2024 Vikings

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think it’s far too early for any sweeping proclamations. One thing Zimmer used to always say that I think is absolutely true, is the first 4 weeks is a crap shoot and you just try and survive it. Now there plenty of tape and tendencies out there, and the cream will rise to the top while injuries sink a few other teams.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I guess I a failing to see your point. Are you saying you wish they tried hard for a comeback loss rather than to win the game.

Haha you’re failing to see my point because I don’t think I really finished it. What I was trying to do is compare the Vikings game with Gophers/Michigan and Alabama/Georgia, all games over the weekend that saw an absolute blowout early on/first half that turned out to be very close. And when the season plays out and we’re in December and January….the columns are “Win” and “Loss…” How close things were or how much you “let the other team back in” don’t matter at all.

I honestly think the drama of the 2nd half is good for the team and the coaching staff, I think the coaching staff will have a much more productive week with the team compared to if they would’ve just kept rolling in a blowout. Should keep the guys motivated too. One of the old cliches is that you want your team to face adversity during the season so they perform through it in the postseason, and they got some of that yesterday that they wouldn’t have had in a blowout. Last year, when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl, they were rolling and got beat in December (I think) by a bad Raiders team, and the Chiefs were almost glad about it. They talked about their loss and then rolled into the next week knowing they were human and had to work to win each week. Hopefully the Vikes and coaching staff do the same.

Ripjiggen

No doubt it’s still early but also think just about anyone can come out of the NFC this year.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    I guess I a failing to see your point. Are you saying you wish they tried hard for a comeback loss rather than to win the game.

Haha you’re failing to see my point because I don’t think I really finished it. What I was trying to do is compare the Vikings game with Gophers/Michigan and Alabama/Georgia, all games over the weekend that saw an absolute blowout early on/first half that turned out to be very close. And when the season plays out and we’re in December and January….the columns are “Win” and “Loss…” How close things were or how much you “let the other team back in” don’t matter at all.

I honestly think the drama of the 2nd half is good for the team and the coaching staff, I think the coaching staff will have a much more productive week with the team compared to if they would’ve just kept rolling in a blowout. Should keep the guys motivated too. One of the old cliches is that you want your team to face adversity during the season so they perform through it in the postseason, and they got some of that yesterday that they wouldn’t have had in a blowout. Last year, when the Chiefs won the Super Bowl, they were rolling and got beat in December (I think) by a bad Raiders team, and the Chiefs were almost glad about it. They talked about their loss and then rolled into the next week knowing they were human and had to work to win each week. Hopefully the Vikes and coaching staff do the same.

Gotcha and agree. toast

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I think it’s far too early for any sweeping proclamations. One thing Zimmer used to always say that I think is absolutely true, is the first 4 weeks is a crap shoot and you just try and survive it. Now there plenty of tape and tendencies out there, and the cream will rise to the top while injuries sink a few other teams.

I’ll make a proclamation. If the core Offensive stars don’t get injured this teams floor is 3 losses @Jags @Seattle @Lions; with a shot at a perfect season if no key stars go down. The Vikes will be Division Champs; The Lions Coach is a liability and not in the same league as KOC/Flores, and MLF not to mention other top NFC Coaches. I don’t see this team losing a home game. They are the class of the NFC and have the team mentality to stay that way. This team is damn good.

If the refs don’t gift the Pack that INT at the goal line that wasn’t caught in bounds, chances are 90/10 that the Pack never gets close enough to make it a game. That blown call was a huge momentum shift. It happened on 2nd Down and we got 9 yards on first down. If that call gets reversed the Pack probably give up a first down and TD. There is your dagger! The refs kept the Pack in the game on a badly blown call.

ThunderLund78

Now there plenty of tape and tendencies out there, and the cream will rise to the top while injuries sink a few other teams.

Obviously our play on both sides of the ball has been off the charts so far – but one factor, to your point Werm, is that injuries happen. In fact 2 of our wins came against very good teams where arguably their biggest playmaker was out. You could argue that we’ve played without Hockenson and Addison, big names for sure, but they’re not Alexander or CMC. Our defense is playing so good as a unit that one big injury might not hurt, but if we lose JJ or Darnold for any amount of time, we become a VERY beatable squad. The season is young and one of them will likely have to miss some time, at some point. Let’s hope it’s not longterm and enjoy this moment in the sun while it lasts

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll make a proclamation. If the core Offensive stars don’t get injured this teams floor is 3 losses @Jags @Seattle @Lions; with a shot at a perfect season if no key stars go down.

Pump the brakes there bud! I love the optimism, but 4 weeks does not a season make. And this team still hasn’t really been tested at it’s weak points yet (Corners, interior DL, RB/LB depth and yes QB). Everything has come up Vikes thus far, enjoy it, but I still don’t see them going undefeated or even 14-3. Just beat the Jets overseas next week and then rest up during the bye because it’s 12 weeks of all gas no brakes after that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the Jets lost to the Broncos 10-9 at home yesterday. Ouch.

Ripjiggen

Agree Werm. Interior Dline is less of a concern for me at this point as I think they can scheme part of that.
    Ivan pace backup has been pretty good last two weeks. Can not pronounce or spell his name but another undrafted guy.

Byron Murphy makes me nervous going forward. Love was going at him all second half until he threw that dumb pass right to Murphy.

Bass Pundit

I’m not pumping the breaks. I think I see this team and how good they are and will be clearly. I think the league is down this year and the Vikes are in a position to be dominant. What we saw the first four weeks wasn’t a fluke. I thought so after we beat the 9ers and the past two games only confirmed it. Addison is a legit star. Darnold has come into his own under Shanny and KOC; Soon he will be getting another legit star target with Hock. Good luck holding this Offense under 30 points, we are just too good at the skill positions and upfront. The D is deep with whip-smart players that know their roles. These guys are going to get better and will be a terror at home. Kwesi/KOC/Flores vision for this year has come together perfectly. If they remain healthy and don’t make the Super Bowl it will be a disappointment. I expect we are going to be Division Champs and the #1 Seed in the NFC if the core stays healthy. I have a high level of confidence in that assessment.

