2024 Vikings

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Vikes looked good but if the 49ers had McCaffery out here it would have been a different outcome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Vikes looked good but if the 49ers had McCaffery out here it would have been a different outcome.

True, but what about the Vikings not having Addison or Hockenson and then only 1+ quarter of Jefferson?

Our defense was unreal other than the always stupid “prevent to win” defense they played in the final 3 minutes…The plays the 49ers did make in the game were all well earned passes and catches, the coverage was always there…Run defense for sure needs some tweaking though…but the 49ers are a really good team with an offensive guru coach…

Darnold showed me some things in that 4th quarter drive that ate 7+ minutes and needed 3 really good 3rd down passes for 1st downs…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It was very warm and humid in the stadium yesterday. West doors open and I do not believe they turned on the air (or turned it up enough) until late in the game (maybe). I believe a few players were cramping on dehydration.

I had a co worker who was there and he said the same thing, even before he got there. These warm September afternoon games with the sun beating through the glass ceiling turn that place into an oven. Plus 70,000 warm bodies drinking beer.

I’m going next Sunday against Houston and I hope its not so freaking hot in there. Temperature control is an issue in that building.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brittman wrote:</div>
    It was very warm and humid in the stadium yesterday. West doors open and I do not believe they turned on the air (or turned it up enough) until late in the game (maybe). I believe a few players were cramping on dehydration.

I had a co worker who was there and he said the same thing, even before he got there. These warm September afternoon games with the sun beating through the glass ceiling turn that place into an oven. Plus 70,000 warm bodies drinking beer.

I’m going next Sunday against Houston and I hope its not so freaking hot in there. Temperature control is an issue in that building.

That’s funny to hear because whenever the TV showed the crowd most people were fanning themselves and I said to myself I thought that place was air conditioned?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It is air conditioned! But simple math says that when the sun is beating down right over head and you have 70,000 individual ovens all sweating and drinking beer, its gonna get warm. I’ve been in that stadium more than once when it was like that too.

Obviously they have to open the big doors to let people in but my god, whoever’s in charge of the thermostat there outta know better. Crank that AC up when its nearly 90 degrees in September outside.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It is air conditioned! But simple math says that when the sun is beating down right over head and you have 70,000 individual ovens all sweating and drinking beer, its gonna get warm. I’ve been in that stadium more than once when it was like that too.

Obviously they have to open the big doors to let people in but my god, whoever’s in charge of the thermostat there outta know better. Crank that AC up when its nearly 90 degrees in September outside.

certainly not their first hot day game/event to plan for…Wilf’s saving a few $$ on A/C and it forces fans to purchase for liquids )

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They can keep them closed and still let everyone in, otherwise they’d never get it reheated when it’s -20. The Vikings do have to declare 90 minutes before kickoff if they will be open or closed and then stick with that decision though. I wonder if they wanted it warm as a surprise/advantage.

This defense is unlike something we have seen in purple in a while! And I don’t hear much from the “gotta fix the OL” people anymore with basically the same lineup as the last couple years. Beating the 9ers without Addison, Hockenson, and Jets for most of the game is pretty dang impressive. Stay healthy and take care of the ball, and the sky’s the limit. I don’t think EPG needs to go chair shopping, after the unfortunate dumpster fire last year, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put aside a few bucks. rotflol jester rotflol

CaptainMusky

Ive said it from the beginning, this is NOT a bad team. THey were ravaged with injuries to key players last year. Losing your QB1 and WR1 for the season is killer. I didnt think Darnold would be an upgrade over Cousins, but he just might be. This will be another real test this week. The 9ers are legit and the fact they held them down even without McCaffrey is pretty impressive. THey have a lot of weapons.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I didnt think Darnold would be an upgrade over Cousins

I think he is with the current O-line. Guys has some wheels when needed.

-J.

CaptainMusky

I would say he has more talent then Cousins and he definitely doesnt do the famous Cousins checkdowns when there is a chance to get something big. That 98 yard touchdown is a prime example.

JEREMY
    BP

Lots of talk about a great defense. They did give up 400 yards.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would say he has more talent then Cousins and he definitely doesnt do the famous Cousins checkdowns when there is a chance to get something big. That 98 yard touchdown is a prime example.

Cousins has/had better arm talent, but I love how Sam moves around in the pocket and uses his feet when he’s given the opportunity vs Cousins giving up on the play and turtling for the sack…

CaptainMusky

IDK if he had better arm talent. That 98 yarder the ball traveled 60 yards through the air and was right on target.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m not sold on that. CMC is obviously capable of incredible feats of athleticism, but so far in his career, last year’s run for him seems like the outlier. He’s always been injury prone, which is unfortunate for him, but the reality is he wasn’t there. Vikes are missing a ton of starters (or would-be starters) as well. Mason is a monster, glad we were able to secure a win!

