87 Non Oxy

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So the etec thread got me thinking about this. After having engine issues and Sheldon fixing them. It was not the problem but he suggested I run 87 octane as that is what my Opti was meant to run on and they don’t like the extra octane. So for now I am mixing 91 octane and regular 87. Doable but kind of a pain, does anyone know of a gas station in the north metro or anywhere not to far that has it. I have tried google searches and nothing seems to work they all just have 91 after investigating. The only other way to get it is order a 55 gallon drum and have it somewhere, which I thought about plenty just don’t have anywhere safe to store it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My understanding is that per state law all non-ethanol gasoline has to be 91 octane in MN. I think WI sells ethanol free 87 octane though, so Hudson would be your best bet.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My understanding is that per state law all non-ethanol gasoline has to be 91 octane in MN. I think WI sells ethanol free 87 octane though, so Hudson would be your best bet.

Interesting I wonder why a law would be needed.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I found this under the MN Statutes.

b) The nonoxygenated gasoline must be unleaded premium grade as defined in section 239.751, subdivision 4.

They define premium grade as 91 octane or higher, per this statute.

Subd. 4.Use of term “premium.” The term “premium” may be used only to advertise, or to identify a dispenser used to dispense, gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or greater.

As to why this is, I have no idea.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run non-ethanol 87 or 89 when I can find it (which is becoming more and more difficult in recent years). If I have to choose between running 91 non-ethanol or 87 with ethanol, it’s 91 every time.

This goes for the 115 Opti on my fishing boat or the 150 4 stroke Mercury on the tritoon.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That list doesn’t indicate anything about 87 octane. It only says ethanol free and then shows the locations. I’d bet every location is 91 octane.

Plus its also 6 years old.

Alex Fox

I stopped at the Casey’s in Ogilvie last weekend and I could swear their pump said 87 non oxy. I thought it strange at the time and wondered if it was a typo or a scam. Now I’m wondering.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The gas station in Farmington is on that list and has 87 non.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I stopped at the Casey’s in Ogilvie last weekend and I could swear their pump said 87 non oxy. I thought it strange at the time and wondered if it was a typo or a scam. Now I’m wondering.

Ok, that one I might be able to hit on the way to some stuff. I will check it out thanks.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I checked the list Rodwork and will do a drive by a couple to see if its 87 or 91.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.