A Smitty Sled Without the Smitty Sled

• B-man

Saw this idea brought up in the lightweight 2-man thread.

This is kick ass!! Might have to put a set on my one man. They use coffee table hinges. Absolutely brilliant

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Cool, but why the hinges?
    Is that additional 6″ height an issue? Why not just build it at the set up height and eliminate a mechanical hinge?

shockers
    Rochester

That’s cool! If you come across a more detailed schematic/plan, please share.

iTinker

Saw this idea brought up in the lightweight 2-man thread.

This is kick ass!! Might have to put a set on my one man. They use coffee table hinges. Absolutely brilliant

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Pop Up skis for ice hut/shanty smitty sled” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Eg2Qsk4PNz4?feature=oembed&#8221; allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=”” width=”850″ height=”638″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></div>

They are pretty awesome, just make sure of a few things.

1. Get 4 and make sure they’re rated to at least 200lbs a pair.
    2. Get the spring version, and not the gas cylinder version. Gas cylinders freeze up.
    3. Bend the spring ends so they don’t unhook.

Tight lines guys!

Attachments:
    1. smitty-v2.jpg

Cool, but the extra weight for loading and space required for hauling the combined getup around isn’t concerning?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I looked at doing that system but was afraid that the hinges would freeze up and I would not be able to lower or raise the sled.

munchy
    NULL

I looked at doing that system but was afraid that the hinges would freeze up and I would not be able to lower or raise the sled.

Spray silicone should prevent that. A couple squirts a season should be plenty to keep water out. Unless you’re going through slush….

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Is that additional 6″ height an issue? Why not just build it at the set up height and eliminate a mechanical hinge?

From what I surmise, for folks to be able to fit the whole business in their pickup bed with the tonneau cover closed. The ski hinges would allow you to fold them under and slide into your pickup bed.

At the lake, pull it out and engage the skis and hookup the dog sled team. smile

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Have seen on quite a few ice fishing forums people talking about the barrel in the hinges popping out. Not sure if it is freezing or if the repetitive bouncing over the ice is causing failure. They are not designed for that after all. However, It won’t be long until one of the big ice hitters puts something out as a designated product. Genius.

CaptainMusky

I really like this idea. I went down my own path with a smitty idea and its not going to work, but I may try this route.

munchy
    NULL

However, It won’t be long until one of the big ice hitters puts something out as a designated product. Genius.

Chances are they will just purchase the same ones from the same Chinese manufacturer and rebrand them. Making them $100 instead. See it all the time.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Browndog wrote:</div>
    However, It won’t be long until one of the big ice hitters puts something out as a designated product. Genius.

Chances are they will just purchase the same ones from the same Chinese manufacturer and rebrand them. Making them $100 instead. See it all the time.

Painted royal blue?

iTinker

Have seen on quite a few ice fishing forums people talking about the barrel in the hinges popping out. Not sure if it is freezing or if the repetitive bouncing over the ice is causing failure. They are not designed for that after all. However, It won’t be long until one of the big ice hitters puts something out as a designated product. Genius.

If you get hinges rated high enough, it’s not an issue–typical Amazon deal. Just don’t try to pull it behind a snowmobile thinking it’ll take the pounding.

B-man

Because your shack and skirt would be up in the air.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Someone told me they had put the skies right on the bottom of the tents plastic tub.

Does this work?????

TipUpFishOn

Someone told me they had put the skies right on the bottom of the tents plastic tub.

Does this work?????

I mounted skis up through 1x2s directly to a jet sled. Used bolts at length that barely stick up into the sled. Countersunk the heads into the skis. Should work for the plastic sleds on flipovers.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Does this work?????

I think the goal of this Smitty sled hybrid is to get the sled above deep snow so your not plowing through the snow but rather skiing your sled over the top.

It seems if you mounted the ski’s directly to the sled bottom, you’d still be plowing snow with the front of the sled.

I’m guessing this application for people dragging them out on foot.

trophybucs

Great idea! Got a couple pair of old cross country skis that never get used. Now I have a new project to make use of them!

Coletrain27

Here’s mine. I have cross country skis on the bottom of my flip over also. I’m gonna add a 2×4 spacer under the sled to get them off the ground just a little more

Attachments:
    1. 0DEE8E09-BF3B-45D5-92F5-9261F8C38D2A.jpeg

Coletrain27

I got the cc skis at goodwill for $10 and cut them to length

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.