JoeMX1825
    MN

The 49ers are an offensive machine though, if you focus on stopping 1 guy, they have 4 more that can kill ya… I thought it was a strange 400 yards though, never did I feel like the 49ers were just getting yards at will (other than the stupid 70 they gave up in prevent defense in 2 minutes at the end of the game) Deebo had a quiet 110 yards? I can only remember 3 or 4 catches by him all game?

It did feel like Mason could get yards on every carry though, so run defense is something they absolutely need to work on, but if you stop them on the big plays, total yards doesn’t mean much more than time of possession…

Walleye Man42

Also are depth has got a lot better since Qwesi and Kevin arrived. Our second and third string went undefeated in the preseason. We just beat the NFC champions with our three best weapons not playing at all or Jefferson just 1/2 half.

Brittman

I like Cousins. That said … Cousins gets his third 2nd game of the season in Philly in a row. All on prime time. Let’s see how he does with the Falcons.

Brittman

Comment on who played in the game and who was not is somewhat irrelevant in the grand scheme of the NFL. One could say that almost every game often on both sides.

Darnold drove the field for a FG in the 4Q pretty much with 2nd and 3rd string running backs, receivers, and tight ends.

Nice to Nailor (2022 6th round) delivering when they need him.

Charles

ut I love how Sam moves around in the pocket and uses his feet when he’s given the opportunity vs Cousins giving up on the play and turtling for the sack…

For a short game or quick passess, it seams like the Sam is making the longball more often than cousins ever did.

Brittman

Deebo and Kittle combined for about 185 yards in the air. Aiyuk added in another 43.

49ers had two very solid drives. One was the 99-yard drive after the Viking fumble in front of the endzone. The second one was drive against the prevent roll over defense. 49ers chose to kick a FG and try the onside kick.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

THey were ravaged with injuries to key players last year. Losing your QB1 and WR1 for the season is killer.

Cousins didn’t get injured right away though. He was in there for a number of games and the win versus the niners last season on MNF is what turned the corner.

They lost close games early in the season last year because they committed too many turnovers. That trend never stopped throughout the entire season. I think they led the league in negative turnover margin last season, even though they were competitive in every game except one.

This year, they are winning that turnover battle, or staying even with it, so far. That’s the difference IMO. KOC’s teams win games when they win that stat, and they lose it when they don’t. The data backs it up.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Meh, 156 of those yards were on their last 2 drives in the 4th quarter. Yards are overrated, we are accustomed to seeing great yardage stats at the end of a L, call them Kirk Cousin yards if you will. rotflol chased

ThunderLund78

I was there. Got to the tailgate party at about 9am, had plenty of refreshments and went inside. Thought 2nd & 11 on your own 3 was a good time to go to the bathroom and missed the biggest play of the game! Screamed my head off most of the time, crowd was really into the game. Found my way out to the lot afterwards for a few more refreshments, woke up today and watched the Youtube highlights and didn’t remember seeing half of the plays. It was a GREAT day!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Without a good QB you have no chance in the NFL. Darnold was a high draft pick and fits the mold. He played for two crap teams (Jets and Panthers) before sitting in SF for a year.

Maybe, just maybe he can be The Guy until McCarthy is ready… waytogo

Ripjiggen

Without a good QB you have no chance in the NFL. Darnold was a high draft pick and fits the mold. He played for two crap teams (Jets and Panthers) before sitting in SF for a year.

Maybe, just maybe he can be The Guy until McCarthy is ready… waytogo

The only problem with that philosophy is you are not going to know when he is ready and Sam is on a 1 year contract.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The only problem with that philosophy is you are not going to know when he is ready and Sam is on a 1 year contract.

Agree, but it would be nice to have hope for this season AND have hope for the QB of the future toast

Brittman

Let’s let Darnold put on his Cousin’s cap. The one-year contract realistically gives Sam one last chance at a lucrative starting QB role and salary. If he plays well he will demand a pretty significant pay raise.

He was 3rd in the 2018 NFL Draft … Mayfield, Barkley, Darnold, Ward. He never worked out with the Jets and then moved on to the Panters, 49ers, and Vikings.

As Purdy’s backup last year, I would imagine that he had a bit to share with the Vikings defensive coaching staff in preparation for the game.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

If Uncle Sam puts lightning in a bottle and takes the Vikes to the NFC Championship game to stay or go will be in Sam’s hands. He could be a money grubber and go to the highest bidder like Cousins or he could be a team guy and still get paid handsomely leaving the Vikes with plenty of meat on the bone to keep the team Championship caliber. Love or hate Tom Brady, he was a team QB in NE that spread the wealth literally and was rewarded with so many Super Bowl appearances it’s ridiculous.

CaptainMusky

I’m going to say this about Darnold probably already did but no chance Cousins takes the chance on that 97 yard touchdown. Cousins has the ability but he was always too worried about failing.

Charles

I’m going to say this about Darnold probably already did but no chance Cousins takes the chance on that 97 yard touchdown. Cousins has the ability but he was always too worried about failing.

Yes yes, he would not have taken of the chances of throwing the long ball.

Viewing 30 posts - 451 through 480 (of 491 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.