9/11

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Watched a piece on it just day ago. Man what those New York first responders went through that day was beyond comprehension. Lets never forget those souls and the terror of that day. For anyone involved or lost loved ones that day my thoughts and prayers are with you.

CaptainMusky

Sad day for sure! So many lost and so many permanently damaged by the fallout as well. It was a scary day for me. New dad and it was my son’s first day of daycare. I was an absolute mess wondering if we were going to be under attack or what was going to happen. We stood in the cafeteria at work and watched it on the tv. Everyone was in shock.

Jimmy Jones

I had that morning off work and watched the whole thing unfold. What a horrid day in America’s history all because of one man’s fanaticism.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I saw 60 Minutes on Sunday evening and the whole episode was about the firefighters that day. 343 of them died from that event trying to save people, many of them knowing they would probably die along the way. They never questioned orders from the batallion chief either. applause

Many of their kids are are now firefighters in FDNY, as the positions are often passed down from one generation to another.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Even to this day 23 years later, heartfelt condolences to the families who lost loved ones that day.

I don’t think it can be overstated how much that day changed the world in a major way. Two major wars in the Middle East as a result. The intelligence community and its sources and methods changed forever. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Americans, Afghans, and Iraqis killed, injured, or property damaged. The PATRIOT Act became a part of America. You used to be able to breeze through security and bring as big of a toothpaste tube as you want, now we 3-1-1, take our shoes off, and put our hands in the air for a body scan.

The Middle East continued to grow into a hot bed of terrorism and training for those, the war front became a blur as countries and cities across the world became targets and homegrown threats changed our lives. Millions of Americans joined the military in service of their country. Critical infrastructure protection and private security grew exponentially.

I had always wanted to join the army, even prior to 9/11. After high school the only jobs I’ve had have been the army and private security dealing with critical infrastructure, and sometimes I wonder how my life would’ve been had the events of 9/11 not happened.

The NYPD, NYFD, and others that rushed into dangerous and hazardous conditions to locate survivors and begin the clean up are absolutely heroic.

The patriotism shown by our country immediately after these events and for several years that followed was a great thing to be a part of. And whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, or neither, it’s highly likely we could all learn to live with our differences better, show some tolerance, and return to those times.

Gitchi Gummi

The patriotism shown by our country immediately after these events and for several years that followed was a great thing to be a part of. And whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, or neither, it’s highly likely we could all learn to live with our differences better, show some tolerance, and return to those times.

Amen! It was incredible to see the way Americans united and came together. The Patriotism in our country was at an all time high. It’d be great if we could get back to that someday but sadly it will likely take another tragedy to do so. We’re more divided now than ever in my life.

I visited the WTC 9-11 memorial for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was a really powerful experience. Hard to put into words the feels you get from being there in person. Seeing each persons name and wondering about each individual story makes it that much more real.

Attachments:
    1. WTC-memorial.jpg

2. new-WTC.jpg

orve4

I remembering walking by a TV on my way to Breakfast and at that time they were unsure of what happened. Grabbed breakfast and went to 10th grade PE. When we walked out of PE at around 1000 the whole school was watching TV with many of the crying. It felt like we were walking into a different world.

The unknown after that event is something I will never forget. The patriotism that came from this was inspiring. Also how we came together as a country and cared for our neigh boor is something I wished we could get back to.

This was part of the reason I became an EMT and continued on to school for nursing. I wonder How many lifes were shaped by this event from enlisting in the military or joining EMS services.

CaptainMusky

I sure wish we could all unite again like after 9/11, but hopefully its not because of something like this.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I visited the WTC 9-11 memorial for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was really powerful experience. Hard to put into words the feels you get from being there in person. Seeing each persons name and wondering about each individual story makes it that much more real.

That would be something I would love to visit. I bet it was emotional standing there taking that in.

shefland
    Walker

yep 343 Firefighters. As a retired mpls FF, think about it the whole dept in Mpls is 410 or so, it would be like nearly losing the whole force, sad day for all. I was on Lake Bemidji fishing that day, heard a brief report, thinking it was a general aviation plane that hit the towers, didn’t know the details till I got home

Deuces

Never Forget

B-man

Never Forget

Amen

Every year there seems to be less and less mentioned about it (which is “normal,” since time heals), but I make a point every 9/11 to have a talk with the boys and watch some short videos with them.

An attack on American soil is something that every American should remember, even if they weren’t here when it happened.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240911-113103.png

Ripjiggen

My 3rd grade son said they read a book about it in class yesterday. He came home and told me what happened on 9/11.
    Not going to lie it got me a little choked up talking to him about it as he just couldn’t understand why someone would do that.
    I appreciate the school acknowledging a horrific day.

orve4

The summer of My Sophomore into Junior year I lived in Russia as an exchange student summer of 2002. I lived in the part by Mongolia. On my return home to Minnesota we had a delay and chose to go explore the city. We took time to go down to the Trade center buildings or what was left of them. They were still hauling out the debris and there was still things hanging up and memorials to the people who had lost their lives their. Since this event at 16 years old I have always appreciated this country and the men and women who serve this country in the many forms.

