7 inch Bubba fillet knife good buy?

• mrpike1973

I don’t fillet fish much but my old Rapala knives are not cutting it Would the Bubba 7 inch Knife be good? I don’t fillet much but mostly Trout and a occasional pike or eye. Thanks not interested in 100 buck knives.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a older Rapala brown handle knife that thing has been awesome for years. Just have to know how to use a sharpener.
    Nothing wrong with Bubba knives at all, besides I don’t like 7 inch blades I likes 5

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heard good things about Bubba. I don’t like short fillet knives. I prefer 7.

stevenoak

I have a Bubba for cleaning saltwater fish. Hide in some of them will kill the edge on a finer fillet knife. I wouldn’t use it on panfish. But they have come out with a bigger selection of lengths and blade thicknesses. They even have a kitchen set. I also have a Leech Lake knife. But I still gravitate to a 40-year-old, Old Timer folding knife my brother gave me for Christmas, for cleaning Midwest fish.

Ripjiggen

Sharpen them like other have said. I have a Rapala knife going on 15 years.
    But if you want to buy a bubba by all means go for it good knife.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Every time somebody complains about their knife or asks me how I like my brand or the brand x they heard is the greatest, I ask them this:

Is your knife sharp?

They always answer yes. This is almost never the case and once I check, their knife is almost always dull.

No matter what knife you’re running you will be happier with it if you learn to properly sharpen. Fillet knives are probably the worst culprit because by their nature they have to be flexible and that limits the hardness of the steel that can be used in their construction. Therefore they need more regular sharpening and they need to be touched up to remain sharp.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Every time somebody complains about their knife or asks me how I like my brand or the brand x they heard is the greatest, I ask them this:

Is your knife sharp?

They always answer yes. This is almost never the case and once I check, their knife is almost always dull.

No matter what knife you’re running you will be happier with it if you learn to properly sharpen. Fillet knives are probably the worst culprit because by their nature they have to be flexible and that limits the hardness of the steel that can be used in their construction. Therefore they need more regular sharpening and they need to be touched up to remain sharp.

yep…BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

mojo

My favorite fillet knives by far are the Kast King 7″ flex fillet knife – $27, and the 9″ boning knife – under $24 right now, and free shipping from Amazon. Literally razor sharp – definitely the sharpest from the factory blade I’ve ever touched, and blades are German stainless steel. If you like a flexible, razor sharp blade, you will love these, and for that price, it’s a tremendous value.

AnotherFisherman

I have the 7 inch bubba fillet knife. Love it! The grip on that thing is fantastic.

catmando
    wis

Can’t say about the Bubba, I use a couple of electrics, Rapalas, and Dexters. That Big Dexter is the ticket for Salmon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.