A better Hook??

• Shawn U

I’m looking at getting some new jigging baits like the puppet minnow or jigging rap. I’m looking to get some opinions about the factory hooks used and if one is better than the other. I know some people just replace them with something else and would have to be considered in the over all cost.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On any jigging lure I like a treble and will replace a single hook with one. Many of the lures today come with trebles but they seem to be so small or the wire in the hooks so whimpy looking. Rapalas’ hooks bend very easily and are tiny for the jig size so I swap them out for the next size larger treble using Mustad hooks. The smallest jigging raps I leave as is.

One does have to be careful with what he’s using as a replacement hook though. Too large in size or too heavy of wire in the hook and balance gets all skewed and things will not work well.

Shawn U

Tom
    Messing with the action has always been my concern in changing hooks. That is why I would like to find something that I don’t have to change them out. Although if someone has a tried and true setup I would consider that.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I replace the hooks often because I am looking for a better quality hooks or the old ones gets dull and sharpening them is no longer possible. My preference are Owner hooks and Gamakatsu hooks. Typically on small lures I go with size 12 treble. Most lures I like using size 10 treble. A lot of times, one just have to try to match the hook sizes that the original comes with.

Not everything needs a treble. There are some jigging spoons that I will put a single hook on. Typically I use size 2, 4, or 6 hooks.

iTinker

In my experience, 2 best trebles to swap: Gamakatsu round bend, or Owner super needle point. Both are super sticky and strong. I also bend mine out slightly.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tom
    Although if someone has a tried and true setup I would consider that.

The Mustad bronze #35647 trebles are light wire hooks. I keep sizes 14, 12, and 10 handy all the time for other endeavors but they do an amazing job on smaller jigging raps and other small jigging lure. They’re lighter than the Gammis, Owners and VMCs and a size up doesn’t influence action at all.

Shawn U

Thanks Tom I will look into that

papaperch

I do not like trebles at all. I usually cut off the hooks on the ends on the jigging rap. Replace treble hook with a double hook.

No effect on action what so ever. And those end hooks can’t snag the edge of the ice hole if they aren’t there.. In over 50 years of using have never caught a fish on the end hooks.

I also up a size on the belly hook. If it comes with # 10 treble I replace with # 8 double. Double hooks are made by mustad.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I do not like trebles at all. I usually cut off the hooks on the ends on the jigging rap. Replace treble hook with a double hook.

No effect on action what so ever. And those end hooks can’t snag the edge of the ice hole if they aren’t there.. In over 50 years of using have never caught a fish on the end hooks.

Come to think of it, I don’t recall the end hooks catching anything either. Fish wise. They snag everything else though! I might have to try that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.