20HP Merc made by Tohatsu?

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I’m an OMC guy (Good OMC, not bad OMC), but I’ve never owned a Yamaha. My current T14v was repowered with a 1999 15hp Evinrude with 20 hours. Those are the two I’ll probably ever own, but I am curious in what years did Tohatsu completely takeover making all Mercury outboards 20hp or less?

I’m eyeballing a larger boat but both have 20hp 4 Stroke Mercs and that makes me nervous.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My understanding is that all Mercury badged 4 stroke outboards from 30 HP on down, have always been made by Tohatsu. Which, btw, is a division of Nissan. This may/may not be correct, Mercury is not exactly forthcoming with consumer-facing info on exactly what’s what, so this is just my understanding.

What I understand of the situation with 2 strokes is that it was complicated. Tohatsu made powerheads for some, complete engines for some, and I believe they made semi-complete outboards for some models that were then finished and badged as Mercury. To make this more complicated, there were variations between some of the Tohatsu-badged models and the Mercury-badged models of the same HP, so the 2 strokes had interchangeable parts, but not ALL interchangeable parts.

Grouse

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Don’t remember if any Merc 4 strokes had any Yamaha parts or were complete motors or just the older 2 strokes were combo Merc/Yammie.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.