Bass Pundit

I think the Jets lost to the Broncos 10-9 at home yesterday. Ouch.

Weather was terrible from my understanding, but the Broncos beat the crap out of A-Rog. Sacked him 5 times and hit him 14 times in total. A Rog may not survive the game this Sunday if they give up that kind of pressure after him getting beat up like that on Sunday.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

The Vikes defense looked real tired in the fourth, what did we go 3 punts and an int, guessing. If it weren’t for the monster first half we’d be sitting at 3-1. Love’s first game back picked us apart after half, maybe we played more conservative who knows but they have the running game covered, need to key in on the air game…

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240930_170110_Chrome.jpg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

*Not a diehard NFL guy* – it’s these proclamations that we’ll be looking back at in 12 weeks. The team gave up 28 or so unanswered. Hilarious take and let me know if you want to put money on it.

^^^^ At Bass Pundit

Bass Pundit

*Not a diehard NFL guy* – it’s these proclamations that we’ll be looking back at in 12 weeks. The team gave up 28 or so unanswered. Hilarious take and let me know if you want to put money on it.

^^^^ At Bass Pundit

The big wild card is injuries to who, when, and how severe. It is unlikely some key players don’t get dinged up. You did see that major caveat that I made repeatedly. My bases are covered on that major unknown and likely bugaboo.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

With the Seahawks loss to the Lions last night, the only two remaining unbeaten teams are the Vikings, and the 2 time defending champs, the Chiefs.

ThunderLund78

I think the Lions are the biggest threat in the conference to the Vikings and they happen to be in our division. That offense is ridiculous – two top tier RBs, a whole bunch of receiving weapons, and a solid QB with a SB winning pedigree. Goff pitched a perfect game last night against one of the league’s better pass defenses coming into the contest, plus he caught a TD.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Goff pitched a perfect game last night against one of the league’s better pass defenses coming into the contest, plus he caught a TD.

Haha, that was awesome.

18 for 18 passing AND caught a TD. Certainly a rare feat for an NFL quarterback.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Our Division is by far the toughest Division. Who ever wins the Division will have earned it and should be a big factor come playoff time.
    Current power rankings have the lions as high as 2. The Vikings as high as 3. The packers as high as 10. Chicago as high as 20. Having 3 in the top 10 is impressive. I think those rankings are all fair.

Brittman

Lions are for real. Offensively anyways. By land or air … that team can move the ball.

Pitter patter

Sunday will be a big let down game for the Vikings, no one knows them better than Rodgers. Be a coming out party for the Jets

Ripjiggen

Sunday will be a big let down game for the Vikings, no one knows them better than Rodgers. Be a coming out party for the Jets

rotflol

The Jets have been trying to come out for 10 years.
    Nobody knows them better than Rodger’s?
    What does him playing against a team 3 years ago have to do with playing them now? Pretty sure Harrison Smith is the only guy on D that even played then.

Let down? Like the packers were let down at home this past weekend.

Pitter Patter Packer…you may want to worry about your club vs rooting for their rival to lose.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

With the Seahawks loss to the Lions last night, the only two remaining unbeaten teams are the Vikings, and the 2 time defending champs, the Chiefs.

SB Preview and Spoiler Alert:

Chiefs vs. Vikings

Sharon
    SE Metro

And then there were two…
    jester

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4526.jpeg

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

^love that meme, but after 4 games, KC is looking like a scrappier team than MN

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Lions are good no doubt but they wil do a lions thing when it matters most, committing a penalty or stupid coaching decision. Fun game Monday but they commit a lot of penalties, especially on defense. There dbacks are a weakness and will burn them eventually.

CaptainMusky

He’s never played against a Flores defense.

ThunderLund78

SB Preview and Spoiler Alert:

Chiefs vs. Vikings

I think the chiefs will regress the rest of the season. Starting RB and Receiver now out. Still a force to be reckoned with and a well-coached team, but I don’t see them getting back to the big dance.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lions are good no doubt but they wil do a lions thing when it matters most

They were pretty close to going to the super bowl last season and would have played a team they beat on opening night had they advanced to it.

I’d say thats what matters most. These are not he lions of old, having a perfect 0-16 season, giving games away, or flailing about. They are a top contender in the NFC and the preseason favorites to win the division.

You could argue that the two games against them will be the two toughest games on the schedule.

I would never discount the Chiefs either. Even with the injuries they have. They just signed Kareem Hunt. He is capable of filling in for Pacheco and familiar with the Andy Reid offense. While they are not the high octane offense we might expect from the Chiefs, they are still the champs and until someone beats them in the playoffs, they will be the super bowl favorite. Last year they also proved they can win road playoff games too, not just at Arrowhead.

ThunderLund78

These are not he lions of old, having a perfect 0-16 season, giving games away, or flailing about. They are a top contender in the NFC and the preseason favorites to win the division.

Agree for the most part – but I think Dan Barreiro said it best…
    “The Meathead factor is high with this team” (referring to Dan Campbell)

People like him for taking risks, but live by the sword, die by the sword. We’ll see how the season plays out.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Jones got a very well-deserved welcome back. Mark Murphy (Packers team President) was the first person to give him a hug once he got out on the field and Brian Gutekunst (GM) wasn’t far behind.

really cool moment here signing some kids’ shirts. i mean, i guess it is if you like guys in purple… whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 601 through 630 (of 723 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.