I also remember growing up and pulling off to the shoulder for people especially while pheasant hunting…but I think that art has been lost somewhere and entitlement has taken over.

You remember the good ‘ol days when you waved to almost every vehicle you passed out in the country?

Why did you stop waving? I still do it if I’m in familiar small-town territory.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Probably makes his arm sore after a while

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    Then he puts his hand out the window and waves!

I would have waved…with one finger. )

If I knew it was BK, absolutely.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

GOOD DEAL.

Since moving further out been slowly waving to anyone out towards the house. some days get more waves back than others.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You remember the good ‘ol days when you waved to almost every vehicle you passed out in the country?

It’s funny now that I think about it. Heading South on WI 35 I seldom think about waving, but once turned off of 35 on a country road, I’m waving all the time.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Actually Brian, I think what you experienced was the “Skeeter Effect”. Usually starts with friendly gestures, followed by stares from attractive women, typically ending with fellow anglers surrounding you while you try to fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Skeeter Effect

So that’s what Dean was telling me about!

Curt Wuensch

I’ll totally agree with the ” Skeeter Effect “…I deal with it all the time !! ( Plus, I smell like smoked sausage!)

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Maybe I’m missing the point but personally have no need for speeders. If I’m doing the speed limit and your on my ars I’m more apt to slow down even more. Side roads typically are curvy and skinny, nothing PO me more than a D-bag going 65 around a corner partially in the other lane. It’s dangerous going any faster. As said, it’s the country, slow down and enjoy the views(especially down there) while arriving in one piece. toast

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nick, I wasn’t sure of his intent. I did not want him to try to pass me in an area where there could be an on coming vehicle that he couldn’t see. That made me nervous. I felt it best to get him well away from me.

Whether he was speeding or not, I do not know.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If there had been a can of spam on the side of the road, you would have made a place to pull over jester

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You know me so well Randy!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Maybe I’m missing the point but personally have no need for speeders. If I’m doing the speed limit and your on my ars I’m more apt to slow down even more. Side roads typically are curvy and skinny, nothing PO me more than a D-bag going 65 around a corner partially in the other lane. It’s dangerous going any faster. As said, it’s the country, slow down and enjoy the views(especially down there) while arriving in one piece. toast

Protip, get out of the way if someone wants to drive faster. Deliberately driving slower can and will likely lead to road rage, which is in direct conflict with your intent to ‘arrive safe’.

Speed limits are not equal to max safe driving speeds. See: Just south of St. Paul on 35E.

God help you if you’re also applying your thinking to driving in the left lane on the highway!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Let’s not try to compare a 2 lane one way freeways with shoulders to back country roads Phil…..

Left lane is for fast drivers absolutely. But too many times have I seen a$$hats tailgating grandma and grandpa on 2 lane country roads obviously making them nervous. If you drive fast good for you, but don’t do it dangerously and in no way should anyone have to accommodate to your recklousness. If theres a left lane use it, if not take a chill pill, swallow your macho pride and maybe leave sooner

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.