God Bless America

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My 3rd grade son said they read a book about it in class yesterday. He came home and told me what happened on 9/11.
    Not going to lie it got me a little choked up talking to him about it as he just couldn’t understand why someone would do that.

Reading this gives me a little hope that schools are still teaching important things.

big_g
    Isle, MN

As a nation, we were never stronger, than we were on 9/12/2001

Gitchi Gummi

As a nation, we were never stronger, than we were on 9/12/2001

watching President Bush throw out this first pitch still gives me chills.

this comment really shows how everyone put aside their differences and came together as one.

“I didn’t vote for him, but at that point, my personal feelings about him as a politician is gone.”

CaptainMusky

RIght, the video of when he was reading to those kids in Florida and he was told what happened. THe look of horror on his face, but he kept his composure to not scare the kids. I gained a lot of respect for him right then and there with how he handled everything.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I see Long Prairie has their ladder fire truck out with some gear in a salute to 911

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I see Long Prairie has their ladder fire truck out with some gear in a salute to 911

So did Ham Lake. Awesome to see.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Reading this gives me a little hope that schools are still teaching important things.

I thought the same thing. It is a public school as well. Very small one that almost feels private but I was impressed that they discussed it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We were in Yellowstone National Park that morning. I have a photo of the sun rising over Lake Yellowstone that is time stamped at the exact minute the first jet hit the tower.

We drove all the way across Wyoming that day listening to nothing but cds. We had no idea anything had happened until we pulled in to Rawlins Wyoming to fill up gas in the early afternoon.

I knew something was wrong because there was just panic in people’s eyes. I could tell just the way people moved that something terrible had happened. There was a crowd in the gas station just standing there staring at the tv.

We had two friends from the UK with us in yellowstone. They flew home the first day that MSP reopened. It was absolutely eerie. The airport was empty except for perhaps a few people here and a few people there.

My kids have also studied it in school and talked about it. To them of course it seems very distant. I told them that every generation has one or two of these defining moments where everybody remembers where they were. I hope that the moment that their generation remembers is not one of such horrific tragedy but I’m also proud of the way the country came together in a way I’d never seen.

Dan
    Southeast MN

When President Bush addressed Congress shortly after 9/11 he said something that I’ve always felt is one of the best quotes in our nation’s history.

“To our military I say be ready. America will soon act. And you will make us proud. ”

As a high school junior I had already planned on enlisting in the army anyway and after hearing that I probably would’ve run through a brick wall for this country.

Ripjiggen

Still hard to believe it’s been 23 years. Watching some of the documentaries now can you imagine what the videos would be like now with everyone having a camera in their pocket.
    Still hard to believe that it happened.

Michael Best

I remember that day like it was yesterday.
    At the time I was in Effingham Illinois building a power plant. Everyone at work started talking about the planes hitting the twin towers. After the plane hit the pentagon the Project Manager called an all employee meeting and cleared the job site of all employees after the meeting. He didn’t want anyone at work in case there was more to come.
    The gas lines were insanely long that day. Everyone started to panic and wanted their gas tanks full.

My roommate at the time was a Vietnam vet. He sat in his recliner all night watching the news and drinking beer.
    Every time the news would show a picture of Bin Laden he would point his deer rifle at the tv and say “I will kill you”.

CaptainMusky

When President Bush addressed Congress shortly after 9/11 he said something that I’ve always felt is one of the best quotes in our nation’s history.

“To our military I say be ready. America will soon act. And you will make us proud. ”

As a high school junior I had already planned on enlisting in the army anyway and after hearing that I probably would’ve run through a brick wall for this country.

The other one was where he said “you will hear from all of us soon” referring to the terrorists.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was a freshman in college at Southwest State and heard the news walking to class, thinking it was a Cessna or some small plane. Got to class in time to see the second building hit. Had a professor later that day that tried to explain why something like this could happen from a middle eastern perspective and thought there might be a teacher student fight in class. Strongly considered enlisting after 9/11, and still kind of regret not enlisting.

One funny thing in retrospect, was a lot of locals were worried Marshall, MN might be on the list of places to attack because Schwan’s was there….

CaptainMusky

One funny thing in retrospect, was a lot of locals were worried Marshall, MN might be on the list of places to attack because Schwan’s was there….

Im sure it would be high on the list.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Im sure it would be high on the list.

Yeah somewhere between Austin’s SPAM factory and the ball of twine. rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.