80's Bar Scene

• Beast

The Country Dam, best place by a dam site.
    The Tac Lo Ban.
    Ducks’
    Straight 8

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

How about:

Kellys Pub
    Hideaway
    Sunset Bar
    Grandma B’s

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I now remember the name of the bar that sold the Big Snort – it was the Market Street BBQ. Those were a yummy but powerful Drink

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Mauer Bros. and Kermies in Elba for the spring stream trout openers were always a great time. They came to life again in the fall for football and deer seasons. I knew every gravel road to Rochester coming home from Elba.

big_g
    Isle, MN

In city = Archies, Boneshaker, Mainstreets, Iron Horse

Back home = River Roost, Side Bar, Rainbow Bar, Ted’s, TC’s, Valley Inn

gonefishin

How about in the 70’s?
    The night I graduated from HS, at 21:01 AM we were then legal at 18. The look on the faces of the regulars when a bunch of us walked in the bar. So a pretty fun night except in walking from graduation party to graduation party stepped into an open sewage behind someone’s house and had to take a shower break.
    Anyone been to Archie’s in Morristown?
    Al’s, Arrow, Crest, Shamrock in Faribault?
    For cities 1st Ave disco was rocking!!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

1st ave was never Disco, Uncle Sam’s was. I believe they changed names in the early 80’s. But quite the rockin place

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Hudson area:

Sandbar
    Sports Club
    Dibbos
    Mr. T’s
    CC’s
    Marvs Bar
    Village Inn

and a bunch more…..

big_g
    Isle, MN

Forgot Steve O’s….(also in Crystal) 3 for 1’s Friday morning’s at 8am !!!

Cody Meyers

I wish Lees Liquor Lounge was still open.
    Spent lots of time at The Cabooze and The Turf Club in St Paul.

Not in the 80s though.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

1st ave was never Disco, Uncle Sam’s was. I believe they changed names in the early 80’s. But quite the rockin place

correct. Moby Dicks was a rough one downtown. What was the name of the bar on 7th that eventually became Champs? Its driving me nuts! I damn near lived there.

Hogsbreath on Rice and then Flameburger after closing.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The Concourse!

That’s a load off.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

In city = Archies, Boneshaker, Mainstreets, Iron Horse

Back home = River Roost, Side Bar, Rainbow Bar, Ted’s, TC’s, Valley Inn

dang……we mighta ran into each other back in the day!!!!!!!! whistling whistling

the Rainbow is now called Winners!!!!!!! if we go out that’s where we head. really good food!!!!!!

jwellsy

I’m so old, I’m glad I don’t feel a need to go out tomcattin any more. I feel sorry for all the young bucks & does that still have wild oats to sow. Where will they go and feel safe letting someone into their personal space long enough to get to know them? Guess they’ll just have to learn to like drinking more fluoride at home.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

You Hopkins, archies people remember a guy named Denny Whitley?

big_g
    Isle, MN

You Hopkins, archies people remember a guy named Denny Whitley?

Not specifically, don’t remember a lot about being there.. almost every week, but now I need to know. whistling

Fred Thebado

My years in Rochester,My best friend played a lot of ball… he Graduated from John Marshall.- Mike deWit (r.i.p.)
    – we also were lifeguards at the Y . .
    ..Gramps1969 – only other bars I thought of; Doolys- & The Whaler

tim hurley

How about Rupperts, Dibbos, Mermaid, all weekend joints-Sweeneys or Chang O’haras during the week.

Brian Bezanson

Viking on Riverside on rainout days. 400 & Palmers also on the West bank, as was Caesars were a buddy tended bar and made plenty of mistake drinks to be disposed.
    The Joint & Cabooze were great music places.
    Wahkon ballroom / a go go is still talked about revently around here. Farther north it was The White Pine in Deerwood, Silver Dollar in Trommald. 40 Club in Aitkin & also the Muni.
    I lived out on Co 4 so I’d swing in to the Lakeview on Dam Lake if a light was on when I went by.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Man you guys are old! Even make this old thread look young… rotflol jester rotflol

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

Mettlers in Mankato

Brittman

Zorbaz in DL
    Hotel (Shoreham) between Lake Melissa and Sally was the absolute place to be in the summer. Had to get there early to beat the bouncer to his station when we were 18. I think there was a place across the street (The store), but the Hotel is where you wanted to be.

Brittman

Gluek’s was actually a nice place to hang and have a few drinks without the cover and loud music.

wkw

I can’t believe the Rochester guys did’nt mention the Lantern Lounge on Broadway. Dancers !

Jimmy Jones

I can’t believe the Rochester guys did’nt mention the Lantern Lounge on Broadway. Dancers !

Or the Wappy Horrier aka Happy Warrior. And the Outrigger. And the guiding light aka North Star Bar. And the Roxie. And the Hollywood Bar. And Harry’s Bar. The latter 4 were pretty tough. The Top Of The Rock was somewhere the disco crowd hung out because they were too pussed to venture in the other bars.

Fred Thebado

went to RCC- LOT of friends from John Marshall – closed many bars with them…. Outrigger, Dooleys, the Whaler(their Sneeky Pete’s by the pitcher caught up with ya) I miss Old Style beer too… cant get it here in CT. I forget the name of the “Ballroom” out on 14 ???? anybody??? – any of you John Marshall Ball players OR swim team remember my best friend, Mike DeWitt??? – man we had some good times! – RCC Choir used to go to Florida every Spring Break, that Bus ride down was non stop partying…

FryDog62

Fred, I think you and I ran in common circles – I went to JM and then played baseball at RCC. The ballroom out on 14 I think was Knights of Columbus on the South Side… and yeah what was the name of the one on the North side?? Spilled a few there for sure. Mike DeWitt I barely knew but remember he was a lifeguard, good dude. My sister Becky FryDog was in the RCC choir, I was 2 years younger. Deb Cemensky is still a good friend today (our sons were neighbors, then room mates after college). Small world ~

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Gabe’s, Halftime Rec, Lions Pub, Leo’s Lounge- Vermillion. SD.

Tom schmitt

By the list of bars I will guess that no one here is from Shakopee. I believe it was called the Jug back then, now it’s gone.
    But I remember Arnie’s the most because it was open at 8 am for us night shift workers and he always had enough money to cash our pay checks.
    He would also allow you to order 6 at last call and stay till they were gone. Getting of at midnight really puts a cramp on a fun time for a young guy.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.