39 Hours – Season 2!!!

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>
    I think team USA is at a bit of a disadvantage (not that I’m super sad about it) having not been in the competition the first time. They spent a lot of time trying to upgrade that smallmouth, whereas the other teams are going for numbers of species. You could argue the Konrads are burning time too, but that laker point isn’t going anywhere, and that pike is pretty solid. I think Taro/Paul are set up pretty solid after the first round.

With where the Konrads where located they probably could not really go after any other species since they took a plane to get to their location.

Oh I agree fully. That was a calculated move on their part to (hopefully) lock up the laker and pike points. If they use the same format as the original 39 hours they probably don’t take the plane up there.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think they were also prefishing for grayling but couldn’t find any. Would have been a good point. Can’t believe jay didn’t measure the rockbass.

Deuces

They got a plane?
    Yea
    They really got a f$+!in plane?
    Yea
    We’re f+_!ed.
    We’re so f+3!ed.

rotflol rotflol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They are entertaining for the most part. That Taro guy is a bit much but…

Takes a while to get use to Aaron without the hair.

Be fun to see how it goes.

Deuces

Swiss chalet!!!

Episode 3 out. Big moves.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Swiss chalet!!!

Episode 3 out. Big moves.

Will be watching once I get off shift!

B-man

I’m hooked waytogo

What a fun show to watch, never been into watching much competitive fishing, but this show is a lot of fun

Just finished the new episode, looking forward to next week with the Wisconsin boys on the big water! They’ll have a great chance at locking in a king, coho, brown and steelie

AnotherFisherman

I’m hooked waytogo

What a fun show to watch, never been into watching much competitive fishing, but this show is a lot of fun

Just finished the new episode, looking forward to next week with the Wisconsin boys on the big water! They’ll have a great chance at locking in a king, coho, brown and steelie

Season 1 is worth the watch!

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

That was a really up and down episode. Konrad bros didn’t do themselves any favors in that period sticking with sturgeon for that long. Think Taro’s 30″ walleye is safe? The rainbow’s getting busted. Perch is pretty weak. Crappie is borderline. The point jockeying is gonna be a ton of fun. It’s cool how geographically spreading the teams out gives them unique advantages for certain species compared to your average tournament.

Deuces

Only thing safe is that Laker and channel. Everything else IMO is up in air. Some very high bars set though…..

Konrad’s got their game plan, I don’t doubt their decisions.

I didn’t pay attention is it every Wednesday then?

AnotherFisherman

I didn’t pay attention is it every Wednesday then?

Yes, every Wednesday at 7:30 central time is when it’s premiered on YouTube. Can watch whenever when it’s released.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can one imagine 39hours with a team mille lacs, team leech, team Mississippi and team Tonka?!

I was thinking that too. A similar competition but with big MN lakes, or lake areas, ML/LOTW/Vermillion/Pepin/Leech or DL/Alex/Park Rapids/Grand Rapids etc. And you could limit it to the biggest fish in certain predefined categories like Smallmouth, Largemouth, Walleye, Muskie, Crappie, Sunnies etc. It’d be sweet if there were a MN team in the current setup with Hoyer and whoever he wanted to fish with too.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can’t have a legit competition without rock bass.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m hooked waytogo

Yep, I didn’t watch season one and this season has me hooked as well. I really enjoy Paul and Taro because they clearly get on each others’ nerves but they are getting the job done currently. Good stuff and I agree it’s going to be fun to watch Haataja on the big lake.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Had to binge watch this this weekend. Very fun show. Season one has me thinking I need to head north to look for bigger walleyes. Also had me thinking this would be a fantastic format for the croix. We a slow day on the croix is 5 different species. Good day is 10 species and very good is 15 or more.

Charles

So watching this is making me wonder, why is everybody “Team USA” so damn focus on the great lakes? Wouldn’t fishing inward give you a better chance of multiple fish? I think a Team Minnesota would give it a hell of a chance, since we have so many flipping options to fish.

munchy
    NULL

I gotta ask….what happened with that squirrel….. rotflol

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So watching this is making me wonder, why is everybody “Team USA” so damn focus on the great lakes? Wouldn’t fishing inward give you a better chance of multiple fish? I think a Team Minnesota would give it a hell of a chance, since we have so many flipping options to fish.

They where hoping to get 3 points out there. Only got 2 if I remember right.

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Misssissippi would win hands down.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dusty Gesinger wrote:</div>
    Team Mississippi wins with all of the species.

Does it though? Late spring after bass opener you willing to count out a lake like tonka, pannies in shallow, largies, Pike, carp in shallow…..it’s fun to think about. Especially when they classify all suckers into just 3 categ. Yeah buffalo, quillback is unique but those aren’t for sures on the river anyday, especially colder the water!

Yes, team Mississippi would destroy this!! With allowed access to the Croix they would be a very tough team to beat. We have caught 10 species pitching jig/crawlers alone while chasing walleyes. With a little luck getting a musky and pike combo out of the Croix. Both species of cats, White bass, Sauger, Drum, Sturgeon are all pretty easy to target and not even present in Tonka .. All species panfish are present and big in the sippi too!!

Large and Smallmouths are easy targets but not easy to get them over 20″.

Panfish run huge in the river and would hold up to any of these lakes.

The only thing that would hurt the ol miss would be the cold water or excessive high water in the spring. Anytime after smallies, Musky and Sturgeon are open and the sip wins hand down!!!!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The only thing that would hurt the ol miss would be the cold water or excessive high water in the spring. Anytime after smallies, Musky and Sturgeon are open and the sip wins hand down!!!!!

