2024 Vikings

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Is Davante planning on playing Offensive Line to make the team better?

If not…I don’t really understand this move. Lazard is a solid #2 who can block and make contested catches. Wilson has no problem getting separation from almost anyone. Mike Williams already barely sees the field, and will now take up a roster spot while not playing any special teams. Breece Hall is a top 10 RB in the league and Braelon Allen is a solid #2 who can play special teams, FB, RB, etc.

The Bills getting Cooper is huge. He does lead the league with 9 drops so far, but he’s a big play machine. At age 30 and with the Bills hardly taking on any of the cap hit, he has a lot to play for. Make the Pro Bowl and help the Bills get to the AFC Championship or beyond….and it’s a payday again. It’s crazy how much better players often are in their contract years. He was headed nowhere with the Browns and ultimately losing money on his next contract with each passing week.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I think cooper is overrated and inconsistent.

I’m wondering what Aaron Jones’ injury is? I know they say hip, but what does that mean? After the injury be was on the sidelines trying to “loosen up” but couldn’t do it and so was out. Sounds like he’s back for the lions game. Do you think it was a pulled muscle connected to the hip or was it the joint inside the hip?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think cooper is overrated and inconsistent.

I’m wondering what Aaron Jones’ injury is? I know they say hip, but what does that mean? After the injury be was on the sidelines trying to “loosen up” but couldn’t do it and so was out. Sounds like he’s back for the lions game. Do you think it was a pulled muscle connected to the hip or was it the joint inside the hip?

My guess is a hip pointer or underlying muscle soreness due to taking a direct helmet shot…We knew this is what we would be getting with Jones, nobody expects him to play 17 games…The bonus was that it happened early on in the game and they took him out before it got worse and he then got a bye week to further rest it…

I bet they pick up a veteran RB before the trade deadline as insurance…

CaptainMusky

And just like that Vikings make a move to bring Akers back

Brittman

Vikings will have a rather tough short week schedule playing Detroit at home on Sunday and then having to travel to LA to face the Rams on Thursday night.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^The Vikings get Detroit coming off a bye…and immediately following them losing their best defensive player to injury. The Rams then have 1 win and have scored fewer points than any other team in the NFC.

I don’t see the “tough”, but rather the most favorable setup they could get for short week travel (that every team goes through)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

And just like that Vikings make a move to bring Akers back

He doesn’t do much for me, but at least there is some familiarity I guess. I feel like there were going to be better options available at a similar price.

JEREMY
    BP

If they think hes worth a crap why didnt they just keep him from last year.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Yeah same, Werm. What I really don’t like is that the Vikes cut the guy in the offseason and now used assets to get him back.

But…KOC was with Akers in LA and then with the Vikes. At the moment there are not many people who deal with the offensive side of the ball in the NFL that I trust more than KOC so I’m ok with it I guess.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s a good article on a few topics the thread has touched on. If you don’t want to read it, basically KOC loves Akers, they are still really high on Dallas Turner but letting him develop while getting elite play from the guys in front of him. And Risner could be replacing Ingram at RG, which has been the main weak point in an otherwise great OL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/reactions/matthew-coller-akers-trade-risner-at-rg-and-dallas-turner-s-progress-01jaanr5ee4t

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I understand the hesitation on Akers. But in my view a huge step up from miles gaskin(sp). And chandler is good, but more of a change of pace back than a bell cow.

Brittman

Simple. Akers knows the playbook. His indoctrination time can be short.

And this !

Akers is an excellent pass protector. In 85 career snaps in pass pro, he has allowed only five QB pressures and in his highest usage season (2022), he graded 73.9 by PFF in pass blocking, fourth best among RBs with more than 30 blocking snaps.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m wondering what Aaron Jones’ injury is? I know they say hip, but what does that mean?

I read today its a hamstring strain. how bad? bad enough they traded for Akers which could mean nothing or a depth move if AJ misses a few games. Ty has a nice opportunity to prove he can handle the backfield if AJ misses any time. We will know more by friday as the mid week practice reports are pretty much garbage. If a guy goes out to stretch, he is limited. I got a feeling AJ will miss some time because of his age and past injuries but they will play it smart with him no doubt.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Simple. Akers knows the playbook. His indoctrination time can be short.

And this !

Akers is an excellent pass protector. In 85 career snaps in pass pro, he has allowed only five QB pressures and in his highest usage season (2022), he graded 73.9 by PFF in pass blocking, fourth best among RBs with more than 30 blocking snaps.

not bad for a guy with 2 blown Achilles! might be the only player to recover from what is considered a career ender?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

From what I have been hearing on KFAN the last couple days, the Lions are worried about their pass rush (or lack thereof) with Hutchinson lost for the season. He had as many sacks as the rest of the team combined, and without him in the lineup, they aren’t confident that there is going to be a consistent pass rush on Sam Darnold.

That being said, it sounds like Darnold will mostly have the time needed to make plays in the pocket. Its important that the Vikings remain a balanaced team on offense though – running and passing are complimentary to each other.

Also, Goff is not a mobile QB in any way. Sure, he caught a TD against Seattle but he’s got bricks on his feet, so pressure on him in passing situations will be critical on defense.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

From what I have been hearing on KFAN the last couple days, the Lions are worried about their pass rush (or lack thereof) with Hutchinson lost for the season. He had as many sacks as the rest of the team combined, and without him in the lineup, they aren’t confident that there is going to be a consistent pass rush on Sam Darnold.

That being said, it sounds like Darnold will mostly have the time needed to make plays in the pocket. Its important that the Vikings remain a balanaced team on offense though – running and passing are complimentary to each other.

Also, Goff is not a mobile QB in any way. Sure, he caught a TD against Seattle but he’s got bricks on his feet, so pressure on him in passing situations will be critical on defense.

You start breaking down the All 22 now too Gim? You are going to be a whole newscast in one if you can get the A section down too, Weather and Sports are already old hat! waytogo jester

Fun stat, Nick Mullens played both games against Detroit last year and threw for 800 yards in the 2 games. Expect big things from Darnold and the passing game this weekend, but I do expect a balanced attack like Gim Kiper especially with Hutchinson out, he’s an even bigger beast against the run.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The Lions haven’t sent as many rushers this year with Hutchinson providing more than enough. I’m hoping they send more now that he’s out to compensate, putting JJ & Co. in favorable situations.

Ripjiggen

rotflol well he did stay at a holiday inn last night

Viewing 18 posts - 811 through 828 (of 828 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.