494 construction/traffic???

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Heading to Chaska tomorrow morning, I will be hitting the cities around 9:00-9:30ish. I see there is some construction on 494 anyone have an idea if it will be bad and if I should avoid it in the morning?

Thanks

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think you’ll be fine at that time. Southbound has two lanes open in the morning. It does back up, but by 9:00-9:30, it’s not bad.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Heading to Chaska tomorrow morning from where?

If heading eastbound on 94 from Moorhead, there is construction on 494 east/southbound just after the 494 / 694 split. As Ralph says, at that time of morning it shouldn’t be bad, but there is nearly always a slowdown in this area.

Where are you coming in from? There may be a more logical route rather than driving all the way into the traffic cluster #### just to go down to Chaska.

Grouse

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Yes, I will be coming from Moorhead. Plan B was 71 to Olivia then over on 212. Im just a little afraid of trying to make up the extra miles by hauling moon knowing the kind of driver I am. grin

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Earlier this week, I ran my son to a doctor appointment and drove 494 from just west of the 494/694 split in Maple Grove down to the intersection of 494 and 55 at just after 9:00, and it was clear sailing. I can’t speak for any delays south of that, but in the time frame you’re thinking, I think you will be fine. Personally, I’d choose that route over 71/212.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

As Ralph said I think you will be fine that time of day. But if it’s slow anywhere from Clearwater toward the cities you can jump off the freeway and take the backroads to Hwy 7 to 212. That’s what the FW and I do when cabin traffic is bad (we live in Chaska).

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, I think you’re better off sticking to the Interstate plan rather the 71/212.

BigWerm gives a good Plan B idea above in case things start backing up at Clearwater or if traffic for some reason looks very bad on 494.

MN DOT has an excellent and free traffic app called Minnesota 511. It shows live maps and has links to cameras. Obviously not for use while driving, but this app has saved me a ton of time by allowing me to reroute around traffic cluster ####s before I drive straight into them. It also shows construction zones because often traffic reports don’t mention issues caused by construction because it happens every day and local drives get used to it and know it’s there.

Grouse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.