You could have it just on the Rivers of MN, Mississippi vs Croix vs MN vs Rainy vs St. Louis, I’d tune in for that!

Ryan Walker

Wow! Man those boys can catch em.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

That brown… incredible

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I don’t think the river (assume you mean p2, p3, p4, and lowerish croix) would play as dominate as you think. Attached are the leading fish after the second of 3 days of fishing (up to date 2/6/20).

Here is a list river fish and my belief on how they would land in this years contest (to date) and in general. Assuming the period is fished during all open seasons for these fish. I may miss some. And assume you are restricted to just these waters and its two of the best river sticks competing (Lets just call it the Griz and a good garbage guy, BK) LOL I would like to see that team. And assume they fish mainly garbage (To be PC to BK lets call them “alternative” species)

Current species caught with BOLDs on likely river winners.
    Largie (15.5″): Easy Win, likely 18-19″ in many backwaters.
    Smallie (21.75″): 22″ not happening, that’s a unicorn here.
    Chinook (36.25″): NOPE
    Coho (23″): NOPE
    Laker (42″): BIGGER NOPE
    Pike (37″): I would say its a 10% chance a river pike would edge a canada Pike in a 3 day contest. Would need a 42″ to have decent chance against them boyz EH
    Sauger (15.5″): Easy Win, most likely can find a 19-20″
    Sturgeon (49.5″): Not a easy Win, but assume river takes this point
    Goldeye (15″) : I’ll say yes, but its a toss up
    Yellow Perch (13″): 50/50 so lets go yes
    Whitefish (20.75″): Nope
    Brown (37″): They sometimes sneak out of the vermillion or the kinni, but nope you aint getting this one!
    Black Crappie (14″): Possible but not as likely
    Bullhead (14″): Imma say 50/50 so I will give it to us.
    Channel Cat (37″): Nope sorry, the red river will take this everyday of every week forever and ever amen.
    Buffalo (26″): 70/30 chance us.
    Rock Bass (10.75″): Prob not but who know
    Sucker (21.5″): Maybe, but I am not giving it to us
    Mooneye (14″): Possible and prob 50/50 but can’t win every 50/50
    Tiger Trout (17.25″): Tiger no, but maybe a trouser!
    Common Carp (36″): 50 50 and sure possible but alot of teams have access to this fish so I’m not just gunna give it to us.
    Gizzard Shad (19.75″): At this size….ah no
    Drum (31″): Yes possible but not super common to top 31″
    Rudd (15.25″): Better chance at catching Paul Rudd then beating this.
    Rainbow Trout (29.75″): Nope
    Walleye (30″): Possible but I’ll say no here too.
    White Bass (18.5″): Spend a half day on it and likely you beat it.

So for current fish we steal probably 6-7 points.
    OK, here are additional species:
    Bowfin: Possible to catch but not super easy
    Burbout: NOPE
    Gar (either): this one is ours, 50% if you target you can find.
    Quilback: Toss up, unlikely ours though
    Flathead Cat: Ours again!
    White Crappie: Ours again! We rolling baby!
    Musky: Possibly ours, but I am not gunna count it.
    Gill: 30/70 there are alot of gills that touch 10-10.25 in the backwater but can’t count on it IMO
    Sturg Shovelnose: YEYEYE, but I think this is same cat. as Lake Sturgeon

So as I see it we are at 10 points max….anything I am missing?

You could argue things like, “Well yeah so I have caught a 16″ crappie on the river before!” Sure who hasn’t (besides me lol) but this is 3 days of fishing, not a lifetime.

Attachments:
    1. live-target-leaderboard-39-hrs-EOD2.jpg

zooks

That brown… incredible

When that thing jumped! Oh man, I would have lost my stuff if I had that fish hooked up.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

In this format i believe the person could use lake superior and other Minnesota lakes and rivers for access to most species. I was saying Mississippi river beats most other Minnesota lakes and rivers in a just Minnesota mythical version. St. Croix and other rivers would definitely compete. But on your point, I think a Minnesota team would have a chance at this competition. Know your strong points and don’t mess with stuff you can’t compete with.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I was saying Mississippi river beats most other Minnesota lakes and rivers in a just Minnesota mythical version.

For sure, but it would be cool to compete/win in this tourney, and never take your boat out of one connected body of water. poop I could sleep at my house every night and just make short 40min – 1hr runs in the boat and hit all these spots. I am just not a good enough fisher to tackle all these species effectively.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

In this format i believe the person could use lake superior and other Minnesota lakes and rivers for access to most species.

I see at most 3 points on Lake Superior. At most. I fish there more than anything other body of water and maybe could register one of those 3 points. A cisco.

The only other possible points are a brook trout and a big whitefish.

No chance on that lake trout. I still haven’t broken 40”. Lakers that big aren’t that easy to come by. Slim chance on a steelhead. My biggest is 29”. No chance on the coho or king. Superior is too cold to compete with those Easter Great Lakes.

If you can somehow get a big coaster, it’s a sure point. I’ve never caught one or seen one. The best bet for one would be at grand portage, too far to be worth a trip.

Bayfield may get you a nice brown or splake but the brown won’t be big enough.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Great post Evan. I totally agree with all of that.

Mn would put up a good fight but those brothers would be real tough to beat.

Deuces

I’d shore fish midday, minnehaha with the ultralight, get like 12 species of minnows, oh, and a chance at a 60″ sturgeon woot

That’s before I even touch Tonka…

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.