6-7 passenger SUVs

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My Explorer Sport is getting a bit long in the tooth and approaching 100k miles. I also think the car market is going to have some deals coming in the next 12 mo and I have two kids that (hopefully) will graduate college in May, so no more tuition checks.

So, gal wants a third row, I want something a bit sporty that I can tow the 18′ Lund with. I didnt have the best luck with the last Ford, so IDK if I want an ST.

Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with Mazda CX-90 Turbo? Its rated well, but I havent had a Mazda since the 90s!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m looking at the same style of vehicle.

Avoid GM at all costs. They have a new debacle on their hands with transmissions. Within the last couple of months they have had new vehicle transmission failures occurring at less than a thousand miles in the Acadia/Traverse. I haven’t seen a definitive version of what’s going wrong but it’s bad.

I have to be honest with you I really like the Explorer.

Also looking at a Toyota 4Runner but I believe a new version is coming out next year so I’m a little wary about buying into the old version. Especially since the old version hasn’t been updated in like forever.

I haven’t looked at the Mazda but now that you mentioned it I’ll have to check into that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We recently bought a CX-5 (not what you’re looking for), but I snooped around the CX-90 at the dealership, and it seems like a nice vehicle. I have no clue how it’d tow. Mazda is making some nice vehicles, and their financing beat the pants off of Toyota.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kia’s are hard to beat with the amount of features you get for the price…of course there are recalls to get fixed (all of mine have been minor preventative fixes) but all brands have them nowadays with the amount of tech included… The only thing I don’t like about Kia’s is the need for wired Apple Carplay, very small gripe that’s getting fixed in newer model years…

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I was all set to get the wife a new CX-90, but I honestly can not get over what they did to the front end. I really like the latest CX-9s, but they are kind of a dog. The new CX-90 Turbo S is much more fun car to drive. The interior fit and finish seems to be on par with high end vehicles; MB, BMW, Lexus, ect… But like I mentioned I just can’t get myself to like the front end, so I’ll likely pass.

I do think what we will end up getting is a MDX Type S. Maybe something to consider.

I will note, she drives a CX5 right now and had a Mazda 6 prior, both were extremely reliable. Only issues for the 6 was a PCV valve and zero issues(knock on wood) with the CX5, 185K on it currently.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

During COVID, I think the Explorer STs were going for insane prices, they “seem” a little more reasonable now. I do like the new seats on the 2025, but that is no reason to buy a vehicle!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Acura FINALLY replaced that stupid touchpad that was needed to use the Media screen, that was always a dealbreaker with me. I ended up going with a fully loaded Kia Telluride which ended up being $20k less than a comparably equipped MDX…

JEREMY
    BP

Avoid GM at all costs. They have a new debacle on their hands with transmissions. Within the last couple of months they have had new vehicle transmission failures occurring at less than a thousand miles in the Acadia/Traverse. I haven’t seen a definitive version of what’s going wrong but it’s bad.

Thats news to me. I have a Traverse has not had a sinlge tranny issue. I also work at a GM dealer and have not seen that in the shop once yet. If the old lady wanted a new car I would get a Traverse again today.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t think a Toyota Forerunner has a third row of seating with room for 6 or 7 people. At least the ones I’ve seen don’t.

The Highlander does, if you’re looking at a Toyota.

JEREMY
    BP

Just looked at the current list of TSB’s for 2024 new model Traverse and there isnt a single one mentioning transmission issues.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Mercedes GLE 450 is a nice ride with plenty of towing power 6cyl turbo 375-hp and towing up to 7,700 lbs.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Acura FINALLY replaced that stupid touchpad that was needed to use the Media screen, that was always a dealbreaker with me. I ended up going with a fully loaded Kia Telluride which ended up being $20k less than a comparably equipped MDX…

You were able to purchase a SX Prestige for around $40K?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Thats news to me. I have a Traverse has not had a sinlge tranny issue. I also work at a GM dealer and have not seen that in the shop once yet. If the old lady wanted a new car I would get a Traverse again today.

The failures apparently started showing up in July from vehicles built earlier in 2024 according to the article I read. No comment on a cause, nor (predictably) did they give any total numbers of failures. Parts or assembly issue? More legendary GM quality either way. I’ve bought GM for over 35 years, but my last 2 have been my worst 2 in an age when quality should be getting better, not worse.

PmB

Last gen Lexus gx460’s are quality vehicles

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

You were able to purchase a SX Prestige for around $40K?

nope, low 50’s for a SXP-Xline…To clarify, I was looking at the A-Spec model MDX, to get the options close to the Prestige you needed to get the Advanced Package, that put the price into the $70’s. This was late 2022, so if you were able to find a Telluride at msrp, you jumped on it…I like the sporty looking models, the base MDX was way to bland looking for my tastes…Storage space is alot better in the Telluride as well…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The lady really wanted a Mazda, we test drove the cx5 and before the second stop light we both said no. I’m not sure how the cx 90 is compared to the cx 5 but the Hyundai we bought is way nicer then the Mazda. If I were looking at something it would be a highlander.
    The 4 runner would be a no for 6 to 7 people

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

The lady really wanted a Mazda, we test drove the cx5 and before the second stop light we both said no. I’m not sure how the cx 90 is compared to the cx 5 but the Hyundai we bought is way nicer then the Mazda. If I were looking at something it would be a highlander.
    The 4 runner would be a no for 6 to 7 people

I looked at the Highlander and liked it, but they only have 4 cylinders now. I dont mind towing with a 6, but any concerns about towing with a smaller turbo? My boat isnt huge, so i am sure it would handle it fine, so I think it is just a mental thing for me. Garage Logic tells me I need more CI.

JEREMY
    BP

I have to eat crow now. The 2024 limited traverse and other early 2024 models have a stop sale on them til the problem is fixed. Clutch retaining ring out of spec. If you buy it now the issue will be fixed cause they cant be sold til repair is done.

Gregg Gunter

I think the 4 Runner is getting wider. I leased one about 5 years ago and went to a Highlander because the cargo area was wide enough for my portable fish house. But I miss the four wheel drive on the 4 Runner.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I looked at the Highlander and liked it, but they only have 4 cylinders now. I dont mind towing with a 6, but any concerns about towing with a smaller turbo? My boat isnt huge, so i am sure it would handle it fine, so I think it is just a mental thing for me.

Keep in mind there are 3 versions of the Highlander: standard, hybrid, and grand.

The hybrid can only handle 3500 pounds, while the other two are 5,000 pounds. I don’t know what kind or how big of a boat you have. If you want a new hybrid, be prepared to wait. There is nearly a 6 month wait or more on a new one.

Also, the Forerunner has the same towing capacity. 5,000 pounds.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My wife has been going through this same situation for the better part of 2 years. We had an Explorer ST home for a day to test. She drove a slightly used year old Tahoe to test. She tried a Durango. She also drove the Hyundai Palisade. She tried a Jeep Grand Cherokee L. She finally pulled the trigger on a brand new 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland.

I did not care for the Explorer ST. The finishes felt real cheap compared to each of the other options. Plastic everywhere. The Durango wasn’t bad but was the most “used” of the bunch at 2 years old and I knew she wasn’t going to go that route. The Tahoe rode nice but for the price the features simply weren’t there and I have ZERO trust in the GM’s 5.3. The Hyundai was probably the second “best” in her eyes solely because she liked the looks of the Jeep more

So far, I’ve been please with it when I’ve driven it. We took it to Montana and packed it with stuff, a receiver cargo rack, and gear on top on the rack as well. It handled the mountains fine. It’s extremely quiet at highway speeds and you can tell it is considerably heavier (in a good way) than her 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The attention to detail with stiching and upholstery is nicer than the Explorer and Tahoe regardless of trim levels for sure. I think it averaged about 21mpg, but that was cruising at 85-88mph loaded with way too much stuff in 95-100 degree temps. I have not towed anything with it and likely never will, but I’d be shocked if any small to medium sized aluminum fishing boat is an issue.

dirtywater

Have you considered a Honda Pilot Trailsport? I think somebody around here has one in the family and might be able to weigh in.

I like to be over-rated for towing capacity so I wouldn’t consider anything less than 5,000 pounds but that’s just me. I spent several years towing boats at or near the towing vehicle’s capacity and I’ll never go back there. Remember, if the vehicle says it’s rated for 3500 pounds that number includes all passengers and cargo in the vehicle, not just the boat.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree dirtywater. Best to stay on the conservative side. Not just for capacity, but for braking too.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dave, get the 2025 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Get some custom wheels with spinners! peace

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dave, get the 2025 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Get some custom wheels with spinners! peace

-J.

Are you selling yours? If I buy it, I get to keep the “Chilling the Most” flag.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m keeping my flag…. coffee

-J.

JEREMY
    BP

Are you selling yours? If I buy it, I get to keep the “Chilling the Most” flag.

You gonna rock that biach up and down the coast?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Dave B seems like the kind of guy that’d get thrown in the mix and tossed outta bars.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.